rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

unicycling a factor in career?

Started by tomkarches · · Last activity · 17 posts · 270 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
17 January 2007
Last activity
18 January 2007
Original author
tomkarches
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
270
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For those of you in the working world, how has unicycling influenced
    your career choice? I was self employed for 7 years, but that was
    before 2 kids. I can't imagine taking a job that would keep me from
    riding....

    --tom

    --
    tomkarches
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomkarches's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  2. i work with circus in events
    i was suposed to be a juggler... was juggling for years.. and them i
    became a unicyclist 😄

    --
    picado

    ###unicycle for JAH RASTAFARI###

    One wheel in brazil
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    picado's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11964
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  3. I decided to drop out of law school about the same time I learned how to
    ride. Of course, now I work in land-use planning, but I still have
    time to ride, which I would not have had as a lawyer.

    --
    mboulanger

    All things unicycle get better the more time you spend riding- Wheel
    Rider
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mboulanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9642
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  4. tomkarches said:

    I was self employed for 7 years, but that was before 2 kids. I can't
    imagine taking a job that would keep me from riding....

    I feel your pain! I have four kids myself and between career, family
    and always trying to make ends meet I find I never seem to get enough
    riding in. With that said, you tend to make time for the things you
    enjoy. I've incorporated distance unicycling into my physical workout.
    Instead of jogging or cycling I try to ride 5 - 10 miles daily (during
    seasonable weather) and 20+ miles on a Saturday. Two of my boys ride
    as well so at times I'll spend some quality time with them riding
    unicycles around the neighborhood. Late in the evening I'll spend time
    on this forum reading and enjoying the riding stories that others tell.

    --
    unipsychler

    Interested in learning to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Or how
    about getting one of the coolest uni t-shirts around? Check out my
    website at www.ridetheunicycle.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unipsychler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9338
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  5. As a Piano technician my work is fairly sedentary, so when I turned 50
    last year, I decided to re-start a rigorous-type of an exercise program
    that would be both effective and most of all...fun! But I quickly
    became bored with running, and mtb-ing wasn't for me either. Then I
    found *this* website in Jan. '06 and "rediscovered" unicycling;I
    hadn't ridden one since about 1972, so I had basically start allover
    again, especially dicovering MUni, which has become my all consuming
    exercise/passtime of choice!😄 It has paid off in droves for me, and
    introduced me to a whole world of great people that love what I love!🙂
    I give this sport all the credit for putting me in the best shape of my
    life as well, and I will probably MUni until they take away in a wheel
    chair!😎

    --
    MuniAddict

    "There is an -idea-, of a Patrick Bateman"

    "They all float down here"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  6. As a Piano technician my work is fairly sedentary, so when I turned 50
    last year, I decided to re-start a rigorous-type of an exercise program
    that would be both effective and most of all...fun!

    But I quickly became bored with running, and mtb-ing wasn't for me
    either. Then I found *this* website in Jan. '06 and "rediscovered"
    unicycling; I hadn't ridden one since about 1972, so I basically had to
    start all over again, especially dicovering MUni, which has become my
    all consuming exercise/passtime of choice!😄

    It has paid off in droves for me, and introduced me to a whole world of
    great people that love what I love!🙂 In just one year since I resumed
    what has become my passion, I've MUni-ed in so many great places like
    CMW, Ojai, Santa Barbara, Simi Valley, Tons of great technical trails
    in O.C., Palos Verdes, San Juan Capistrano, and this year will be my
    first at Moab Munifest! I also give this sport all the credit for
    putting me in the best shape of my life, and I will probably MUni until
    they take away in a wheel chair!😎

    --
    MuniAddict

    "There is an -idea-, of a Patrick Bateman"

    "They all float down here"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  7. MuniAddict said:

    and I will probably MUni until they take away in a wheel chair!😎

    In wish case you just outfit that wheelchair with two duro leopards and
    hit the trails again.

    --
    Brian O.

    'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - The
    Unicyclist PC Game - In Early Development.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian O.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10744
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  8. Brian O. said:

    In wish case you just outfit that wheelchair with two duro leopards and
    hit the trails again.

    Hey I like that! But maybe the Gaz would be better?😎

    --
    MuniAddict

    "There is an -idea-, of a Patrick Bateman"

    "They all float down here"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  9. I just started working full time as a cook. It is great work and I'm
    making pretty good money, but with a 50-60 hour work week it pretty
    much destroys alot of the perfect time to be riding. I'm getting a
    little annoyed at how little riding I'm able to get done now, but it
    also means that I should be able to afford to go to the next unicon, I
    can afford the parts I want rather than just the ones I need. I enjoy
    working at the restaurant I'm at alot!! www.genji.ca and so all in all
    its not so bad.

    Still a 9 to 5 job would certainly be nice for riding.

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  10. MuniAddict said:

    I also give this sport all the credit for putting me in the best shape
    of my life, and I will probably MUni until they take away in a wheel
    chair!😎

    same for me
    + working as probably one of the oldest people in a big corporation
    stuffed with yuppies, I can outsnob any of those youngsters who boast
    of a superb golf handicap :p

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  11. I am pretty busy with my family (four kids and one wife) and two jobs.
    I don't ride nearly as much as I would like. It is especially hard
    during the winter when there is not much sunlight and it is either
    raining or snowing outside.

    One solution I have found is to ride in some of the nearby parking
    garages. They are always dry and always have light. I travel a lot
    too, fortunately because my uni is so much smaller than my bike, much
    of the time I can take my uni with me and ride here and there.

    I also find that riding uni is a great thing to do with your kids.
    Even though my oldest is still working on learning to ride her 16" I
    take her for rides and she just rides along on her bike.

    --
    csuko
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    csuko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12939
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  12. Does charitable events count as a factor in career?? Cause thats what me
    and friends unicycle for. 😄 😄 😄

    --
    Hazmat

    If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
    again. You will never fail.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  13. Worked as a Biomed engineer. Dreamt of unicycling all day. So, I quit
    and now I'm studying Sports & Outdoor Rec. 🙂

    --
    Denali
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  14. MuniAddict said:

    exercise/passtime of choice!😄

    It has paid off in droves for me, and introduced me to a whole world of
    great people that love what I love!🙂

    you said all my friend!

    --
    picado

    ###unicycle for JAH RASTAFARI###

    One wheel in brazil
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    picado's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11964
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  15. I handed in my notice at my last full time employment when my manager
    wouldn't let me take holiday to go to BUC. He didn't seem to
    understand that unicyling was more important to me than the warehouse
    was.

    --
    sarah.miller

    South West Unicycle Meet
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  16. I'm a full-time educator (college prof), and have 3 sons (two of whom
    ride). My riding buddy is a teacher. We get to ride once or twice a
    week late afternoons--we pretty much only muni--during the school year,
    and once on the weekends. We don't have much more time in the summer,
    ironically--teachers don't have the summers off, as much as people try
    to perpetuate that myth. While I'd love to ride more often, I love my
    job, too, and having less time to ride makes the time I do have that
    much sweeter.

    --
    pkittle

    *========
    Peter Kittle
    Chico, CA
    ========*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pkittle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12111
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

  17. pkittle said:

    I'm a full-time educator (college prof),

    You teach at Chico St. PARTY SCHOOL! Sorry, couldn't resist.

    I don't think unicycling was in any way associated with career choice
    for me (Chemist) but certainly, MUni has gone hand in hand with the
    choice of where to live (Boulder, CO). I can't imagine not living
    somewhere close to a trail.

    --
    Jim_Rob

    TTFN- JR

    The Sage claims nothing, and so cannot be reproached, Lao Tzu
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim_Rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3824
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56842

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.