Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Using disc brakes with STI or ergo levers?

Started by paul_in_toronto · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,185 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 March 2006
Last activity
17 March 2006
Original author
paul_in_toronto
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,185
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    In regards to STI levers/ergo with cable disc brakes, anything special needed in the set up like.. a travel agent ? Is there cable disc brakes made to work with the road levers?

    Thanks

  2. FWIW... I put an Avid cable disc setup on my MTB last summer, but kept my XTR levers. Worked fine, no problems, didn't even have to adjust the leverage on the levers. (XTR/Dura Ace do have their advantages)

    However... I put a disc on largely for better dirty rim stopping power. I was having a problem with mud getting splattered on the rim, losing some braking ability, and hearing that scrunching sound that was telling me that my rim was getting chewed to pieces... Otherwise, I haven't noticed any great advantage of having a disc brake. Maybe heat, but since I'm not a hardcore DH rider, hot brakes haven't been a problem.

    Mud on the rim isn't a situation that you are likely to encounter much on the road. Plus, you would need a fork that is designed for disc brakes. I'm not sure that fitting a disc brake to a road bike is a good idea, the advantages are more theoretical than practical.

  3. You'll most likely need a Travel Agent or similar cable pull device to use most cable disc brakes with road levers.

  4. JohnO said:

    Mud on the rim isn't a situation that you are likely to encounter much on the road. Plus, you would need a fork that is designed for disc brakes. I'm not sure that fitting a disc brake to a road bike is a good idea, the advantages are more theoretical than practical.


    He didn't specify if this was for a road or cyclocross bike. Speaking of which, the Cannondale Cyclocross Disc (laziest bike name ever) is set up with 105 levers and Avid brakes. No Travel Agent.

  5. Although Avid markets a road (yes, road) disk brake, making them actually work with STI shifters requires a great deal of fooling around. First, try to adjust with what you have. When that doesn't work, try non-stretching cables. Then, Brake Power Boosters (manufactured by Sidetrak). Finally, just give up and resign yourself to the fact that the system just doesn't work well.

    Travel Agents put a lot of stress on the cables: BPB's don't and function similarly.

    For touring, you would be better off with Diacomp 287 brake levers and bar-end shifters. Cheaper, and you can fit a bigger handlebar bag.

    Some OEM's (Co-Motion for example) offer disk brakes and STI's, but the problems remain. The Avid road disk brake was introduced before it was ready for the market. Or maybe you'll get lucky. Feeling lucky? YMMV.

  6. my Cannondale road tandem came with Avid discs (the cable kind) and STI levers. apparently it came with downhill rotors (larger diameter). I don't know much about the iterations of disc brakes so as long as it had no fluid and it worked I was happy. I gave the STI levers to the shop and put on Ergo 10 levers. no problems so far.

    cdr

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.