Road Cycling · Public discussion

Troll: Does/Should the USCF have a weight limit for bicycles?

Started by 32spokes · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,563 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 October 2004
Last activity
11 October 2004
Original author
32spokes
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,563
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The UCI has a weight limit for bikes set at around 16lbs. Does the USCF have such a weight limit?

    In my opinon, these super light carbon and Ti bikes are a silly waste of money. We should all just lobby the USCF to set the weight limit at 22lbs and then laugh at the guys with carbon bikes and seven pound weights hanging from the top tube. If the bikes all weighed the same then the best athete would win the races rather then having the race win go to the guy who paided $10k for his BICYCLE. We all can vote in the USCF so think about it if we could get the rule changed imagine what other things we could spend the money on.

    While we are at it, we should roll back the rules and get rid of disk wheels, tri spoke, and those silly ultra light carbon rimmed wheels where the brake pads don't work. These silly wheels have turned the race of truth into the race of $$$. At my last TT, I road 32 spokes and lost by around 20 seconds in 10 miles to a guy with a front tri spoke and a rear disk wheel.


  2. Quoted message said:


    While we are at it, we should roll back the rules and get rid of disk
    wheels, tri spoke, and those silly ultra light carbon rimmed wheels
    where the brake pads don't work. These silly wheels have turned the
    race of truth into the race of $$$. At my last TT, I road 32 spokes
    and lost by around 20 seconds in 10 miles to a guy with a front tri
    spoke and a rear disk wheel.

    --


    There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that didn't
    allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.
    Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
    having to bring two bikes.

    BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
    straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
    "road"

    Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

    Quoted message said:
  3. Quoted message said:

    weights hanging from the top tube. If the bikes all weighed the same
    then the best athete would win the races rather then having the race

    No. More important than the absolute weight of the bike is the ratio of the
    rider's body weight to the weight of the bike. If that ratio is the same
    for all riders, then it's a little closer to a fair contest. Adding 10lbs
    to a 150lbs rider's bike is going to slow him down more than a 200lb rider
    who gets 10lbs added to his bike.

    I think athletic competition is unfair by its very nature. Is it fair that
    someone has a genetic advantage over someone else? Maybe we should impose
    weight penalies for superior genetics.

    Nice troll.

  4. Travers Waker said:

    Nice troll.

    As trolls go, I think it needs work.

    I agree with the concept of uniform equipment weight. But I'd allow
    riders to carry weapons and standardize the combined weight of the
    bike, weapon, and body armor (consider this to be a variant of the
    eternal helmet thread).

    IOW a lighter bike would allow either a bigger gun and/or heavier
    body armor. But the competitive aspect, equipment weight, wouldn't
    change since the total weight would be standard. At least until the
    guns came out.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

    Merging multiple troll threads...

  5. "32spokes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The UCI has a weight limit for bikes set at around 16lbs. Does the USCF
    have such a weight limit?

    Not yet, but it will starting 1/1/2007.

    Andy Coggan

  6. "Bob Schwartz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with the concept of uniform equipment weight. But I'd allow
    riders to carry weapons and standardize the combined weight of the
    bike, weapon, and body armor (consider this to be a variant of the
    eternal helmet thread).

    IOW a lighter bike would allow either a bigger gun and/or heavier
    body armor. But the competitive aspect, equipment weight, wouldn't
    change since the total weight would be standard. At least until the
    guns came out.


    http://members.aol.com/clubnbc/spike_1.htm

  7. .. . . neither cost nor weight nor even sanity were allowed to interfere with
    the development of a state-of-the art technomadic adventure platform. A
    105-speed bicycle with deployable landing gear, heads-up display, ultrasonic
    head mouse, and satellite earth station . . .
    http://microship.com/resources/technomadic-tools.html

    John Bickmore

    "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob Schwartz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with the concept of uniform equipment weight. But I'd allow
    riders to carry weapons and standardize the combined weight of the
    bike, weapon, and body armor (consider this to be a variant of the
    eternal helmet thread).

    IOW a lighter bike would allow either a bigger gun and/or heavier
    body armor. But the competitive aspect, equipment weight, wouldn't
    change since the total weight would be standard. At least until the
    guns came out.


    http://members.aol.com/clubnbc/spike_1.htm

  8. Bob Schwartz said:
    Travers Waker said:

    Nice troll.

    As trolls go, I think it needs work.

    I agree with the concept of uniform equipment weight. But I'd allow
    riders to carry weapons and standardize the combined weight of the
    bike, weapon, and body armor (consider this to be a variant of the
    eternal helmet thread).

    Then you will have to outlaw armwarmers and long sleeve jerseys.
    Riders must have the right to bare arms.

    Then only outlaws will have armwarmers.
    And the terrorists will have won.

    I think.

  9. Quoted message said:

    No. More important than the absolute weight of the bike is the ratio of the
    rider's body weight to the weight of the bike. If that ratio is the same
    for all riders, then it's a little closer to a fair contest.


    I agree but a 20lb standard would still be better then what we have today. I just don't like the idea of racing my 21 lb custom bike. Back in the early 90's it was state of the art and it is still a great bike. Getting a new custom bike every few years seems silly.

  10. 32spokes <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The UCI has a weight limit for bikes set at around 16lbs. Does the USCF
    have such a weight limit?

    In my opinon, these super light carbon and Ti bikes are a silly waste
    of money. We should all just lobby the USCF to set the weight limit at
    22lbs and then laugh at the guys with carbon bikes and seven pound
    weights hanging from the top tube. If the bikes all weighed the same
    then the best athete would win the races rather then having the race
    win go to the guy who paided $10k for his BICYCLE. We all can vote in
    the USCF so think about it if we could get the rule changed imagine
    what other things we could spend the money on.

    I agree. While we're at it let's eliminate STI shifters, radios,
    anything more than 6-speeds, and high tech clothing.

    -Ken

    Quoted message said:


    While we are at it, we should roll back the rules and get rid of disk
    wheels, tri spoke, and those silly ultra light carbon rimmed wheels
    where the brake pads don't work. These silly wheels have turned the
    race of truth into the race of $$$. At my last TT, I road 32 spokes
    and lost by around 20 seconds in 10 miles to a guy with a front tri
    spoke and a rear disk wheel.

  11. "Travers Waker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    weights hanging from the top tube. If the bikes all weighed the same
    then the best athete would win the races rather then having the race

    No. More important than the absolute weight of the bike is the ratio of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    rider's body weight to the weight of the bike. If that ratio is the same
    for all riders, then it's a little closer to a fair contest.

    Do you really need all those words to explain you don't have a clue?
    Muscles' power doesn't scale with body weight. Why do you suppose that the
    biggest guys turn in the fastest TT times?

  12. "Papai Digital" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I agree. While we're at it let's eliminate STI shifters, radios,
    anything more than 6-speeds, and high tech clothing.

    One thing I really miss is_real_chamois.

  13. Andy Coggan said:

    "32spokes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The UCI has a weight limit for bikes set at around 16lbs. Does the USCF
    have such a weight limit?

    Not yet, but it will starting 1/1/2007.

    Andy Coggan

    It doesn't matter - just get the lightest bike you can possibly put
    together, then bring the weight up to reg by beefing up the bottom
    bracket with something like lead, gold, or uranium.

  14. If the bike was custom made, why didn't you have it built with better wheels etc.? And besides, why not buy an extra (couple) pairs of wheels for racing? That way, you wouldn't "have to buy a new custom bike every few years."

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, Suz

    Quoted message said:

    There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that didn't
    allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.

    Quoted message said:

    Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
    having to bring two bikes.

    BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
    straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
    "road"

    Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

    Using the wrong word for "rode" and "road" is almost as bad as when
    people use the wrong form of the word "to" or "too". Doncha hate that?

    -WG (my mother taught English)

  16. Stewart Fleming said:
    Bob Schwartz said:
    Travers Waker said:

    Nice troll.

    As trolls go, I think it needs work.

    I agree with the concept of uniform equipment weight. But I'd allow
    riders to carry weapons and standardize the combined weight of the
    bike, weapon, and body armor (consider this to be a variant of the
    eternal helmet thread).

    Then you will have to outlaw armwarmers and long sleeve jerseys.
    Riders must have the right to bare arms.

    Then only outlaws will have armwarmers.
    And the terrorists will have won.

    I think.

    The terrifying thing is how hard I laughed over this. There's something
    seriously wrong with me.

    I think.

    --

    --------------------

    Remove CLOTHES to reply

  17. "Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Papai Digital" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I agree. While we're at it let's eliminate STI shifters, radios,
    anything more than 6-speeds, and high tech clothing.

    One thing I really miss is_real_chamois.

    Real chamois took a bit of care when washing but they were GREAT. I
    realllllllly miss them too.

    Val

  18. keydates said:

    If the bike was custom made, why didn't you have it built with better
    wheels etc.? And besides, why not buy an extra (couple) pairs of
    wheels for racing? That way, you wouldn't "have to buy a new custom
    bike every few years."


    In 1992, 32 spoke wheels were the standard. I have three good sets of wheels but they are all 32 spoke and since they in fine shape I am annoyed that in order to get back into bicycle racing I need to go out and buy all new stuff. I raced this year with my ten year old setup including downtube shifters and did okay but in all the races I finished just outside of the top spots. My best placing was second in one race. I am not sure what the half life will be on any new equipment I buy. The new stuff is fun but is very expensive. This is a pro and con of the sport.

    I think USCF could improve the sport with a weight restriction for us category 4/5s so the sport would not be so hard to get into.

    -32spoke

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, 32spokes

    Quoted message said:

    keydates wrote:> If the bike was custom made, why didn't you have it built
    withbetter> wheels etc.? And besides, why not buy an extra (couple) pairs
    of> wheels for racing? That way, you wouldn't "have to buy a new custom>
    bike every few years."> In 1992, 32 spoke wheels were the standard. I have
    three good sets ofwheels but they are all 32 spoke and since they in fine
    shape I amannoyed that in order to get back into bicycle racing I need to go
    outand buy all new stuff. I raced this year with my ten year old
    setupincluding downtube shifters and did okay but in all the races Ifinished
    just outside of the top spots. My best placing was second inone race. I am
    not sure what the half life will be on any newequipment I buy. The new stuff
    is fun but is very expensive. This isa pro and con of the sport.

    Quoted message said:

    I think USCF
    could improve the sport with a weight restriction for us category 4/5s so the
    sport would not be so hard to get into.-32spoke-- 32spokes

    It's easy to get into bike racing and wheels are not what will keep you
    out of racing nor prevent you from enjoying it. If you only enjoy bike
    racing if you win a Cat4/5 race and you can't do that because of your
    wheels then you need to get out of bike racing, or maybe learn more
    about training and discipline.

    -WG

    p.s. I won a pretty big race this year and my front wheel had 24 spokes
    while the guy I raced to win only had 18 spokes in his front wheel. And
    my frame is made out of steel! Unbelievable!!!

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    warren said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Suz

    Quoted message said:

    There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that didn't
    allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.

    Quoted message said:

    Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
    having to bring two bikes.

    BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
    straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
    "road"

    Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

    Using the wrong word for "rode" and "road" is almost as bad as when
    people use the wrong form of the word "to" or "too". Doncha hate that?

    -WG (my mother taught English)

    A guy who used to work where I do was apparently unaware that there was
    any way to spell "to" or "too" other than "too".

    By the way, "your" and "you're" is another pair of commonly misused
    words in here (usenet, that is).

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=10m2lde6vj0kj05%40co
    rp.supernews.com

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    A billion + 2 followups...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.