what is the best way to put two mountain bikes in Jeep Cherokee ( no towe bar) ?
Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion
transporing bike in car
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Australia and New Zealand
- Published
- 4 July 2004
- Last activity
- 29 August 2004
- Original author
- mariuszm
- Posts
- 9
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,555
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by mariuszm
what is the best way to put two mountain bikes in Jeep Cherokee ( no towe bar) ?Cover them with blankets to make sure they don't rub on
anything or grease up your car.You might have to take the front wheel off them to fit.. I don't
know how big a Jeep is. -
What about roof rack ? Any brands, models, sizes ?
-
mariuszm said:
What about roof rack ? Any brands, models, sizes ?
We've got 2 Mont Blanc Barracuda racks on our Subaru Outback. They're great racks - really quick and easy mounts and dismounts. Very secure. They're the most expensive racks there but if you're using them regularly and your more concerned about convenience then it's well worth it.
If you've got big chunky downhill tires, the front wheel mould may be a problem. Also, Cherokees are a fair bit higher than an Outback - might be a bit tricker to get the bikes onto the roof. But a rack that doesn't require removing the wheels is definitely something you want to look at.
I've also got a universal rack that fits to the rear of cars which can carry up to 3 bikes. We went through a stage where we were just hiring cars for weekends and so this was perfect. It's quite quick to fix to the car and stable given that it's not bolted on in any way. Doesn't require tow-ball nor roof racks.
Katy.
-
I own a Jeep Cherokee. If you take the front wheels off both bikes and put a blanket or something similar between them to stop them rubbing you shouldn't have any problems at all. Alternatively by taking the front wheel off your bike you will find that it will stand upright. I am thinking of making some sort of bracing system to hold it upright in the back.
-
My MTB fits in the GF's Astra boot (sedan) with both wheels off, rear seat down, boot closed.
Sounds like alot of work but just an extra 2min with QR skewers. -
Fallguy said:
... I am thinking of making some sort of bracing system to hold it upright in the back.Don't spend too much time on it. Instead, go here:
then click on the "Bike Tight" link at the top of the page. It secures your front fork and can be bolted to a piece of wood for stability. Bought one at my LBS for $15.
-
gruppo said:
Don't spend too much time on it. Instead, go here:
then click on the "Bike Tight" link at the top of the page. It secures your front fork and can be bolted to a piece of wood for stability. Bought one at my LBS for $15.
Thanks for that. Had a look at the site and I like the bike tight system, it's exactly what I need. problem is I'm in Australia and I'm not sure if I can get it here. I am making some enquiries though.
Thanks again.
-
mariuszm said:
What about roof rack ? Any brands, models, sizes ?
Try these guys http://www.rola.com.au/
They're not cheap but their stuff is well made and there are a few oprtions for road and mountain bikes.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.