rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Trials for all around?

Started by klaym · · Last activity · 9 posts · 344 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
16 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
klaym
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
344
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm considering on buying a 20" uni for technical riding, mostly gliding
    and freestyle tricks. Some muni would be cool too. After doing some
    research I'm now leaning towards a trials unicycle.

    How good is a trials uni at the woods? I guess you need to tackle with
    the obstacles a lot more than you would on a 24".
    Also, how thick is the tire? Eventually riding and gliding will wear it
    out and then I guess the only way to obtain a new tire is from a
    unicycle shop, because of the wacky size. So, if it could last at least
    a year, it wouldn't become too pricey to order one from Germany
    (municycle.com).
    Any chance of bmx tires out there suitable for a 19" trials rim?

    So, here's some things I've listed for and against a trials unicycle (as
    the 1. unicycle)

    + for technical riding and tricks
    + small size for carrying around
    + beefy tire - can do some muni (?)
    + tough (splined hub/cranks, short spokes, trials frame etc.)
    + takes hops and drops

    - slow
    - not optimal for off-road
    - low pressure tire not optimal for freestyle either (?)
    - weird tire/rim size - harder to replace

    Thanks for reading, and all comments and suggestions are most welcome!

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  2. My feeling on the subject has been simply that you learn to use what you
    have. If you have a 20" trials unicycle you will be able to do freestyle
    and muni. You may use different methods but they will be possible.

    I would say the trials unicycle would work for what you are
    describing.

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - *Fantabulous Unicyclist

    WE WANT THE LION
    WE WANT THE LION
    WE WANT THE LION
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  3. What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni for
    freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things like
    gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  4. I was fine just riding a KH 24 MUni -- till I started down the rocky
    single tracks up in Santa Barbara, and had to walk down most of the
    technical bits for lack of trials skills.

    It takes months to learn how to "roll" over rocky stuff featuring shelf
    and boulder drops etc., but some stuff you can't roll, and that's where
    trials skills are required. And learning trials skills on grim MUni
    runs is not only sketchy, but very slow and risky.

    Much faster to get a 20 " trials uni and wire side and forward
    hops/drops and seat out stuff on the street, under somewhat controlled
    situations, where you can practice the moves over and over. Transfering
    said skills to the MUni takes a bit of time owing to the larger uni, but
    I've found this crossover strategy pretty handy. I've seen folks trying
    to learn hopping and dropping skills on the rocks, and sometimes it's
    not pretty. That's been my experience, little as it is.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - TurboMUnieers, Charter Member
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  5. Thanks for the replies!

    Andrew Carter said:

    What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni
    for freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things
    like gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    I'm in a similiar kind of situation now, except I've bought myself a
    cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a
    trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks
    for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would
    make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent
    speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it
    wouldn't be too sizy either!

    TheObieOne3226 said:

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they
    had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the
    big city (Tampere!) so I'll check the big stores then.

    Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside
    of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me
    at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  6. Thanks for the replies!

    Andrew Carter said:

    What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni
    for freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things
    like gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    I'm in a similiar kind of situation now, except I've bought myself a
    cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a
    trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks
    for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would
    make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent
    speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it
    wouldn't be too sizy either!

    TheObieOne3226 said:

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they
    had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the
    big city (Tampere!) so I'll check the big stores then.

    Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside
    of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me
    at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  7. Thanks for the replies!

    Andrew Carter said:

    What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni
    for freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things
    like gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    I'm in a similiar kind of situation now, except I've bought myself a
    cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a
    trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks
    for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would
    make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent
    speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it
    wouldn't be too sizy either!

    TheObieOne3226 said:

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they
    had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the
    big city (Tampere!) so I'll check the big stores then.

    Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside
    of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me
    at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  8. Thanks for the replies!

    Andrew Carter said:

    What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni
    for freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things
    like gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    I'm in a similiar kind of situation now, except I've bought myself a
    cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a
    trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks
    for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would
    make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent
    speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it
    wouldn't be too sizy either!

    TheObieOne3226 said:

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they
    had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the
    big city (Tampere!) so I'll check the big stores then.

    Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside
    of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me
    at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

  9. Thanks for the replies!

    Andrew Carter said:

    What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs' advice all those months ago,
    was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni
    for freestyle. I actually really like my 'freestyle' uni for things
    like gliding. I'm learning to coast on it now.

    I'm in a similiar kind of situation now, except I've bought myself a
    cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a
    trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks
    for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would
    make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent
    speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it
    wouldn't be too sizy either!

    TheObieOne3226 said:

    A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be
    fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a
    lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

    Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they
    had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the
    big city (Tampere!) so I'll check the big stores then.

    Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside
    of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me
    at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !

    --
    klaym - Cosmic Osmo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35121

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.