Road Cycling · Public discussion

Trikes and learning to ride a bike....

Started by Roger Zoul · · Last activity · 9 posts · 634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 May 2005
Last activity
4 May 2005
Original author
Roger Zoul
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a friend...she claims she has no balance....she's interested in a
    trike for this reason...

    I found a website that sells a trike. This is it:
    http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm

    Are there any upright trikes?

    Are the any others (beside Wal-mart!) with two wheels in the rear?

    For entirely selfish reasons, I'd like to try steer away from a trike to a
    bike. She says that as a kid her brothers tried to help her learn to ride a
    bike, but she always fell over onto the pavement. I think she'd like to
    avoid that.

    I'm thinking I'd try to help her overcome this fear. I'd rent a bike with
    fat tires (mtn bike) and have her ride in an open grassy field. I'd move
    along beside her holding the bike as she pedaled along. Whatelse might I do
    to help her?

    Do people do centuries on trikes?

    Any comments welcome....

  2. Just zis Guy said:

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 13:11:50 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend...she claims she has no balance....she's interested
    in a trike for this reason...

    It's a skill, is all. Some people never do get it, but they are few
    and far between. The main thing I believe holds adults back from
    learning balance is trying to start in too high a gear.

    Thanks for that info on gearing...I'll make use of it. I never seems wise
    to start in a high gear, moreso for a noob.

    Quoted message said:


    My wife had never ridden a bicycle when we met. We bought her one
    about four years ago; she now pilots our triplet (three-seater) with
    two kids on the back. Your friend might be surprised :-)

    That's what I'm hoping...but if it doesn't work out, it's trike city....she
    can afford it.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Are there any upright trikes?

    Yes, but usually made by craft cycle builders (read expensive). There
    are some lovely trikes out there, Longstaff in the UK make them, noble
    things beloved of their owners. Here is a site worth looking at:

    http://www.tricycle-association.org.uk/

    Thanks.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Are the any others (beside Wal-mart!) with two wheels in the rear?

    Two at the front is usually called tadpole, two at the back is known
    as delta, not sure if you'd picked that jargon up yet.

    I had not....thanks. We discussed the pro/cons of front/back two
    wheels....it seems steering is weird with two wheels at the front...but is
    that so?

    Quoted message said:

    The above has several (but UK of course); you can also get the Hase
    Kettweisel and Lepus recumbent deltas, which are excellent machines
    and tremendously popular with their owners. There is also one called
    the Pashley PDQ3 but that has a very high centre of gravity - several
    reviewers have said it is unstable. I'd probably go with the
    Kettweisel if I wanted a delta. They are sooooo comfortable :-)

    You ride a recumbent, right? Not a trike, I assume....

  3. On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:38:37 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    We discussed the pro/cons of front/back two
    wheels....it seems steering is weird with two wheels at the front...but is
    that so?

    Not really. Tadpoles have Ackerman steering, it's very predictable.
    I'm told the Newton upright tadpole takes a little getting used to,
    but only a little. Recumbent tadpoles? No problem.

    Quoted message said:

    You ride a recumbent, right? Not a trike, I assume....

    No, a bike. I'd like a trike but I park indoors and take the bike on
    trains.

    Do get your friend to try the Kettweisel, though, it really is very
    refined and civilised. Hang on, I'll come along for the ride...

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  4. wafflycat wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk said:

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend...she claims she has no balance....she's interested
    in a trike for this reason...

    I found a website that sells a trike. This is it:
    http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm

    Are there any upright trikes?

    snippity

    Quoted message said:


    Do people do centuries on trikes?

    Any comments welcome....

    Indeed there are upright trikes and indeed, people do centuries on
    them and race on them. In the UK there's a specific tricycle
    association and trikes often feature in local time trials (but not in
    any huge number). I know a couple of local guys who regularly race
    trikes and tour with them.

    The trike of desire for many a tricyclist over on this side of the
    pond is a Longstaff.

    See http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/

    Cheers, helen s

    Thanks, helen...Interesting stuff on that page...I had no idea, really. My
    ignorance never ceases...I quit being amazed by it long ago, however.

  5. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    You ride a recumbent, right? Not a trike, I assume....

    Hand waves across the pond...

    Please sir, please sir!

    I ride a recumbent trike... when my teenage son isn't pinching it from me
    ;-)

    One of these...

    http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes_t.htm

    Not the lightest & I want some slicks put on it for the summer. But it is
    *fun*

    Cheers, helen s

  6. Just zis Guy said:

    The above has several (but UK of course); you can also get the Hase
    Kettweisel and Lepus recumbent deltas, which are excellent machines
    and tremendously popular with their owners. There is also one called
    the Pashley PDQ3 but that has a very high centre of gravity - several
    reviewers have said it is unstable. I'd probably go with the
    Kettweisel if I wanted a delta. They are sooooo comfortable :-)

    Point of information, Mr. Chairman, the PDQ3 was a tadpole and is no longer
    in production. And rightly so.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    And then there was light and He thought it was good, so He threw the
    receipt away.

  7. pam_in_sc said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    I'm thinking I'd try to help her overcome this fear. I'd rent a
    bike with fat tires (mtn bike) and have her ride in an open grassy
    field. I'd move along beside her holding the bike as she pedaled
    along. Whatelse might I do to help her?

    Do people do centuries on trikes?

    Any comments welcome....

    How much can you afford to spend on a vacation to teach her? My kids,
    who had trouble learning to ride bikes, finally learned several years
    ago biking on the beach during a Thanksgiving vacation on Kiawah
    island. The sand is really firm and flat, easy to ride on and you
    don't get
    hurt when you fall (unless you tangle with the bike). The bikes they
    rent there are one speed--no confusion about gears. I suppose it is
    not only too expensive in the summer but also too crowded, but in
    winter the biking on the beach was great.

    That's a great idea, Pam. In fact, it very likely will work out like this,
    as she owns property in Myrtle Beach.

    Hope I see you around this weekend! 🙂

  8. Roger Zoul said:

    I have a friend...she claims she has no balance....she's interested


    in a

    Quoted message said:

    trike for this reason...

    I found a website that sells a trike. This is it:
    http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm

    Are there any upright trikes?

    Regarding upright trikes: I had an opportunity to test ride one some
    years ago. It was very similar to the Longstaffs trike someone pointed
    to.

    It was an _extremely_ disconcerting ride. I was astonished at how
    unstable it made me feel. Every instinct I had seemed to work against
    me. I was honestly glad to be off it, and had great trouble trying to
    find some compliment to give the proud owner.

    I mention this because I think using an upright trike to teach
    bicycling would be seriously counterproductive.

    Quoted message said:

    For entirely selfish reasons, I'd like to try steer away from a trike


    to a

    Quoted message said:

    bike.

    I absolutely agree.

    Quoted message said:

    She says that as a kid her brothers tried to help her learn to ride a
    bike, but she always fell over onto the pavement. I think she'd like


    to

    Quoted message said:

    avoid that.

    I'm thinking I'd try to help her overcome this fear. I'd rent a bike


    with

    Quoted message said:

    fat tires (mtn bike) and have her ride in an open grassy field. I'd


    move

    Quoted message said:

    along beside her holding the bike as she pedaled along. Whatelse


    might I do

    Quoted message said:

    to help her?

    As others have said, the "low saddle, pedals removed scooter" method
    has a great reputation. Holding the saddle would be a hindrance, not a
    help. You might test out the bike yourself first. I've not tried
    this, but I assume if a bike were easier for a skilled cyclist to ride
    no-hands, it might be easier for an unskilled cyclist to learn on.

    Quoted message said:


    Do people do centuries on trikes?

    Heck, people do all sorts of thing that border on the unwise - or the
    impossible!

    (BTW, I take it this isn't the lady from the bike shop? ;-)

    - Frank Krygowski

  9. [email hidden] wrote:
    :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    :> > I have a friend...she claims she has no balance....she's interested
    :> in a
    :> > trike for this reason...
    :> >
    :> > I found a website that sells a trike. This is it:
    :> > http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm
    :> >
    :> > Are there any upright trikes?
    :>
    :> Regarding upright trikes: I had an opportunity to test ride one some
    :> years ago. It was very similar to the Longstaffs trike someone
    :> pointed to.
    :>
    :> It was an _extremely_ disconcerting ride. I was astonished at how
    :> unstable it made me feel. Every instinct I had seemed to work
    :> against me. I was honestly glad to be off it, and had great trouble
    :> trying to find some compliment to give the proud owner.
    :>
    :> I mention this because I think using an upright trike to teach
    :> bicycling would be seriously counterproductive.

    Wow....amazing....it would seem to be more stable at first glance....Thanks
    for the info..

    :>
    :>
    :> > For entirely selfish reasons, I'd like to try steer away from a
    :> > trike
    :> to a
    :> > bike.
    :>
    :> I absolutely agree.
    :>
    :> > She says that as a kid her brothers tried to help her learn to
    :> > ride a bike, but she always fell over onto the pavement. I think
    :> > she'd like
    :> to
    :> > avoid that.
    :> >
    :> > I'm thinking I'd try to help her overcome this fear. I'd rent a
    :> > bike
    :> with
    :> > fat tires (mtn bike) and have her ride in an open grassy field.
    :> > I'd
    :> move
    :> > along beside her holding the bike as she pedaled along. Whatelse
    :> might I do
    :> > to help her?
    :>
    :> As others have said, the "low saddle, pedals removed scooter" method
    :> has a great reputation. Holding the saddle would be a hindrance,
    :> not a help. You might test out the bike yourself first. I've not
    :> tried this, but I assume if a bike were easier for a skilled cyclist
    :> to ride no-hands, it might be easier for an unskilled cyclist to
    :> learn on.
    :>
    :> >
    :> > Do people do centuries on trikes?
    :>
    :> Heck, people do all sorts of thing that border on the unwise - or the
    :> impossible!

    🙂 Well, I was just wondering what the possibilities were for her to ride a
    century with me one day on a trike. If that should ever happen, it likely
    won't be on an upright...

    :>
    :>
    :> (BTW, I take it this isn't the lady from the bike shop? ;-)
    :>

    No...the lady at the LBS has apparently moved on to new employment. I was
    unhappy to learn that she no longer works there. I don't know what the
    story is on that, but the LBS will not be the same.....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.