General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Trying to identify glue-like sweet substance

Started by Viator · · Last activity · 11 posts · 268 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 November 2007
Last activity
24 November 2007
Original author
Viator
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
268
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Anybody know what food items are like that?

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Thanks.

  2. Viator said:

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Cory syrup and high fructose corn syrup are
    different substances.

    Steve

  3. (Steve Pope) said:
    Viator said:

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Cory syrup and high fructose corn syrup are
    different substances.

    Yes. Regular corn syrup is EVEN WORSE than the high fructose variety
    regarding its impact on obesity. Lots of fructose can, however, have
    other negative impacts on health.

    Quoted message said:


    Steve

    --Bryan

  4. Viator said:

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Look at recipes for peanut brittle that heats sugar to the soft
    (or hard) crack stage.

    -sw

  5. Viator said:

    Hi all,

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Anybody know what food items are like that?

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Thanks.

    I think you're going to have to look at candy recipes to find what you
    want. You can't just mix sugar and corn syrup and expect it to firm
    up. You have to boil it until it reaches a certain temperature. The
    final temperture detemines how soft or hard the candy will be once
    it's cooled. You're probably looking for a fudge type or praline type
    recipe. Those types of candies are usually cooked to about 235� to
    240� F.

  6. "Viator" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Anybody know what food items are like that?

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    You could try regular corn syrup, although that is liquid at room temp. You
    might have to boil it first. Or sugar and water would do the same. If it's
    a raw recipe, you could use processed and soaked dates or agave nectar.

  7. Bobo Bonobo(R) said:
    (Steve Pope) said:
    Viator said:

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Cory syrup and high fructose corn syrup are
    different substances.

    Yes. Regular corn syrup is EVEN WORSE than the high fructose variety
    regarding its impact on obesity. Lots of fructose can, however, have
    other negative impacts on health.

    Quoted message said:


    Steve

    --Bryan

    What the heck does "high fructose" mean?
    I always wondered that.

    As far as the question from the OP, how about molasses.
    It's sweet and sticky and when it binds with oats, it will get sort of
    hard. I know this from making treat cookies for my horses (which I
    eat too).


  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Anybody know what food items are like that?

    Most commercial products are probably using additives. How about making a
    nougat like paste?

  9. Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:48:12 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo(R)"

    Quoted message said:
    (Steve Pope) said:

    Viator <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >I see that some candies use something like
    >corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    >there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    >and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    >high fructose corn syrup since I read
    >it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cory syrup and high fructose corn syrup are
    different substances.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes. Regular corn syrup is EVEN WORSE than the high fructose variety
    regarding its impact on obesity. Lots of fructose can, however, have
    other negative impacts on health.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Steve

    Quoted message said:

    --Bryan

    What the heck does "high fructose" mean?
    I always wondered that.

    They take the corn syrup (glucose), and use an enzyme to convert some
    of it to fructose, which has less impact on blood sugar, and calorie
    for calorie is sigificantly sweeter than glucose. Fructose is 1/2 of
    the double sugar, sucrose (table sugar):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

    Quoted message said:



    --Bryan

  10. The message <[email hidden]>
    from Viator <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Quoted message said:

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Look up recipes for flapjack.

    Janet.

  11. "Viator" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I want to bind some ingredients like nuts and oats.
    I need a substance that is sweet and sticky
    like honey when heated, but that is solid when
    it's at room temperature.

    Anybody know what food items are like that?

    I see that some candies use something like
    corn syrup for this purpose, for instance
    there is a peanut bar that is just peanuts
    and this binding substance. I want to avoid
    high fructose corn syrup since I read
    it may be linked to the obesity epidemic.

    Thanks.


    Find a recipe for caramel corn. The caramel will normally include brown
    sugar and/or molasses, corn syrup, and butter--plus vanilla or other extract
    and salt--cooked to 250F at which point a little baking soda is added, then
    poured over the corn and nuts in a greased pan. The mixture is baked at low
    temperature for about an hour, stirring a few times, and crisps upon
    cooling. It would seem that it would work for your purpose.

    Another alternative is chocolate (white, milk, or dark).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.