Road Cycling · Public discussion

TREK 5500 VS LITESPEED Veneto

Started by John R. · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,727 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
26 April 2003
Last activity
28 April 2003
Original author
John R.
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,727
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I was hoping to get some advice. I have narrowed my bike search down to the
    5200/5500 and the litespeed Veneto. I was hoping to get some feed back and pros and cons of each.
    They both will be built with Campy Choirs so components are somewhat out of the equation. The
    litespeed is more expensive but I have been warned about carbon and life expectancy on the
    frame. I currently have a custom steel frame but want something lighter.

    Thanks in advance

  2. "John R." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:deAqa.632775$F1.84270@sccrnsc04...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I was hoping to get some advice. I have narrowed my bike search down to


    the

    Quoted message said:

    5200/5500 and the litespeed Veneto. I was hoping to get some feed back and pros and cons of each.
    They both will be built with Campy Choirs so components are somewhat out of the equation. The
    litespeed is more


    expensive

    Quoted message said:

    but I have been warned about carbon and life expectancy on the frame. I currently have a custom
    steel frame but want something lighter.

    that is a good decision to go with the lighter frame.

    If you get a frame that's 25% lighter, you'll go up hills almost 25% faster. You'll be amazed.

    good luck,

    M. Fattie

  3. I got a 5200 back in the mid-90s. It cracked. Trek replaced it with no questions asked. The new one
    was noticeably beefed up in the areas where problems had been reported. That was in 1998. Since
    then, I haven't ever heard of anyone having any frame issues with OCLV. I had about 60,000 miles on
    my last OCLV when I got hit by a car and that was that. Now I have a new 5500. Trek is marvelous
    about honoring their warranty and they warrant the OCLV frames for life. You can't get much lighter
    and they're highly durable. I ride on very rough tar and gravel roads all the time. There are no
    durability issues anymore.

    FWIW, Bob C.

    "John R." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:deAqa.632775$F1.84270@sccrnsc04...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I was hoping to get some advice. I have narrowed my bike search down to


    the

    Quoted message said:

    5200/5500 and the litespeed Veneto. I was hoping to get some feed back and pros and cons of each.
    They both will be built with Campy Choirs so components are somewhat out of the equation. The
    litespeed is more


    expensive

    Quoted message said:

    but I have been warned about carbon and life expectancy on the frame. I currently have a custom
    steel frame but want something lighter.

    Thanks in advance

  4. "psycholist" <.net...

    Quoted message said:

    I got a 5200 back in the mid-90s. It cracked. Trek replaced it with no questions asked. The new
    one was noticeably beefed up in the areas where problems had been reported. That was in 1998.
    Since then, I haven't ever heard of anyone having any frame issues with OCLV. I had about 60,000


    miles

    Quoted message said:

    on my last OCLV when I got hit by a car and that was that. Now I have a


    new

    Quoted message said:

    5500. Trek is marvelous about honoring their warranty and they warrant


    the

    Quoted message said:

    OCLV frames for life. You can't get much lighter and they're highly

    Ditto. I cannot say enough about how Trek honors their OCLV warranty. I'm on my 3rd frame since 1996
    (in the previous two frames I could NOT see any cracks (frame #1) or delamination (frame #2) -- it
    took a carefully trained eye (and machine) to spot the "defect/failure"😉.

    -Ken

    Quoted message said:

    durable. I ride on very rough tar and gravel roads all the time. There


    are

    Quoted message said:

    no durability issues anymore.

    FWIW, Bob C.

    "John R." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:deAqa.632775$F1.84270@sccrnsc04...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I was hoping to get some advice. I have narrowed my bike search down to


    the

    Quoted message said:

    5200/5500 and the litespeed Veneto. I was hoping to get some feed back


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pros and cons of each. They both will be built with Campy Choirs so components are somewhat out
    of the equation. The litespeed is more


    expensive

    Quoted message said:

    but I have been warned about carbon and life expectancy on the frame. I currently have a custom
    steel frame but want something lighter.

    Thanks in advance


  5. Rubbish!

    Tim McTeague

    Quoted message said:


    If you get a frame that's 25% lighter, you'll go up hills almost 25%


    faster.

    Quoted message said:

    You'll be amazed.

    good luck,

    M. Fattie

  6. Tim McTeague said:

    Rubbish!

    Tim McTeague

    Yes the speed increases by the square doesn't it?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    If you get a frame that's 25% lighter, you'll go up hills almost 25% faster. You'll be amazed.

    good luck,

    M. Fattie

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  7. Whaaa?? Reducing the weight of the bike 25%, while ignoring rider weight, will not increase your
    average speed up hills anywhere near 25%. Try it yourself, get two bikes with the appropriate weight
    difference, ride each up a hill and time yourself. It would help to have a heart monitor so you can
    keep the effort the same. Check you times and I think you will see they are pretty close.

    Tim

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tim McTeague said:

    Rubbish!

    Tim McTeague

    Yes the speed increases by the square doesn't it?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    If you get a frame that's 25% lighter, you'll go up hills almost 25% faster. You'll be amazed.

    good luck,

    M. Fattie

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  8. 1lb off your bike is same is 10lbs off your beer gut. Don't you know??

    Another Masters racer GK

    Tim McTeague said:

    Rubbish!

    Tim McTeague

    Quoted message said:


    If you get a frame that's 25% lighter, you'll go up hills almost 25%


    faster.

    Quoted message said:

    You'll be amazed.

    good luck,

    M. Fattie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.