Road Cycling · Public discussion

Trek Incite 9i, but with cadence....?

Started by Hell And High Water · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,500 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 May 2008
Last activity
30 May 2008
Original author
Hell And High Water
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,500
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

    Love the clean look of the wireless.

    What are my options?

    THANKS!

    -Bob

  2. Quoted message said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

    Love the clean look of the wireless.

    What are my options?

    THANKS!

    -Bob

    Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
    nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
    as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
    the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
    nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
    get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
    which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.

    A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
    wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
    really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
    sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
    It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
    will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.

    But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
    one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
    multiply by 4.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  3. Quoted message said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
    Love the clean look of the wireless.
    What are my options?

    Learn to live without love?

    --
    mac the naïf

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
    Love the clean look of the wireless.
    What are my options?

    Learn to live without love?

    so now you're narrating my life...

    ;-)

    -Bob

  5. Hell And High Water said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

    Love the clean look of the wireless.

    What are my options?

    THANKS!

    -Bob

    Sigma BC1606 is your option. $72 from Nashbar. $80 at REI.

    It's really nice to have cadence on the computer, but wireless cadence
    is pretty rare.

  6. On May 29, 4:26 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

    Quoted message said:

    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

    Quoted message said:

    Love the clean look of the wireless.

    Quoted message said:

    What are my options?

    Quoted message said:

    THANKS!

    Quoted message said:

    -Bob

    Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
    nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
    as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
    the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
    nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
    get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
    which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.

    A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
    wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
    really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
    sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
    It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
    will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.

    But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
    one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
    multiply by 4.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Some swear by a cadence option, others swear at it. Personally, I like
    knowing my cadence but the counting and multiplying thing never really
    worked for me. I found myself mixing up the revolution count with the
    time count and always seemed to be spinning at 60 rpm. ;-)
    Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but if my options are to: A- Look
    at a watch to keep track of the time elapsed, then count revolutions,
    and then multiply or B- use a cyclocomputer with cadence, I'll pick
    B.
    I agree with you on the wireless aspect though. To me, the expense and
    hassle isn't worth it just to eliminate a couple barely noticeable
    wires especially when I can remember brake cables that seemed to soar
    in large (but graceful) arcs from the levers. It all depends on one's
    frame of reference I guess.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

    Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

    Love the clean look of the wireless.

    What are my options?

    THANKS!

    -Bob

    Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
    nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
    as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
    the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
    nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
    get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
    which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.

    A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
    wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
    really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
    sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
    It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
    will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.

    But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
    one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
    multiply by 4.

    Thanks Mike! I appreciate the thoughts!

    -Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.