Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

vintage 600 brake lever hoods?

Started by maxo · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,323 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 August 2005
Last activity
9 August 2005
Original author
maxo
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,323
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The dia-comp generic hoods on my lovely circa 78-9 Shimano 600 levers are
    splitting--though still quite nice and rubbery. They never fit well in the
    first place--though they feel fine in hand, just look odd. The rubber
    hangs too far over the lever.

    I'm thinking about a replacement--I'm sure I could modify some of those
    old dia-comp type hoods to sorta fit with an exacto knife--but curious if
    something else might fit better.

    I could also just grab a pair of cheapie Tektro levers for fifteen bucks
    and be done with it--but I do love the drilled look of the old 600s (I can
    lock a wheel from the hoods, so they function just fine). Have also peeked
    at the Cane Creek scr-5s (made by tektro) which are campy ergo minus the
    shifter clones--they look quite nice too--but it seems silly to replace
    the entire lever for want of hood.

    Anybody know if modolo hoods fit these or did Shimano have strictly their
    own hood shape?

  2. maxo <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    The dia-comp generic hoods on my lovely circa 78-9 Shimano 600 levers
    are splitting--though still quite nice and rubbery. They never fit
    well in the first place--though they feel fine in hand, just look odd.
    The rubber hangs too far over the lever.

    I'm thinking about a replacement--I'm sure I could modify some of
    those old dia-comp type hoods to sorta fit with an exacto knife--but
    curious if something else might fit better.

    I could also just grab a pair of cheapie Tektro levers for fifteen
    bucks and be done with it--but I do love the drilled look of the old
    600s (I can lock a wheel from the hoods, so they function just fine).
    Have also peeked at the Cane Creek scr-5s (made by tektro) which are
    campy ergo minus the shifter clones--they look quite nice too--but it
    seems silly to replace the entire lever for want of hood.

    Anybody know if modolo hoods fit these or did Shimano have strictly
    their own hood shape?

    My 600EX levers (2nd generation, ca. 1984 or so) are Campy clones. I
    picked up some generic hoods from LooseScrews.com and they worked great.

    That said, the 1st gen ones you have look like the hoods are a cross
    between Dia-Compe and Campy. I have a feeling that your idea to get Dia-
    Compes and cut off the excess rubber is probably your best bet. I think
    if you went with Campy clones (or Modolos) you'd leave about a quarter-
    inch of aluminum from the lever body exposed.

    I saw this thread at Bikeforums.net
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-85985.html
    and this guy, doing a restoration of his (1st gen) 600EX bike wound up
    finding NOS sets of levers more easily than he found hoods. They list
    some current ebay auctions for levers w/hoods.

    FWIW, I'd go with the Cane Creeks, or their Tektro-branded Ergopower
    knockoff brethren (that go for about 10 bucks less than the Cane Creeks,
    or only slightly more than the pointy-top Tektros), if only for the
    return springs, which make any brakeset feel much snappier.

    I was sad to give up out-the-top cable routing, though. They had style,
    but were not compatible with cyclocross levers.

    -Hank

  3. Hank Wirtz said:

    That said, the 1st gen ones you have look like the hoods are a cross
    between Dia-Compe and Campy. I have a feeling that your idea to get Dia-
    Compes and cut off the excess rubber is probably your best bet. I think if
    you went with Campy clones (or Modolos) you'd leave about a quarter- inch
    of aluminum from the lever body exposed.

    Sounds about right--the dia-compe clones are pretty cheap--I'm not going
    to want to spend fifty bucks on some Campy rubber that *might* fit

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, I'd go with the Cane Creeks, or their Tektro-branded Ergopower
    knockoff brethren (that go for about 10 bucks less than the Cane Creeks,
    or only slightly more than the pointy-top Tektros), if only for the
    return springs, which make any brakeset feel much snappier.

    Yeah those Tektro "Ergopower" clones sure look comfy. I don't have a
    problem with mushy return though--part of the beauty of great cable
    routing and quality cables.

    Seems they would add a virtual inch to the height of the hood riding
    position since they appear to mount higher up on the bar compared to
    traditional levers.

    Quoted message said:

    I was sad to give up out-the-top cable routing, though. They had style,
    but were not compatible with cyclocross levers.

    Yup, it's a style issue--I do love the loops coming out the tops for some
    reason. :P I also like how the drilling looks. Wonder if they did that to
    save weight or just to be stylish?

    Here's the levers btw:
    http://photos17.flickr.com/20772845_1ede4a8bf2_o.jpg

  4. maxo said:

    The dia-comp generic hoods on my lovely circa 78-9 Shimano 600 levers are
    splitting--though still quite nice and rubbery. They never fit well in the
    first place--though they feel fine in hand, just look odd. The rubber
    hangs too far over the lever.

    ... Have also peeked
    at the Cane Creek scr-5s (made by tektro) which are campy ergo minus the
    shifter clones--they look quite nice too--but it seems silly to replace
    the entire lever for want of hood.

    Not as silly as you might suppose!

    Upgrading to those levers would result in a MAJOR improvement in braking
    on your bike, especially while riding on top of the hoods.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#aerobrake for a detailed
    explanation.

    http://harriscyclery.com/brakes

    Sheldon "Aero" Brown
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    | Take sides! Always take sides! |
    | You will sometimes be wrong--but the man who |
    | refuses to take sides must _always_ be wrong. |
    | Heaven save us from poltroons who fear |
    | to make a choice. --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. Sheldon Brown said:


    Upgrading to those levers would result in a MAJOR improvement in braking
    on your bike, especially while riding on top of the hoods.

    I can already lock the brakes at will from the hoods--does this
    "improvement" involve doing a really [censored]' endo? :P

    I'm aware of the mechanical advantage, so it *might* be worth it to make
    the braking feel lighter.

  6. maxo said:

    I can already lock the brakes at will from the hoods--does this
    "improvement" involve doing a really [censored]' endo? :P

    I'm aware of the mechanical advantage, so it *might* be worth it to make
    the braking feel lighter.

    Yeah, but you are ignoring the "baguettes" issue.

  7. Bob said:
    maxo said:

    I can already lock the brakes at will from the hoods--does this
    "improvement" involve doing a really [censored]' endo? :P

    I'm aware of the mechanical advantage, so it *might* be worth it to make
    the braking feel lighter.

    Yeah, but you are ignoring the "baguettes" issue.

    The fact that I "get" that comment makes me feel uber-cool. LOL

    Good for carrying golf umbrellas too!

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Hank Wirtz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    I was sad to give up out-the-top cable routing, though. They had style,
    but were not compatible with cyclocross levers.

    I was too until I felt the relief of not having to avoid the
    cables when moving my hands around; both riding and at rest. Now I
    prefer it. Still, for a modern bicycle, it resembles the older
    style very much.

    --
    Michael Press

  9. Michael Press <[email hidden]> wrote in news:jack-18161C.01015504082005
    @newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Hank Wirtz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    I was sad to give up out-the-top cable routing, though. They had style,
    but were not compatible with cyclocross levers.

    I was too until I felt the relief of not having to avoid the
    cables when moving my hands around; both riding and at rest. Now I
    prefer it. Still, for a modern bicycle, it resembles the older
    style very much.

    I hear you. That's one of the many reasons I decided on Ergopower rather
    than STI.

    (The main reason was that putting something non-European on a 30-year old
    Peugeot seemed heretical.)

    -Hank

  10. Sheldon Brown said:

    Not as silly as you might suppose!

    Upgrading to those levers would result in a MAJOR improvement in braking
    on your bike, especially while riding on top of the hoods.

    Well, I didn't feel like throwing $40 at my brakes so I checked to see if
    the Cane Creek SCR5s were available branded as Tektros.

    Sure enough my PFABS (pretty far away bike shop, Allanti in Brentwood TN)
    was able to get a set of Tektro R200A's for $25. Can't beat that--and the
    hoods don't have those annoying "lizard bumps".

    So if you're looking for excellent levers sans shifters and for
    cheeep--have your LBS order some. 🙂

    Here they are at Lickbike--at a fair 26.95:
    lickbike.comproductpage.aspx

    Harris has the Cane Creeks if you like the lizard bumps on the hoods. 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.