Road Cycling · Public discussion

USCF rule change -- a bad one

Started by John Forrest Tomlinson · · Last activity · 14 posts · 619 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 October 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
John Forrest Tomlinson
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
619
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  2. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.

    So if the rider comes down with the plague the day before the race,
    tough nuggies?

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  3. Thanks for the post. If this goes through, I'm officially removing
    myself from race promoting. I got abused enough this year, this rule
    change will make things much worse. Maybe I could deal with this for
    one event per year...but 5 or 6 events is too much. I simply won't do
    it.

    But I will voice my concerns with the ad and we'll see what happens.

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. I've found most promoters are fair about refunds, at least under
    extenuating circumstances. I think putting this rule into place will
    burden a promoter. Hey two weeks notice is one thing, but night
    before, maybe because the weather looks bad...no way. I do just cross
    races, so I prefer to use the ABR. I would recommend them to anyone
    and they honor USAC licenses.

    CH

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So if the rider comes down with the plague the day before the race,
    tough nuggies?

    If the promoter doesn't want to give the money back or want to deal
    with it, yes.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Mark & Steven Bornfeld said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.

    So if the rider comes down with the plague the day before the race,
    tough nuggies?

    If the promoter doesn't want to give the money back or want to deal
    with it, yes.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Quoted message said:

    I've found most promoters are fair about refunds, at least under
    extenuating circumstances. I think putting this rule into place will
    burden a promoter.

    I understand and agree.

    Steve

    Hey two weeks notice is one thing, but night

    Quoted message said:

    before, maybe because the weather looks bad...no way. I do just cross
    races, so I prefer to use the ABR. I would recommend them to anyone
    and they honor USAC licenses.

    CH

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So if the rider comes down with the plague the day before the race,
    tough nuggies?

    If the promoter doesn't want to give the money back or want to deal
    with it, yes.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  7. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.

    So if the rider comes down with the plague the day before the race,
    tough nuggies?

    If the promoter doesn't want to give the money back or want to deal
    with it, yes.

    Well, CH is right. A little common sense goes a long way. I figure
    standing too hard is going to hurt someone one way or the other.
    Depends on whose ox is being gored, huh?
    I don't know what entry fees are these days, so I don't know how big a
    deal this is to riders. Racing isn't much of a sport for poor people
    anyhow, I guess.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, John Forrest

    Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.

    This proposed rule change could be a real problem for promoters of
    really popular races. Think about what is likely to happen. A popular
    race that normally fills the field limit as it is. Riders will rush to
    pre-enter without worring if they can actually race that day or not
    because they can get most of their entry fee back if they can't race
    that day. The fields fill up with a lot of riders who can't actually
    make the race. Just before race day the refund requests start poring
    in. Now the promoter has to try and contact the people on the wait list
    to let them know there is now room for them in the race. Seems like a
    lot of extra work for promoters on the final days leading up to the
    race.

    People might want to also note the possible changes for Junior gear
    limits. Smaller gear restrictions for younger riders. The rule might be
    changed so that juniors will be restricted to their geas no matter what
    race they ride in. So officials migth have to check gears for any
    junior riding in an elite race. In an open junior race you might have
    riders with 3 different gear limits in the race ( so officials will
    have to know the aqge of the rider they are rolling out and which gear
    limit applies.

    I'm also not a fan of increasing the field limit for Cat 5 only races
    to 75. If this passes I see another license fee increase coming down
    the line to cover those extra medical insurance payments from
    additional accidents in the larger Cat 5 only races.

  9. Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the post. If this goes through, I'm officially removing
    myself from race promoting. I got abused enough this year, this rule
    change will make things much worse. Maybe I could deal with this for
    one event per year...but 5 or 6 events is too much. I simply won't do
    it.

    But I will voice my concerns with the ad and we'll see what happens.

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    No more pre-registration. It's now too risky to have the convenience
    of online pre-reg, so just let them all stand in line all morning. And
    if the fields fill up? Tough luck!

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    yeahyeah said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the post. If this goes through, I'm officially removing
    myself from race promoting. I got abused enough this year, this rule
    change will make things much worse. Maybe I could deal with this for
    one event per year...but 5 or 6 events is too much. I simply won't do
    it.

    But I will voice my concerns with the ad and we'll see what happens.

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    No more pre-registration. It's now too risky to have the convenience
    of online pre-reg, so just let them all stand in line all morning. And
    if the fields fill up? Tough luck!

    Prolly not. My second-hand experience is that organizers love online
    pre-reg, because it eliminates so much hassle. If anything, I would
    anticipate that more events will, if they think they can get away with
    it, start trying to go pre-reg only. Pre-reg is mandatory in most
    running races of any size, but then most running races of any size are
    much bigger than most cycling races of any size.

    I agree that writing refund policies into the USCF rule book is odd. Do
    they feel this will prevent some sort of awful existing abuses by
    promoters? Are cancelled race entries a significant profit source for
    promoters? I'm guessing no and no.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  11. I can tell you that our eastern trustee has been flooded with e-mails
    from New England promoters on the refund thing.....all against it. Add
    me as well; no need to mandate this in the rule book, as promoters
    usually do it anyway under reasonable circumstances. I say if you have
    to mandate it then apply a 72-hour cutoff -- if the promoter doesn't
    receive the request within 72 hours of the opening of registration then
    you're SOL.

    Alan

    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.

    From: " No rider shall be entitled to an entry fee refund when the
    organizer has fulfilled all the requirements of the agreement as
    specified in the official race announcement."

    To: "A rider who has pre-registered and paid the race fees is entitled
    to a percentage of his entry fee if the promoter is notified prior to
    the race. If the notification is made at least two weeks prior to the
    start of the race, the racer will be refunded no less than 90% of the
    race fees that are paid. This amount will be no less than 80% with
    notification is one-week prior to the race and 60% if notification is
    the day before the event. No refund after the day before the start of
    the race will be made when the organizer has fulfilled all the
    requirements of the agreement as specified in the official race
    announcement. [A rider, upon being disqualified, shall forfeit any
    fees already paid.]"

    This seems to add to the burden that many clubs and promoters have in
    putting on races and, IMO, should be defeated.

    I'd urge USCF members to let your area directors know about your
    opposition to this.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, Ryan

    Cousineau said:


    I agree that writing refund policies into the USCF rule book is odd. Do
    they feel this will prevent some sort of awful existing abuses by
    promoters? Are cancelled race entries a significant profit source for
    promoters? I'm guessing no and no.

    Remember that anyone can propose legislation no matter how good or bad
    the proposed rule change might be in the eyes of most people. Note that
    the propsal being discussed in this thread came from and individual and
    not from USAC staff.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Casey Kerrigan said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Ryan

    Cousineau said:


    I agree that writing refund policies into the USCF rule book is odd. Do
    they feel this will prevent some sort of awful existing abuses by
    promoters? Are cancelled race entries a significant profit source for
    promoters? I'm guessing no and no.

    Remember that anyone can propose legislation no matter how good or bad
    the proposed rule change might be in the eyes of most people. Note that
    the propsal being discussed in this thread came from and individual and
    not from USAC staff.

    Mm! Then perhaps some perspective about its chances of passage should be
    retained.

    Wait a minute, I've never done a USCF event in my life, and I've never
    asked for a refund either. Why am I bothering with this?

    Really, only I can answer that,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  14. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Take note of proposed change to 1G11.
    ... 60% if notification is
    the day before the event.

    As a race organizer, I see this proposed change as an event killer.
    Many times, walk-up registration is the only way to make small events
    break even or come out ahead, and weather is a key factor.

    Here's the scenario that I see: riders register way in advance, then
    their training isn't where they want it, then they look at the slight
    chance of possible rain in the weekend forecast, and they think "nah,
    I'll stay at home this weekend". They're only out $15, but the promoter
    has 3 or 4 dozen people doing this and BOOM, the event is in the red
    big time and the race doesn't ever come back.

    I encourage everyone, racers and organizers, to contact their regional
    coordinator to request that this proposal disappear, or else most of
    the weekend races will.

    Click on your state from the USACycling map to get your Regional Rep's
    contact info - http://www.usacycling.org/states/new/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.