Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

TS-2 Stand and Minoura T-gauge

Started by Eddie Nosdtromo · · Last activity · 9 posts · 390 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 November 2004
Last activity
19 November 2004
Original author
Eddie Nosdtromo
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
390
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can the accuracy of the Park TS-2 truing stand be checked and adjusted
    using the Minoura T-gauge that is used for the Workman Pro Truing Stand?

  2. Eddie Nosdtromo said:

    Can the accuracy of the Park TS-2 truing stand be checked and adjusted
    using the Minoura T-gauge that is used for the Workman Pro Truing Stand?

    i wouldn't bother. my ts2 is consistently off center depending on how
    tight you clamp the wheel and the axle width. no matter how you adjust
    it, what works for one wheel is off in the next. just buy a good
    dishing gauge [campy! park gauges _suck_] and rely on that.

  3. Eddie Nosdtromo <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Can the accuracy of the Park TS-2 truing stand be checked and adjusted
    using the Minoura T-gauge that is used for the Workman Pro Truing Stand?

    The Minoura T-gauge is no precision instrument, at least if mine is
    any indication. Mine is stamped with a little triangular pointer, one
    on each side, to indicate where center is. If it were truly centered,
    both pointers should be in line. But on mine they're off by a
    millimeter or two.

  4. jim beam <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Eddie Nosdtromo said:

    Can the accuracy of the Park TS-2 truing stand be checked and adjusted
    using the Minoura T-gauge that is used for the Workman Pro Truing Stand?

    i wouldn't bother. my ts2 is consistently off center depending on how
    tight you clamp the wheel and the axle width. no matter how you adjust
    it, what works for one wheel is off in the next. just buy a good
    dishing gauge [campy! park gauges _suck_] and rely on that.

    Have other owners of TS2s found this to be true? (pun unintended) Or
    is this a question of needing a new TS2 or a rebuild? The trouble w/
    the campy is that is it's only good for full sized wheels & costs $80
    (Nov 04) The VAR covers down to 16 or 20 inches, but costs $90. Lack
    of competition is the only reason either costs that much. If I only
    had a mill, I'd fabricate one.

    John

  5. John McGraw said:

    jim beam <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Eddie Nosdtromo said:

    Can the accuracy of the Park TS-2 truing stand be checked and adjusted
    using the Minoura T-gauge that is used for the Workman Pro Truing Stand?

    i wouldn't bother. my ts2 is consistently off center depending on how
    tight you clamp the wheel and the axle width. no matter how you adjust
    it, what works for one wheel is off in the next. just buy a good
    dishing gauge [campy! park gauges _suck_] and rely on that.

    Have other owners of TS2s found this to be true? (pun unintended) Or
    is this a question of needing a new TS2 or a rebuild? The trouble w/
    the campy is that is it's only good for full sized wheels & costs $80
    (Nov 04) The VAR covers down to 16 or 20 inches, but costs $90. Lack
    of competition is the only reason either costs that much. If I only
    had a mill, I'd fabricate one.

    John

    my ts2 was like this from the day i got it. frankly, the minoura is
    better in that it has the roundness gauge that the park doesn't, but the
    ts2 is useful in shops where taking tires off all the time can be apita.

    you don't really need to unload huge amounts of cash on a dishing gauge
    at all if you're creative enough. you can use a flat table, some blocks
    of wood & a ruler if you want.

  6. Thanks for the replys. My TS-2 was way off center right out of the box.
    When I spoke to a few shops, they all said to use a dishing tool to make
    sure the wheel is true, they didn't really trust their TS-2s all that much.
    I find this all odd. Why buy a truing stand that seems to be notoriously
    inaccurate? If this is true about TS-2s, what about the other makes. Is
    there anything out there that can be adjusted properly and trusted?

  7. "Eddie Nosdtromo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the replys. My TS-2 was way off center right out of the box.
    When I spoke to a few shops, they all said to use a dishing tool to make
    sure the wheel is true, they didn't really trust their TS-2s all that


    much.

    Quoted message said:

    I find this all odd. Why buy a truing stand that seems to be notoriously
    inaccurate? If this is true about TS-2s, what about the other makes. Is
    there anything out there that can be adjusted properly and trusted?


    I bought a Park centering gauge for my TS-2. It works, but I still need the
    dishing tool.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Eddie Nosdtromo said:

    Thanks for the replys. My TS-2 was way off center right out of the box.
    When I spoke to a few shops, they all said to use a dishing tool to make
    sure the wheel is true,

    A dishing stick checks dish not true.

    they didn't really trust their TS-2s all that much.

    Quoted message said:

    I find this all odd. Why buy a truing stand that seems to be notoriously
    inaccurate?

    A truing stand makes it easy to check lateral and radial runout.

    The two tools serve different purposes.

    --
    <a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/">Home Page</a>
    Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.

  9. Frank Knox said:

    I bought a Park centering gauge for my TS-2. It works, but I still need the
    dishing tool.

    I must be very lucky. I bought my TS-2 from a local shop. He had the
    calibrating block and calibrated the stand.

    I check the stand regularly by putting an inexpensive dishing tool to
    a wheel that is being built. In 6 years, I've had to adjust the stand
    2x and it took a couple of minutes each time.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.