Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

updating components on cheap bike - specifically chaindrive set

Started by Mark D . · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,117 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 September 2003
Last activity
5 September 2003
Original author
Mark D .
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,117
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an inexpensive schwinn bike that i bought from my lbs a few years back before they sold out
    to huffy. it was fitted mostly with cheap shimano C101 and SRAM 3.0 components. I like the bike a
    usually put about 100 miles a week on it but now I have bent a chainring and the Shimano C101 stuff
    is built as a solid unit. I want to upgrade to probably Shimano 105 group equipment so that I can
    change individual chainrings but am wondering if I'm going to have any problems if I just change the
    chaindrive and pedal set now and keep all of the other SRAM and C101 equipment. Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. Mark D. may have said:

    I have an inexpensive schwinn bike that i bought from my lbs a few years back before they sold out
    to huffy. it was fitted mostly with cheap shimano C101 and SRAM 3.0 components. I like the bike a
    usually put about 100 miles a week on it but now I have bent a chainring and the Shimano C101 stuff
    is built as a solid unit. I want to upgrade to probably Shimano 105 group equipment so that I can
    change individual chainrings but am wondering if I'm going to have any problems if I just change
    the chaindrive and pedal set now and keep all of the other SRAM and C101 equipment. Any advice?

    If I recall correctly, the Shimano C101 uses a regular square taper of the common variety. Assuming
    that's the case, unless you're really sold on the 105 stuff, you have a large number of other
    options that don't require swapping out the BB. The 105 cranks do not use a square taper and are
    probably not compatible with the BB you have now. If you shop for a square-taper crank set, as long
    as you stay with the same number and size of sprockets, there should be little more than just a
    simple stop adjustment of the front der required after the swap. If you want to upgrade to the 105
    set, you'll have to change the BB since they require an 8-spline design. Depending on which BB is in
    the frame now, you may need two additional tools to replace the bearing.

    There are lots of good cranks that fit a square taper and use replaceable sprockets. Unless there's
    some reason to plump for the expense of the 105, I'd recommend shopping around a bit. You can
    probably achieve your main goal for substantially less money.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  3. On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:07:01 GMT, Mark D. <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <I have an inexpensive schwinn bike that i bought from my lbs a few <years back before they sold
    out to huffy. it was fitted mostly with <cheap shimano C101 and SRAM 3.0 components. I like the
    bike a usually <put about 100 miles a week on it but now I have bent a chainring and <the Shimano
    C101 stuff is built as a solid unit. I want to upgrade to <probably Shimano 105 group equipment so
    that I can change individual <chainrings but am wondering if I'm going to have any problems if I
    <just change the chaindrive and pedal set now and keep all of the other <SRAM and C101 equipment.
    Any advice?

    You'd probably have to replace the bottom bracket to do a new 105 crankset and you probably only
    need to replace the bearings<g>...... so I'd consider some NOS like this:
    chucksbikes.comcr055.htm

    <Thanks.

  4. "Mark D." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an inexpensive schwinn bike that i bought from my lbs a few years back before they sold
    out to huffy. it was fitted mostly with cheap shimano C101 and SRAM 3.0 components. I like the
    bike a usually put about 100 miles a week on it but now I have bent a chainring and the Shimano
    C101 stuff is built as a solid unit. I want to upgrade to probably Shimano 105 group equipment so
    that I can change individual chainrings but am wondering if I'm going to have any problems if I
    just change the chaindrive and pedal set now and keep all of the other SRAM and C101 equipment.
    Any advice?

    Possibly complex as you surmise.

    Straighten the ring. Should just take a minute - they are robust.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.