Road Cycling · Public discussion

Visiting Alpe d'Huez TT

Started by debe · · Last activity · 8 posts · 674 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 June 2004
Last activity
21 June 2004
Original author
debe
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
674
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all !

    I know there is quite a number of guys aroung
    in rbr that have watched the TdF live on the road,
    thus I would like to gain some knowledge from
    your experiences.

    My girl and I want to visit the Alpe d'Huez TT stage
    this year and I am not quite sure yet, what our chances
    are to actually catch a spot. As far as I've heard yet
    and seen on TV the town in the valley is pretty packed
    the day before the stage.

    The current plan is:
    The stage takes place on July 21st.
    Since this year the TT should start pretty early,
    I don't know when the roads will be closed for spectators
    to go uphill on bikes.
    We want to go up the hill by car on July 19th (2 days before),
    spend the 20th there and watch the stage on the 21st.
    We have a small Volkswagen Polo, so I hope to catch
    a small side along the road somewhere, and we have a tent
    etc. with us to stay overnight.

    - When does the first rider start the race, 10 o'clock in the morning?

    - Is there an actual chance of putting up the tent somewhere
    or would we have to sleep in the car?

    - How packed is the hill 2 days prior to the stage?

    - Would it be more wise to camp "wild" somewhere in the valley
    and walk up the hill early in the morning? Is there any chance
    of catching a spot for putting up the tent somewhere close to
    the town?

    I would be greatful for any suggestions/hints/information.

    Best regards
    debe

  2. debe said:


    - Is there an actual chance of putting up the tent somewhere
    or would we have to sleep in the car?

    I've wild camped over at the col de la Sarenne, this is also a back way
    into l'Alpe d'Huez and I've camped at the lac Blanc. There is no
    official camping at l'Alpe d'Huez but the lac Blanc would have the
    advantage of having the excellent chalet-restaurant of the same name
    nearby. You could ask the tourist office if they are setting up a
    temporary camp site.

    Quoted message said:

    - Would it be more wise to camp "wild" somewhere in the valley
    and walk up the hill early in the morning? Is there any chance
    of catching a spot for putting up the tent somewhere close to
    the town?

    There are campsites in Bourg but they are probably pretty full. I would
    consider one of the official sites around Allemond.

    My parents-in-law normally watch the stage, they leave their car at
    Bourg at around 10am and walk up to la Garde. The followed the whole
    stage by helicopter once!

    Personally I would have thought the corner near the church at Huez
    village would offer a good vantage point both up and down the hill. Take
    some good binoculars.

    If you cycle up be sure to lock your bike.

    There is also a bed and breakfast (gite d'etape) in Sardonne, another
    back route into Huez.

    http://www.oisans.com/hebergements/gites/sardonnier/english/index.html

    The gite is owned by Gillian Fabre.

  3. Quoted message said:

    When does the first rider start the race, 10 o'clock in the morning?

    Sounds about correct: 200 riders, 2 minutes interval= 400' 6h40', Last arrival
    around 17H
    or may be a little early, like first rider at 9h.
    Unless they have them start with 1 minute interval??

    Quoted message said:

    - Is there an actual chance of putting up the tent somewhere
    or would we have to sleep in the car?

    You can find spot to put your car and the tent close to it, so you can use
    both.

    Quoted message said:

    - How packed is the hill 2 days prior to the stage?

    More than likely starting to built, but you should be able to find a spot

    Quoted message said:

    Would it be more wise to camp "wild" somewhere in the valley
    and walk up the hill early in the morning? Is there any chance
    of catching a spot for putting up the tent somewhere close to
    the town?

    It s another option, less convenient than the first one though. With your tent
    and car with you, it s like the TDF is going in front of your house. You can
    have breakfast, aperitif, lunch, even take a little nap...:-)
    But if you want, there is camping places in Bourg d' Oisans, the town in the
    valley.

    Info on bycicle around Bourg d ' Oisans"
    http://www.cycling.uk.net/alps/bdo.htm

    Campings:
    A LA RENCONTRE DU SOLEIL ****
    Bourg d'Oisans, tél. 04 76 79 12 22, fax : 04 76 80 26 37, email :
    [email hidden], 73 emplacements, ouvert : du 10/05 au 14/09,
    Rest.bar-salle de réunion-salle de jeu- lave linge-sèche
    linge-parking-piscine-animation-accès pers.mobilité réduite-ch.vac.acceptés -
    loc.chalets

    LA CASCADE ****
    Bourg d'Oisans, tél. 04.76.80.02.42, fax : 04 76 80 22 63, email :
    [email hidden], internet : http://pro.wanadoo.fr/camping.lacascade, 123
    emplacements, ouvert : du 15/12 au 30/09, bar - snack -salle TV/jeux - piscine
    - animations - salle de réunion - lave linge - sèche linge - local vélos -
    accès pers.mob.réd. - ch.vac.accept.

    LE COLPORTEUR ***
    Bourg d'Oisans - 38520, tél. 04.76.79.11.44, fax : 04.76.79.1.49, email :
    [email hidden], 135 emplacements, ouvert : mim-mai à fin
    septembre, rest. bar - salle TV/jeux/réunion - animations - lave linge - sèche
    linge - local vélos - ac. pers. mob. réd. ch.vac.accept. loc.chalets

    LE VERNIS ***
    Bourg d'Oisans, tél. 04.76.80.02.68, email : [email hidden],
    internet : http://www.oisans.com/le-vernis, 54 emplacements, ouvert : du 15/12
    au 25/04 et du 1/06 au 10/09, Salle de réunion/jeux - piscine - mini golf -
    lave linge -local skis- aire aménagée campings car - ch.vac.accept -
    loc.chalets/bung/carav/ -

    LA PISCINE **
    Bourg d'Oisans, tél. 04.76.80.02.41, fax : 04.76.11.01.26, email :
    [email hidden], internet : http://www.camping-piscine.com, 126
    emplacements, ouvert : toute l'année, rest/ bar - salle TV/jeux/réunion -
    animat.- gde piscine - lave/sèche linge - park. privé - local skis/vélos -
    ac.pers. mob.réd. ch.vac. - loc.chalets

    or here:
    http://www.bourgdoisans.com/otbo/index_fr.htm
    I could not access the english version though.

    Have fun

  4. This is what it was like three years ago:
    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/misc/tour-2001.html

    Two days before the race the road up the mountain will be pretty
    packed full. There will be plenty of places along the secondary
    roads to pitch a tent though. By the night before the race
    almost every available flat spot will be taken.

    If it were me I would put a rack on top of the car and bring
    bicycles.

    The road will be closed fairly early and that includes bicycle
    traffic. Once the TT starts it is foot traffic only on the
    course.

    It is hard to predict what the atmosphere will be like. With
    a regular road stage there is a big buildup until the race
    actually comes through. With a TT there is racing going on
    all day and the road isn't available for partying and dancing.
    I'm expecting it to be insane but not as insane as a
    typical road stage up the Alpe.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

  5. debe said:

    I know there is quite a number of guys aroung
    in rbr that have watched the TdF live on the road,
    thus I would like to gain some knowledge from
    your experiences.


    as would many others! thanks much for posting this, and to the
    folks that have replied with good solid facts.

    i bought a copy of the beautiful velopress "alpe d'huez the
    legend" book, which i highly recommend. the photos starting on
    page 6 clearly show where folks are camped prior the arrival of
    the peleton. now the maps really make sense!

    in the photos, the course turns left at the Y that's 2
    switchbacks below the top. is that always the case?

    it appear that folks are tenting on the hill above the last
    switchback.

    i'll be the one in the rei half dome with the alaska flag.

    can anyone tell us the price range(s) for lunch and dinner in the
    restaurants in l'alpe?

    i presume that because of the altitude, it can chill quickly at
    night. will a fleece blanket bag be sufficient, or should i
    bring my down bag?

  6. Quoted message said:

    can anyone tell us the price range(s) for lunch and dinner in the
    restaurants in l'alpe?

    Depends of your way to lunch or dinner, but i d say you can get a lunch for
    12/15 Euros, dinner for 20/up...

    Alpe d Huez , as a resort has higher prices than the valley. Also being one of
    the Tour stage , there is always the risk of rip off or price increase.

    I d recommend for lunch to shop at the Supermarket in Bourg d Oisans or in the
    little stores in Bourg d oisans ( bread, ham, cheese, fruits, ... ... ) and to
    do a summer pic-nic.
    And keep the restaurant option for Dinner.
    I d go away fron l Alpe d huez though.

    As for the altitude and the chill, Yes, this is mountain, the weather and
    temperature can change drastically very quickly. I ll take the down bag.

  7. Quoted message said:

    Hi all !

    I know there is quite a number of guys aroung
    in rbr that have watched the TdF live on the road,
    thus I would like to gain some knowledge from
    your experiences.

    My girl and I want to visit the Alpe d'Huez TT stage
    this year and I am not quite sure yet, what our chances
    are to actually catch a spot. As far as I've heard yet
    and seen on TV the town in the valley is pretty packed
    the day before the stage.

    The assumption is that the mountain may collapse under the weight of all of
    the spectators, since there won't be any other places to watch the race...
    no other mountain cols... just one little 12k piece of roadway for all those
    fans.

    Quoted message said:

    The current plan is:
    The stage takes place on July 21st.
    Since this year the TT should start pretty early,
    I don't know when the roads will be closed for spectators
    to go uphill on bikes.

    Rumor has it that the roads into town will be closed to both cars *AND*
    bikes extremely early on the morning of the race. This is not typical;
    normally, they allow bikes to ride into the vicinity of a stage anytime they
    want (although not on the course itself). How successful they'll be is
    anybody's guess, but at present the plans are such that they won't allow
    anyone to even get close to the town that morning.

    Quoted message said:

    We want to go up the hill by car on July 19th (2 days before),
    spend the 20th there and watch the stage on the 21st.
    We have a small Volkswagen Polo, so I hope to catch
    a small side along the road somewhere, and we have a tent
    etc. with us to stay overnight.

    - When does the first rider start the race, 10 o'clock in the morning?

    They haven't yet posted the details, but I'm guessing it will start later
    than that. In general, all stages are designed to finish at around 5pm, in
    order to maximize TV news coverage. That means longer stages start earlier
    than shorter stages. If we assume 150 riders remain by this stage, with a
    one-minute interval for the first 90 riders, two-minutes for the next 30 and
    then three minutes for the final thirty, it would take 4 hours, meaning
    that the first rider would be off at 1pm. This is entirely guesswork at
    this point.

    Quoted message said:

    - Is there an actual chance of putting up the tent somewhere
    or would we have to sleep in the car?

    You see people doing either. There seems to be little regard for pitching
    tents on private property, nor does anybody seem to mind.

    Quoted message said:

    - How packed is the hill 2 days prior to the stage?

    I've ridden up Alpe d'Huez two days prior to a normal stage up the mountain,
    and there weren't too many people on it at that time. However, that's on a
    normal stage, not one in which there are many other places to watch the
    race. The climb up Alpe d'Huez, as famous as it is, is, aside from the
    actual finish, just another climb. It's crazy to try and get anyplace near
    the finish of a stage, by the way. My point is that it's likely to be
    pretty intense compared to a normal stage. Tough to know exactly what to
    expect, because a TT up Alpe d'Huez (for the TDF) has never been done
    before, if I recall correctly.

    Quoted message said:

    - Would it be more wise to camp "wild" somewhere in the valley
    and walk up the hill early in the morning? Is there any chance
    of catching a spot for putting up the tent somewhere close to
    the town?

    The "town" isn't that big, and is likely to be pretty over-run. However,
    get a good Michelin map and study the side roads. It's truly amazing how
    uncongested the alternate routes can be; you'd think the "locals" (French
    cycling fans, as opposed to tourists from elsewhere) would have a clue about
    such things, but no, they sit in their cars, for hours and hours, creeping
    along towards the stage. The experienced tour operators, on the other hand,
    know the back roads quite well (having been there before) and get in and out
    much more quickly.

    Quoted message said:

    I would be greatful for any suggestions/hints/information.

    Best regards
    debe

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  8. Thanks all for your extensive
    replies !

    Got the information I needed, and will report
    when I'm back from the TdF including pictures.

    Best regards
    debe

    debe said:

    Hi all !

    I know there is quite a number of guys aroung
    in rbr that have watched the TdF live on the road,
    thus I would like to gain some knowledge from
    your experiences.

    My girl and I want to visit the Alpe d'Huez TT stage
    this year and I am not quite sure yet, what our chances
    are to actually catch a spot. As far as I've heard yet
    and seen on TV the town in the valley is pretty packed
    the day before the stage.

    The current plan is:
    The stage takes place on July 21st.
    Since this year the TT should start pretty early,
    I don't know when the roads will be closed for spectators
    to go uphill on bikes.
    We want to go up the hill by car on July 19th (2 days before),
    spend the 20th there and watch the stage on the 21st.
    We have a small Volkswagen Polo, so I hope to catch
    a small side along the road somewhere, and we have a tent
    etc. with us to stay overnight.

    - When does the first rider start the race, 10 o'clock in the morning?

    - Is there an actual chance of putting up the tent somewhere
    or would we have to sleep in the car?

    - How packed is the hill 2 days prior to the stage?

    - Would it be more wise to camp "wild" somewhere in the valley
    and walk up the hill early in the morning? Is there any chance
    of catching a spot for putting up the tent somewhere close to
    the town?

    I would be greatful for any suggestions/hints/information.

    Best regards
    debe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.