rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

UK - Muni head to head race - feeler

Started by kington99 · · Last activity · 37 posts · 574 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
18 February 2007
Last activity
20 March 2007
Original author
kington99
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
574
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I went riding with some mountain biking friends near Bedford yesterday.
    The place we were at had the most awesome four cross, dual slalom,
    north shore, cross country and free ride areas. It set me thinking,
    would people be interested in trying to organise some sort of head to
    head off-road racing event? I would probably try and split people up in
    to wheel size classes, 24", 26" and 29" would all be viable, and
    possibly even 36" for the experienced cokeur. There are no unavoidable
    drops in the course, it certainly wouldn't require a splined hub. We
    could have practise in the morning, then a few heats and a final, and
    obviously people woud be free to ride the north shore etc. at any
    point. Using the course costs £5 for adults, £3 for juniors, if a lot
    of people show interest I may charge a small entrance fee and organise
    medals/trophies for the winners. I have no idea about dates yet,
    probably during the easter holidays on a weekend.

    Please post if you'd be interested in this idea, and what wheel size(s)
    you would intend to race with so I can get a vague idea of numbers,
    thank you.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  2. Sounds cool - I'm always up for a race. I can't say I'll definitely be
    able to make it, but I like the idea.
    I'd be riding 26x3, but I'll happily race against 29ers.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    'Same again this year anyone?'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
    dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  3. I'm game for this, I would also be on a 26x3.
    Easter is looking pretty busy at the moment but I'll come if I can.

    --
    ian.stockwell

    A chocolate unicycle tastes great but is a bugger to ride.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ian.stockwell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12265
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  4. This sounds like a good idea. I'd be up for it, probably on 36" or
    maybe 29".

    How about March 31st or April 14th? Is there potential for two days of
    riding and a full weekend?

    Sam

    --
    redwelly

    "Sometimes you feel like pizza, somethings you feel like chocolate,
    sometimes you feel like throwing up, so it's really nice to be able to
    pick and choose." - Ken Looi, -GizmoDuck-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  5. This sounds like fun, definitely interested in either attending and
    racing or helping you organise Dave. 26x3, obviously.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

    "Come on you target for far away laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
    Floyd
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  6. Is this looking like a goer, or have you not had enough interest? If
    I'm going to have any hope of being there I need to get things sorted
    out pretty soon.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    'Same again this year anyone?'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
    dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  7. I'd probably be up for this, although I'm a bit lacking in free weekends
    so can't guarantee anything.

    Just one thought - am I right in thinking you're talking about a
    chicksands? You sure it'll be alright to clog the place up with lots of
    unicyclists?

    --
    johnhimsworth

    Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
    beat you with experience.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  8. I'm watching this thread

    --
    thejdw

    dunawan said:

    why are koxx one unicycles so costly???

    forrestunifreak said:

    They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

    😄 😄 2 unispins landed!😄 😄

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  9. johnhimsworth said:

    I
    Just one thought - am I right in thinking you're talking about a
    chicksands? You sure it'll be alright to clog the place up with lots of
    unicyclists?

    I am indeed talking about chicksands, yes we'd have to be slightly
    careful not to annoy other users, but I must have run the 4 cross
    course about 2 dozen times during the day without a single negative
    comment. The bikers seemed more interested to see how I did than
    worried that I was taking slightly longer than they did. Even at the
    busiest time I would only have to wait a minute or two before there was
    no one waiting to use the track and i could use it without fear of
    getting in the way. Seemed the biggest crowds were round the dirt jump
    lines, which are of course of no interest to us.

    Had 6 positive replies so far, not enough for anything formal but
    enough for a bit of a shindig, I'll pick a date by the end of the
    weekend and post it up so people can try and make arrangements.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  10. There is a big and scary north shore thing (Herts Shore) round near
    there which I think isn't too many miles from Chicksands. I think Aaron
    from Cumbria has ridden it, also I believe Joe Rowing might have, but I
    might be going mental.

    It's kind of invite only / non public though, you basically have to get
    permission / location information off the guy Tony who runs it (online
    he's called Jedi), or one of the other guys involved.

    It would be cool although blatantly irresponsible and illegal to do
    Snowdon as a race, almost everywhere is wide enough to overtake, and
    there's loads of scope for strategic line choice, big crashes etc.

    On the last few Peaks rides I've been on, we've effectively done
    multi-rider racing, or at least the 3 or 4 people at the front of the
    group have. It's cool fun.

    I'm always up for racing, but will still be in NZ.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  11. That would be good to explore, but the chicksands north shore already
    gets way beyond what I'm happy to try and ride, big and scary doesn't
    sound so good.

    I guess with a group who ride together regularly racing snowdon might
    work, but with a more diverse group they would get so spread out,
    people would be finishing hours apart.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  12. Judging by the photos he posts on Singletrack I don't think there'd be
    much value in taking a group to Herts shore... most of it is
    waaaaaaaaay beyond my abilities!

    [image:
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yh3w5c&outx=800&quality=70]

    Racing on Snowdon wouldn't be so bad if you chose the right time of day
    to do it... 🙂

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  13. phil said:


    Racing on Snowdon wouldn't be so bad if you chose the right time of day
    to do it... 🙂

    Yeah. It's gotta be good for a bivvi at the summit, ride down at dawn*.
    Or just ride/walk up just before dawn, bomb down at first light, to
    save carrying bivvi gear.

    I think Dave has a good point about the different speeds involved,
    although having said that, I'd be surprised if it didn't turn into a
    few bunches of riders, rather than everyone spreading out completely,
    there's a real motivational thing about seeing another rider just in
    front of you that tends to bunch people up.

    The Herts shore might be a bit too hard, Aaron is a pretty good
    technical rider after all, although I know they've built some learner
    lines too, I dunno how much baby stuff they have though.

    Joe

    *I am bivvying lots at the moment - there's no way I'd have got to some
    of the places I've been recently without - like at the high point of
    the Queen Charlotte Walkway at dawn
    'here' (http://tinyurl.com/39nld3)
    'hills' (http://tinyurl.com/23qqmp)

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  14. phil said:

    it is waaaaaaaaay beyond my abilities!

    Oh well do it anyway! your abilities will improve 😉

    --
    thejdw

    dunawan said:

    why are koxx one unicycles so costly???

    forrestunifreak said:

    They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

    😄 😄 2 unispins landed!😄 😄

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  15. thejdw said:

    Oh well do it anyway! your abilities will improve 😉

    ...after the bones have healed.

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    'Same again this year anyone?'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
    dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  16. Sorry ive neglected this, likely dates are the 31st/1st March and
    7th/8th April, let me know which of these days you all prefer. I'll
    also be going down this sunday with some bikers and possibly another 3
    unicyclists if anyone is interested. Here's a teaser...

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: DSC00534(small).JPG |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/18395 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  17. Hmmm... I'm going to be visiting family in the Brighton area that week -
    if you make it the 7th/8th I may be able to get away for one day (which
    day are you planning on doing the racing? Saturday would be better for
    me really).

    I'll see what I can do, but no promises... I'd really like to make this
    though.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    'Same again this year anyone?'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
    dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  18. I can't do 7/8 April, and 31 March is a rare free weekend and it's a
    fair way, so I'd be up for a biggish event but maybe not for a smaller
    shindig. Hope that's not like pouring on cold water. This does sound
    like it could be a cool thing.

    Sam

    --
    redwelly

    "Sometimes you feel like pizza, somethings you feel like chocolate,
    sometimes you feel like throwing up, so it's really nice to be able to
    pick and choose." - Ken Looi, -GizmoDuck-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  19. That's fair, I think we're deffinitely looking at more a shindig level
    of event, and I know weekends are precious.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

  20. Ok I'm going to say saturday the 7th unless anyone has any strong
    objections. Me loosemoose, annaats and matt went down this sunday, was
    some good fun. See photos 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/26pbpj), I'm
    afraid there's a lot of bike photos, including me on one.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58123

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.