Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

upgrading suntour 7-speed drivetrain to brifters

Started by Jbafromny · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,052 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 April 2004
Last activity
3 May 2004
Original author
Jbafromny
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,052
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an early 90's Specialized Sirrus Triple road bike
    with a Suntour drivetrain and downtube shifters. The
    combined brake/shift levers found on current roadbikes seem
    like a very good idea, and I'd love to have them, but am
    somewhat confused about what it would take to put them on my
    bike. Here are the specifics of what I have now. How much of
    this can be kept? What will have to go? What are some
    reasonable options for new components? Is this likely to run
    into as much money as an entire bike? If so, any opinions on
    whether this frame is a platform worth upgrading?

    Rear derailleur -- Suntour Edge (7-speed, index) Front
    derailler -- Suntour Edge Triple (non-index) Shifters --
    Suntour Edge downtube (7-speed, index) Rear hub/Cluster --
    Suntour "sealed" hub ("XC", I think) with (non-cassette) 7-
    speed freewheel Crankset/BB -- Sakae "Edge" road triple
    Brakes -- DiaCompe Edge single-pivot sidepulls Chain --
    Sedis (not sure of the model)

    Wheels -- Front and rear are non-matching. The rear is the
    Suntour described above with a Wolber (forgot the model),
    brown-ish colored anodized alloy rim. The front is a Shimano
    105 hub with the same rim as the rear. (I bought the bike as
    a close-out floor model which had undergone a mysterious
    wheel switcheroo)

    Frame -- Specialized "Direct Drive" cro-mo double-butted
    tubing throughout. Lugged and brzed; vertical dropouts;
    lawyer lips. It fits and I like the way it handles, but if
    it's one of those situations where everything has to go ...

    Everything on the bike still works, though shifting is
    definitely a little rougher than when it was new. I'm
    reasonably handy with a wrench (though lousy at truing and
    have never built a wheel). So I could do most of the work
    myself. I'm in NYC, where shops are lousy and expensive, so
    I'll probably have to anyway ...

    Thanks in advance for advice John

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Jbafromny
    I have an early 90's Specialized Sirrus Triple road bike
    with a Suntour drivetrain and downtube shifters. The
    combined brake/shift levers found on current roadbikes seem
    like a very good idea, and I'd love to have them, but am
    somewhat confused about what it would take to put them on my
    bike. Here are the specifics of what I have now. How much of
    this can be kept? What will have to go? What are some
    reasonable options for new components? Is this likely to run
    into as much money as an entire bike? If so, any opinions on
    whether this frame is a platform worth upgrading?

    Rear derailleur -- Suntour Edge (7-speed, index) Front
    derailler -- Suntour Edge Triple (non-index) Shifters --
    Suntour Edge downtube (7-speed, index) Rear hub/Cluster --
    Suntour "sealed" hub ("XC", I think) with (non-cassette) 7-
    speed freewheel Crankset/BB -- Sakae "Edge" road triple
    Brakes -- DiaCompe Edge single-pivot sidepulls Chain --
    Sedis (not sure of the model)

    Wheels -- Front and rear are non-matching. The rear is the
    Suntour described above with a Wolber (forgot the model),
    brown-ish colored anodized alloy rim. The front is a Shimano
    105 hub with the same rim as the rear. (I bought the bike as
    a close-out floor model which had undergone a mysterious
    wheel switcheroo)

    Frame -- Specialized "Direct Drive" cro-mo double-butted
    tubing throughout. Lugged and brzed; vertical dropouts;
    lawyer lips. It fits and I like the way it handles, but if
    it's one of those situations where everything has to go ...

    Everything on the bike still works, though shifting is
    definitely a little rougher than when it was new. I'm
    reasonably handy with a wrench (though lousy at truing and
    have never built a wheel). So I could do most of the work
    myself. I'm in NYC, where shops are lousy and expensive, so
    I'll probably have to anyway ...

    Thanks in advance for advice John

    I did a roughly parallel thing with a Suntour equipped bicycle when I could no longer buy Suntour cogs here in Australia. Suntour freewheels use variable spacing between cogs and this causes problems when used with other changers. Two suggestions:

    * Buy the Campagnolo changers of your choice, but have the right one fitted with an 8-speed index disk. Buy a Campagnolo rear derailleur of the appropriate length and a 7-speed freewheel with a 5 mm cog spacing, such as a Maillard. Keep your cranks and front derailleur – the left Campag changer will work with them perfectly.

    * Buy Campagnolo changers, rear derailleur, Campagnolo rear hub with 9-speed cassette, a 9-speed chain and a copy of Jobst Brandt’s “The Bicycle Wheel”. Re-build rear wheel. Use 10-speed stuff if you wish.

    In the first case you don’t need to re-build the wheel, but you are dependent of a supply of cogs for an old freewheel.

    Try to get replies from Peter Chisholm or Andrew Muzi – they have done a lot more of this stuff than I have.

    John Retchford

  3. JBAfromNY said:

    I have an early 90's Specialized Sirrus Triple road bike
    with a Suntour drivetrain and downtube shifters. The
    combined brake/shift levers found on current roadbikes
    seem like a very good idea, and I'd love to have them, but
    am somewhat confused about what it would take to put them
    on my bike. Here are the specifics of what I have now. How
    much of this can be kept? What will have to go? What are
    some reasonable options for new components? Is this likely
    to run into as much money as an entire bike? If so, any
    opinions on whether this frame is a platform worth
    upgrading?

    Rear derailleur -- Suntour Edge (7-speed, index) Front
    derailler -- Suntour Edge Triple (non-index) Shifters --
    Suntour Edge downtube (7-speed, index) Rear hub/Cluster --
    Suntour "sealed" hub ("XC", I think) with (non-cassette)
    7-speed freewheel Crankset/BB -- Sakae "Edge" road triple
    Brakes -- DiaCompe Edge single-pivot sidepulls Chain --
    Sedis (not sure of the model)

    Wheels -- Front and rear are non-matching. The rear is the
    Suntour described above with a Wolber (forgot the model),
    brown-ish colored anodized alloy rim. The front is a
    Shimano 105 hub with the same rim as the rear. (I bought
    the bike as a close-out floor model which had undergone a
    mysterious wheel switcheroo)

    Frame -- Specialized "Direct Drive" cro-mo double-
    butted tubing throughout. Lugged and brzed; vertical
    dropouts; lawyer lips. It fits and I like the way it
    handles, but if it's one of those situations where
    everything has to go ...

    Everything on the bike still works, though shifting is
    definitely a little rougher than when it was new. I'm
    reasonably handy with a wrench (though lousy at truing and
    have never built a wheel). So I could do most of the work
    myself. I'm in NYC, where shops are lousy and expensive,
    so I'll probably have to anyway ...

    Assuming the equipment is in good shape, that is, your front
    changer, brakes and crank are all serviceable and the bike
    fits, here's one upgrade path, showing all the necessary
    items: yellowjersey.orgergokit.html

    It is technically possible to get older seven speed Shimano
    STi shifters and a Shimano type freewheel, chain and a
    Shimano type rear changer ( and by that avoid replacing the
    rear wheel).

    But that would be a severely limited format and may have a
    hidden front shifting ( maybe a new front changer and crank
    with BB) expense. You'd also avoid retracking the frame to
    130mm, making that a possible at-home upgrade.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  4. A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Assuming the equipment is in good shape, that is, your
    front changer, brakes and crank are all serviceable and
    the bike fits, here's one upgrade path, showing all the
    necessary items: yellowjersey.orgergokit.html

    Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly ... This
    means that my front derailleur, brakes calipers, and cranks
    are all compatible with the campy levers, but that my rear
    derailleur and freewheel are not, correct?

    Quoted message said:


    It is technically possible to get older seven speed
    Shimano STi shifters and a Shimano type freewheel, chain
    and a Shimano type rear changer ( and by that avoid
    replacing the rear wheel).

    But that would be a severely limited format and may have a
    hidden front shifting ( maybe a new front changer and
    crank with BB) expense.

    I take it this means that there's some likelihood that
    Shimano shifters won't work with the Suntour front
    derailleur and the Sakae crank?

    Quoted message said:

    You'd also avoid retracking the frame to 130mm, making
    that a possible at-home upgrade.

    Do you [or anyone else] know whether it's a certainty that
    my Specialized frame would have to have the rear triangle
    spread out? Is there a way that I can check this?

    A couple of further follow through questions:

    1. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that that if I
    want to use current production Shimano brifters, I'd have
    to replace everything on the bike except the brake
    calipers, but that if I go Campy, I'd get to keep my
    crankset and front derailleur. Am I interpreting this
    correctly? Sorry to be dense about this, but if I go
    through with this I want to make sure I don't have to go
    through too many iterations.

    2. Looking around at component prices, and looking at what
    you would charge (which seems reasonable) for a
    conversion, it seems like this is a ca. $500 project
    (unless I can hunt down the questionable Shimano 7 speed
    items). I realize it's hard to make this kind of
    judgement, but is it worthwhile? In essence, I'd be
    spending $500 to wind up with used bike (which is what I
    paid for the bike new in 1991, FWIW). Is this $500 well
    spent, or could I get a better bike for the same money,
    say, a new Trek 1000?

    Thanks for your patience, John

  5. JBAfromNY quoted Andy Muzi:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Assuming the equipment is in good shape, that is, your
    front changer, brakes and crank are all serviceable and
    the bike fits, here's one upgrade path, showing all the
    necessary items: yellowjersey.orgergokit.html



    And re-asked:

    Quoted message said:


    Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly ...
    This means that my front derailleur, brakes calipers, and
    cranks are all compatible with the campy levers, but that
    my rear derailleur and freewheel are not, correct?


    Andy is correct, as usual.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    It is technically possible to get older seven speed
    Shimano STi shifters and a Shimano type freewheel, chain
    and a Shimano type rear changer ( and by that avoid
    replacing the rear wheel).

    But that would be a severely limited format and may have a
    hidden front shifting ( maybe a new front changer and
    crank with BB) expense.

    I take it this means that there's some likelihood that
    Shimano shifters won't work with the Suntour front
    derailleur and the Sakae crank?


    Yes.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You'd also avoid retracking the frame to 130mm, making
    that a possible at-home upgrade.

    Do you [or anyone else] know whether it's a certainty that
    my Specialized frame would have to have the rear triangle
    spread out? Is there a way that I can check this?

    Yes, take a ruler and measure your frame. There's an
    illustration of how to do this (as well as
    instructions for re-spacing the frame if needed) at:
    sheldonbrown.comframe spacing

    Quoted message said:

    A couple of further follow through questions:

    1. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that that if I
    want to use current production Shimano brifters, I'd
    have to replace everything on the bike except the brake
    calipers,

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    but that if I go Campy, I'd get to keep my crankset and
    front derailleur. Am I interpreting this correctly?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry to be dense about this, but if I go through with
    this I want to make sure I don't have to go through too
    many iterations.


    Going through multiple iterations is the most cost-effective
    way to go. You don't _know_ your old crank & bb won't work
    'til you try it. (Front derailers are so cheap that's not
    much of an issue.)

    Quoted message said:

    2. Looking around at component prices, and looking at
    what you would charge (which seems reasonable) for a
    conversion, it seems like this is a ca. $500 project
    (unless I can hunt down the questionable Shimano 7
    speed items). I realize it's hard to make this kind of
    judgement, but is it worthwhile? In essence, I'd be
    spending $500 to wind up with used bike (which is what
    I paid for the bike new in 1991, FWIW). Is this $500
    well spent, or could I get a better bike for the same
    money, say, a new Trek 1000?

    I'm afraid there's been excessive snippage from this thread,
    so I don't recall what kind of frame you've got, but if it's
    one of the older lugged steel Specialized models, it's
    likely very well worth fixing up...those were gorgeous,
    beautifully built frames.

    Sheldon "Old Frames, New Parts" Brown +----------------------------------------------
    +
    | Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless. |
    | Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop. |
    | --Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris
    Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com
    sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  6. JBAfromNY said:

    A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Assuming the equipment is in good shape, that is, your
    front changer, brakes and crank are all serviceable and
    the bike fits, here's one upgrade path, showing all the
    necessary items: yellowjersey.orgergokit.html

    Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly ...
    This means that my front derailleur, brakes calipers, and
    cranks are all compatible with the campy levers, but that
    my rear derailleur and freewheel are not, correct?

    Quoted message said:

    It is technically possible to get older seven speed
    Shimano STi shifters and a Shimano type freewheel, chain
    and a Shimano type rear changer ( and by that avoid
    replacing the rear wheel).

    But that would be a severely limited format and may have a
    hidden front shifting ( maybe a new front changer and
    crank with BB) expense.

    I take it this means that there's some likelihood that
    Shimano shifters won't work with the Suntour front
    derailleur and the Sakae crank?

    Quoted message said:

    You'd also avoid retracking the frame to 130mm, making
    that a possible at-home upgrade.

    Do you [or anyone else] know whether it's a certainty that
    my Specialized frame would have to have the rear triangle
    spread out? Is there a way that I can check this?

    A couple of further follow through questions:

    1. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that that if I
    want to use current production Shimano brifters, I'd
    have to replace everything on the bike except the brake
    calipers, but that if I go Campy, I'd get to keep my
    crankset and front derailleur. Am I interpreting this
    correctly? Sorry to be dense about this, but if I go
    through with this I want to make sure I don't have to
    go through too many iterations.

    2. Looking around at component prices, and looking at
    what you would charge (which seems reasonable) for a
    conversion, it seems like this is a ca. $500 project
    (unless I can hunt down the questionable Shimano 7
    speed items). I realize it's hard to make this kind of
    judgement, but is it worthwhile? In essence, I'd be
    spending $500 to wind up with used bike (which is what
    I paid for the bike new in 1991, FWIW). Is this $500
    well spent, or could I get a better bike for the same
    money, say, a new Trek 1000?

    Yes , it's relatively expensive and not probably a good
    value on that bike.

    Yes on everything else; Shimano STi can be set up with
    "incompatible" fronts usually if it's a double, usually not
    if a triple.

    You might remove the rear wheel and measure it. Should be
    126mm

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  7. Sheldon Brown <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    JBAfromNY quoted Andy Muzi:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Assuming the equipment is in good shape, that is, your
    front changer, brakes and crank are all serviceable and
    the bike fits, here's one upgrade path, showing all the
    necessary items:
    yellowjersey.orgergokit.html



    And re-asked:

    Quoted message said:


    Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly ...
    This means that my front derailleur, brakes calipers,
    and cranks are all compatible with the campy levers, but
    that my rear derailleur and freewheel are not, correct?


    Andy is correct, as usual.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    It is technically possible to get older seven speed
    Shimano STi shifters and a Shimano type freewheel, chain
    and a Shimano type rear changer ( and by that avoid
    replacing the rear wheel).

    But that would be a severely limited format and may have
    a hidden front shifting ( maybe a new front changer and
    crank with BB) expense.

    I take it this means that there's some likelihood that
    Shimano shifters won't work with the Suntour front
    derailleur and the Sakae crank?


    Yes.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You'd also avoid retracking the frame to 130mm, making
    that a possible at-home upgrade.

    Do you [or anyone else] know whether it's a
    certainty that my Specialized frame would have to
    have the rear triangle spread out? Is there a way
    that I can check this?

    Yes, take a ruler and measure your frame. There's an
    illustration of how to do this (as well as
    instructions for re-spacing the frame if needed) at:
    sheldonbrown.comframe spacing

    Thanks. I'll check it tonight

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    A couple of further follow through questions:

    1. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that that if
    I want to use current production Shimano brifters,
    I'd have to replace everything on the bike except the
    brake calipers,

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    but that if I go Campy, I'd get to keep my crankset and
    front derailleur. Am I interpreting this correctly?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry to be dense about this, but if I go through with
    this I want to make sure I don't have to go through too
    many iterations.


    Going through multiple iterations is the most cost-
    effective way to go. You don't _know_ your old crank & bb
    won't work 'til you try it. (Front derailers are so cheap
    that's not much of an issue.)

    Quoted message said:

    2. Looking around at component prices, and looking at
    what you would charge (which seems reasonable) for a
    conversion, it seems like this is a ca. $500 project
    (unless I can hunt down the questionable Shimano 7
    speed items). I realize it's hard to make this kind
    of judgement, but is it worthwhile? In essence, I'd
    be spending $500 to wind up with used bike (which is
    what I paid for the bike new in 1991, FWIW). Is this
    $500 well spent, or could I get a better bike for
    the same money, say, a new Trek 1000?

    I'm afraid there's been excessive snippage from this
    thread, so I don't recall what kind of frame you've got,
    but if it's one of the older lugged steel Specialized
    models, it's likely very well worth fixing up...those were
    gorgeous, beautifully built frames.

    I'm not sure what counts as "older" [I'm old enough to think
    of things made in the '80's as newer, so ...], but the frame
    is a Specialized lugged steel road frame. The frame decals
    say it's made from Specialized "direct drive" double butted
    "racing" tubes throughout. It also says made in Taiwan. The
    model is a Sirrus Triple. I bought it in 1992, but it had
    been sitting in the shop for a while, so I'm not certain
    what the actual production year was.

    John "likes his bike, but is mindful of admonitions about
    silk purses and sow's ears" Albin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.