Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Tubular recommendations for TT bike ?

Started by Lou D'Amelio · · Last activity · 10 posts · 358 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 February 2008
Last activity
20 February 2008
Original author
Lou D'Amelio
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
358
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi - invested in disc (Zipp) and Hed-Trispoke tubulars for TT bike
    this season. New to tubulars as I have used clinchers for everything
    else the past 15 years. Although I'm generally familiar with the
    respected lines, what do folks recommend for time-trialing ? Most of
    my TT's will be 15 - 40 k on average to good roads, dry conditions. I
    weigh about 170 lbs and am more of a masher than a spinner; so-so bike
    handler. Bike is a Cervelo P2SL. I'm willing to give up a few grams
    for puncture-proofing so not looking at the ultralite 150 gram tires
    out there. From what I read, 22 mm profile actually more aero thasn 19
    mm as they match rim better. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance
    for replies.

    Lou D'Amelio

  2. Lou D'Amelio said:

    Hi - invested in disc (Zipp) and Hed-Trispoke tubulars for TT bike
    this season. New to tubulars as I have used clinchers for everything
    else the past 15 years. Although I'm generally familiar with the
    respected lines, what do folks recommend for time-trialing ? Most of
    my TT's will be 15 - 40 k on average to good roads, dry conditions. I
    weigh about 170 lbs and am more of a masher than a spinner; so-so bike
    handler. Bike is a Cervelo P2SL. I'm willing to give up a few grams
    for puncture-proofing so not looking at the ultralite 150 gram tires
    out there. From what I read, 22 mm profile actually more aero thasn 19
    mm as they match rim better. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance
    for replies.

    Lou D'Amelio

    I think the Veloflex Criterium is a very nice tire. 22 wide, not as
    delicate as the narrower Veloflex Record.

    Joseph

  3. richard said:

    From everything I've read, using hard shellac track glue will make
    them even faster, but I'm using Tufo Extreme tape with mine. I'm not
    experienced enough to do a good glue job.

    I suspect that tape is even worse than road glue in terms of rolling
    resistance, and guing tubulars with road glue is easy. Just follow a
    good set of instructions and you'll be fine the first time:.

    http://www.nimble.net/subpages/tubular_advice.html

  4. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    I suspect that tape is even worse than road glue in terms of rolling
    resistance, and guing tubulars with road glue is easy. Just follow a
    good set of instructions and you'll be fine the first time:.

    http://www.nimble.net/subpages/tubular_advice.html

    Yes, it is. But for most of us, the difference is trivial. I use the
    tape myself but I'm a heathen. I prefer Velox tape to tufo tape. If
    you ride down hot mountain curves in the Summer at 75mph you can
    potentially roll a tie.

    For the OP, hard glue is the best.

  5. still just me said:

    If
    you ride down hot mountain
    curves in the Summer at 75mph you can
    potentially roll a tie.

    Only if you brake.

  6. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you ride down hot mountain curves in the Summer at 75mph you
    can > >potentially roll a tie.

    Quoted message said:

    Only if you brake.

    ....and achieve such speed in the first place, something not possible
    on public roads, as has been discussed here often. In addition, tires
    generally roll by going flat from heavy braking rather than cornering.
    I experienced, that having ridden tubulars for about 30 years with
    fast descenders, one of whom rode a spare tire that was not glued, as
    we discovered later while mounting a new tire.

    Jobst Brandt

  7. aka Jobst Brandt said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you ride down hot mountain curves in the Summer at 75mph you
    can > >potentially roll a tie.

    Quoted message said:

    Only if you brake.

    ...and achieve such speed in the first place, something not possible
    on public roads, as has been discussed here often....

    Depends on what you are riding. Ride something like the following (and
    yes, the Coyote is ridden on open public roads) and 120 kph (75 mph) is
    all to easily attained: <http://www.rotatorrecumbent.com/images/coyote.jpg>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  8. Tom Sherman said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > If you ride down hot mountain curves in the Summer at 75mph you
    > can potentially roll a tire.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Only if you brake.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...and achieve such speed in the first place, something not
    possible on public roads, as has been discussed here often....

    Quoted message said:

    Depends on what you are riding. Ride something like the following
    (and yes, the Coyote is ridden on open public roads) and 120 kph (75
    mph) is all to easily attained:

    http://www.rotatorrecumbent.com/images/coyote.jpg

    How steep a grade does it take to get a tubular tired three wheel
    streamliner up to 75mph and how does it take "hot mountain curves?"

    Jobst Brandt

  9. John Forrest Tomlinson said:


    Quoted message said:

    If
    you ride down hot mountain
    curves in the Summer at 75mph you can
    potentially roll a tie.

    Only if you brake.

    Poetic license on my part - You could potentially roll that tire at a
    mere 65mph!

    My point was actually that you have to hit some extremes to roll a
    tire. I've never had an issue with using tape and I like the
    flexibility when it comes to mounting a new tire on the road.

  10. aka Jobst Brandt said:
    Tom Sherman said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> If you ride down hot mountain curves in the Summer at 75mph you
    >> can potentially roll a tire.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Only if you brake.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...and achieve such speed in the first place, something not
    possible on public roads, as has been discussed here often....

    Quoted message said:

    Depends on what you are riding. Ride something like the following
    (and yes, the Coyote is ridden on open public roads) and 120 kph (75
    mph) is all to easily attained:

    http://www.rotatorrecumbent.com/images/coyote.jpg

    How steep a grade does it take to get a tubular tired three wheel
    streamliner up to 75mph and how does it take "hot mountain curves?"


    The Coyote is a bicycle, not a trike.

    As for cornering, about as well as a normal bicycle that weighs 45 pounds.

    I have found roads in Central Illinois and Southwestern Wisconsin where
    I can exceed 50-mph on an un-faired lowracer with a relatively upright
    seat. A fully faired bicycle would be much faster. In places like
    Colorado with relatively long, straight descents, exceeding 75 mph on a
    public road would not be difficult.

    The Coyote body is made from the same molds as the Gold Rush that Fred
    Markham pedaled to 65 mph in flat, no wind conditions.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.