Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Unusual spoke patterns (was Re: 26" 144 spoke wheels)

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 7 posts · 895 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 August 2004
Last activity
10 August 2004
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
895
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    [three leading, three trailing]

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
    interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
    'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
    the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
    bit easier.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

  2. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    [three leading, three trailing]

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
    interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
    'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
    the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
    bit easier.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
    ;; education and catastrophe.
    H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

    Very interesting pattern! I've never seen it before. I suppose they are interwoven to keep each spoke in as straight a line as is possible...ie from the hub to the rim. If all of the outside spokes just run inside the inside spokes the first spoke in the pattern would have a pretty severe path to the rim. It would be crossing the inside spoke very close to the hub flange putting much undo stress at the spoke head.
    Probably in certain applications and perhaps decades ago in cycling when the quality of parts was not what it is today this pattern could have provided more strength. But I would think that, like in a "twisted" spoke wheel, because the spokes in this pattern are crossing at so many points that in reality it would react very sluggishly to loads. It would not be the super stiff and effecient wheel one might think. ? I dunno...but the look is somewhat cool...although replacing spokes would be a bother!!

  3. Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
    interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
    'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
    the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
    bit easier.

    I don't think interlacing is worth the trouble in 3-leading-3-trailing.
    I've had good results without interlace; see
    http://www.qnet.com/~crux/wheel.html

    To quote from Jobst Brandt's book, "Interlaced spokes take up each
    others slack during severe radial loading and reduce the chance of
    spokes becoming loose." How important that is depends on the spoke
    count, your weight, your riding habits, whether it's a dished wheel,
    and so on. I haven't had a problem with spokes going slack in a
    non-interlaced 36-spoke front wheel.

    Tom Ace

  4. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins

    (') said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    [three leading, three trailing]

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
    interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
    'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
    the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
    bit easier.


    I Don't know why, but I built a set of wheels three leading three trailing
    following an even slightly more interlaced picture at:
    http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingcl.htm
    Building was fairly easy, took me about two hours to do the front and
    about an hour to do the back. I don't know how hard it would be to
    replace a spoke but so far I have around 3000 incident free miles on
    front and rear and I weigh about 1050 newtons mass.

  5. in message said:
    Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does
    the interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic?
    If the 'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the
    way to the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken
    spokes a bit easier.

    I don't think interlacing is worth the trouble in
    3-leading-3-trailing. I've had good results without interlace; see
    http://www.qnet.com/~crux/wheel.html

    To quote from Jobst Brandt's book, "Interlaced spokes take up each
    others slack during severe radial loading and reduce the chance of
    spokes becoming loose." How important that is depends on the spoke
    count, your weight, your riding habits, whether it's a dished wheel,
    and so on. I haven't had a problem with spokes going slack in a
    non-interlaced 36-spoke front wheel.

    Thanks; that's kind of what I expected.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Generally Not Used
    ;; Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, Jim Smith

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan

    Braggins (') said:

    As an alternative something like
    http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/3leading.htm
    could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

    [three leading, three trailing]

    Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does
    the interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic?
    If the 'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the
    way to the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken
    spokes a bit easier.


    I Don't know why, but I built a set of wheels three leading three
    trailing following an even slightly more interlaced picture at:
    http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingcl.htm
    Building was fairly easy, took me about two hours to do the front and
    about an hour to do the back. I don't know how hard it would be to
    replace a spoke but so far I have around 3000 incident free miles on
    front and rear and I weigh about 1050 newtons mass.

    OK, that site raises another question. On this page
    <URL:http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm> the author
    criticises the standard half-radial lacing of rear wheels (i.e. with
    the radial lacing on the non-drive side) and instead recommends
    half-radial lacing with the radial lacing on the drive side. I can sort
    of see the logic of this in terms of the trigonometry and the tensions
    in the spokes.

    So why do most half-radials not follow this pattern? Is there a problem
    with transmitting torque along the length of the hub? What are the
    countervailing arguments?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
    ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, that site raises another question. On this page
    <URL:http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm> the author
    criticises the standard half-radial lacing of rear wheels (i.e. with
    the radial lacing on the non-drive side) and instead recommends
    half-radial lacing with the radial lacing on the drive side. I can sort
    of see the logic of this in terms of the trigonometry and the tensions
    in the spokes.

    So why do most half-radials not follow this pattern? Is there a problem
    with transmitting torque along the length of the hub? What are the
    countervailing arguments?

    The problem is indeed one of transmitting torque through the hub. In
    addition to "wind-up" in the spokes, you would also suffer wind-up in
    the hub body. Given that it seems a well-built wheel will not fail until
    it suffers some extreme conditions, I would have though that the
    proposed half-radial design wouldn't help a great deal, and could make
    things worse.

    BTW, as far as I'm aware, the half-radial design is basically an image
    thing. I don't imagine that there is any practical difference in
    strength or rigidity over a full 2X or 3X wheel.

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.