Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Use of Sony Clie for maps

Started by Jdtpumps · · Last activity · 6 posts · 506 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 May 2004
Last activity
17 May 2004
Original author
Jdtpumps
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
506
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk
    crate. Anyone try this? Is it practical for the multi day
    trips? I always go the route less travelled, and although
    I don't mind getting a little lost, I still like to know
    where I am. BT

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Jdtpumps
    Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk
    crate. Anyone try this? Is it practical for the multi day
    trips? I always go the route less travelled, and although
    I don't mind getting a little lost, I still like to know
    where I am. BT

    Have you thought of GPS ...Garmin 60C or 60CS with a handlebar mount?
    The unit is expensive and only has built-in memory, but it holds something like 56 meg.
    I have used an older Black and White unit from Garmin but it's memory capacity is too small to go for more than a day with detailed county maps.
    Motorcyclist are using the Street Pilot 3 and the newer 2620 and 2610 units. I understand the 2620 has a small hard drive and holds details of the entire US. 2610 uses standard memory cartridges that can hold up to 2 gig. The Steet Pilot has Garmin proprietary memory modules. All these units take 12 volts to run.
    There is also a PDA version that works as a GPS that has a Garmin number.

  3. JDTPumps said:

    Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk
    crate. Anyone try this? Is it practical for the multi day
    trips? I always go the route less travelled, and although
    I don't mind getting a little lost, I still like to know
    where I am.

    I've also been contemplating this, fooled around with
    it a bit but haven't figured out the best
    resolution/scale to use.

    I've got an NZ90 with a 512 mb cf card, so I've got lots of
    room for maps, especially if I dump the MP3s I've got stored
    in it...never listen to those anyway since I got my iPod...

    Sheldon "Technophile" Brown +--------------------------------------------------
    +
    | The word processor to end all word processors: |
    | e-2.orgframe.html |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris
    Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com
    sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  4. "JDTPumps" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk crate.
    Anyone try this?

    I would argue the better solution is a good display GPS
    with topo maps on a DVD disk/laptop where you back up the
    GPS data to.

    My palm pilot went for a swim when I tired an unscheduled
    eskimo roll in the kayak and it never did really recover.

    Oddly enough I don't miss it enough to replace it. - best

    Andrew "he who has the least obvious technology is the
    coolest" Price

  5. [email hidden] (JDTPumps) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk
    crate. Anyone try this? Is it practical for the multi day
    trips? I always go the route less travelled, and although
    I don't mind getting a little lost, I still like to know
    where I am. BT

    Get a GPS. I use a Garmin e-Trex Vista and have the
    Mapsource CD. I used to have all of Pennsylvania downloaded
    to a street level (moved to another, much larger state that
    it won't hold every county). Bike mount is great, and when
    it gets sweat dripped on the face, I just rinse it off under
    the sink - it is completely sealed against water to a couple
    of feet. Batteries last for about 8-10 hours (NiMH
    rechargable AAs or whatever you can get at the convience
    store in a pinch).

    The downside is that searching for a street isn't as easy as
    it could be, and sometimes street names don't show on the
    somewhat small display. But the routing features more than
    make up for these minor problems.

    Eric

  6. [email hidden] (JDTPumps) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Been contemplating this. My county maps fill a milk
    crate. Anyone try this? Is it practical for the multi day
    trips? I always go the route less travelled, and although
    I don't mind getting a little lost, I still like to know
    where I am. BT

    I have a iPaq 4155 with a Socket Bluetooth GPS receiver.
    Receiver goes nicely in the back jersey pocket and still
    picks up the signal. You can get a rubber casing for the
    iPaq at MobilePlanet.com that I just mounted to the stem.
    It's shockproof, waterproof, etc. I use Ostia software
    which works pretty well for the US - not so sure if they'll
    have Euro maps done in time for my trip to Italy/France
    this summer...

    -a

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.