Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

was "forks." now ... getting a new bike

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 443 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
12 May 2006
Last activity
15 May 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
443
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I suppose this is like everything else, i.e. a $4000 guitar is going to
    be better than one for $200. but do I really need one for $4000?

    QUESTION how much do I need to spend on a mountain bike to get
    something I'll be happy with for a couple years?

    I have a job and can afford stuff. but I have no illusions that I need
    the hottest bike with the latest gimmick on the market. I'll never be a
    pro biker but I do consider biking a strong interest.

    2. What lines and models should I look into?

    3. Where should I consider making my purchase?

    Any other advice? Thanks a bunch.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I suppose this is like everything else, i.e. a $4000 guitar is going to
    be better than one for $200. but do I really need one for $4000?

    QUESTION how much do I need to spend on a mountain bike to get
    something I'll be happy with for a couple years?

    I have a job and can afford stuff. but I have no illusions that I need
    the hottest bike with the latest gimmick on the market. I'll never be a
    pro biker but I do consider biking a strong interest.

    2. What lines and models should I look into?

    3. Where should I consider making my purchase?

    Any other advice? Thanks a bunch.

    Go to several bike shops, tell them what kind of riding you want to do
    and test ride some bikes.
    Buy the ones that feels the best when you ride it and don't worry about
    what brands they are. Most big bike companies make bikes ranging from
    utter [censored] to really, really nice. You'll want something in the middle
    and should be able to get it for well under $1000, and maybe even under
    $500 (depending on your needs and preferences).

    Matt

  3. MattB said:

    utter [censored] to really, really nice. You'll want something in the middle
    and should be able to get it for well under $1000, and maybe even under
    $500 (depending on your needs and preferences).

    Matt

    Especially if you buy a hardtail, you'll get a superb bike for $600. I
    just bought a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper Comp and expect it to last me
    for 6 years of occasionally hard riding. If you buy a $5-600 full
    suspension, you'll get a relatively poor bike, but it'll probably get
    you by.

    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
    I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
    trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
    the most insidious of traitors."
    George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,


  4. Quoted message said:


    2. What lines and models should I look into?

    I was just in the same position as you and purchased a Gary Fisher Hoo
    Koo E Koo. I love it. I previously had a Kona Fire MOuntain, but the
    Hoo Koo E KOO is a huge step up. I also tested the Trek 6700, which I
    did not like as much

    Final desicion was to go for a better frame (zr9000) over the better
    components of the Trek.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Where should I consider making my purchase?

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I suppose this is like everything else, i.e. a $4000 guitar is going to
    be better than one for $200. but do I really need one for $4000?

    I have a $300 Les Paul knock-off that will make a $3,000 Gibson sound like a
    Walmart guitar...now translate that into the bike world...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  6. "Carla A-G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I suppose this is like everything else, i.e. a $4000 guitar is going to
    be better than one for $200. but do I really need one for $4000?

    I have a $300 Les Paul knock-off that will make a $3,000 Gibson sound like
    a
    Walmart guitar...now translate that into the bike world...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    hah, not likely...I'd be willing to bet my 3k Gibson Les Paul Custom sounds
    just a wee bit better...actually probably alot better...but that is not to
    say yours doesn't sound fine, at least to your ears..

    Dave (unless of course you have an Epiphone!)

  7. "Dave W" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hah, not likely...I'd be willing to bet my 3k Gibson Les Paul Custom


    sounds

    Quoted message said:

    just a wee bit better...actually probably alot better...but that is not to
    say yours doesn't sound fine, at least to your ears..

    Dave (unless of course you have an Epiphone!)

    Gibson has gone downhill the past few years, if you haven't noticed (yes,
    Epiphone makes equivalent and better quality guitars now, that's for sure).
    I have a Dean Les Paul knock-off, and it sounds pretty nice, I must say (
    and not just my ears only). A lot of the sound from any guitar (no matter
    how cheap it is), has to do with the amp. A nice, warm vintage tube amp will
    make most guitars sound like beautiful instruments. Anyways, I like our
    Fenders better, Jim has the telecaster, I have the strat...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. "Carla A-G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dave W" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    A lot of the sound from any guitar (no matter
    how cheap it is), has to do with the amp. A nice, warm vintage tube amp
    will
    make most guitars sound like beautiful instruments.

    Agreed!!

    Quoted message said:

    Anyways, I like our
    Fenders better, Jim has the telecaster, I have the strat...

    I don't know about "better" but I certainly like em as well!

    Dave

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.