rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Trains and bicycles in Italy

Started by JMG · · Last activity · 8 posts · 464 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
16 September 2004
Last activity
19 September 2004
Original author
JMG
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
464
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm planning a trip next month to the Tuscany region. I'll be touring
    with a Tandem and was trying to get information from someone who's had
    experience riding the trains in Italy with a bicycle.

    Are they any issues or gotchas I need to know before I get there. I
    want to make sure I can get the bike on the train. I'll only need to
    take the train from the airport to the start and from the end of my
    trip back to the airport.

    Any input is greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    Joe

  2. If you're flying to Pisa you won't need to take the train as the airport is
    only one mile from the city centre, believe it or not.
    Generally I heard from other cyclists when I was cycling in Italy, that the
    trains are very bike friendly. Tandem friendly, I don't know.

  3. For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking
    bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
    rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world and
    how to ride in/out of about 120 airports. I've added a whole section to
    the site on flying with bikes since 9-11.

    See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    "JMG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm planning a trip next month to the Tuscany region. I'll be touring
    with a Tandem and was trying to get information from someone who's had
    experience riding the trains in Italy with a bicycle.

    Are they any issues or gotchas I need to know before I get there. I
    want to make sure I can get the bike on the train. I'll only need to
    take the train from the airport to the start and from the end of my
    trip back to the airport.

    Any input is greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    Joe

  4. [email hidden] (JMG) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm planning a trip next month to the Tuscany region. I'll be touring
    with a Tandem and was trying to get information from someone who's had
    experience riding the trains in Italy with a bicycle.

    Are they any issues or gotchas I need to know before I get there. I
    want to make sure I can get the bike on the train. I'll only need to
    take the train from the airport to the start and from the end of my
    trip back to the airport.

    Any input is greatly appreciated

    If you search back just two weeks in the archives of this group there
    was a thread on this topic then; here is a link to that thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/5laqm.

    In a nutshell, trains are allowed on many of the slower, more local
    trains. Bikes are not allowed on most of the faster trains. Have not
    tried with a tandem, and have never seen one on a train so not sure
    how that works. Some trains have hooks to hang bikes, and I am
    certain that no tandem will fit; there is only about a foot clearance
    from the lower wheel to the floor when hanging my touring bike. One
    potential source of agony: most stations have multiple platforms and
    at-grade crossing between platforms is not permitted. You need to
    take you use the 'sotto passagio', a below ground tunnel to move
    between platforms, and access to the tunnel is via stairs - no
    elevators. So you will be carrying your bike down then up steep
    stairs most every time you need to get to a train or from train back
    to the station. Painful enough with a half bike.

    Enjoy the trip; Tuscany is great, esp when you get off the main roads.

    - rick

  5. Joe,

    The hard part is knowing (while still in the States) if the train you
    want will accept your bike. A general rule: the smaller/more local
    the train, the more likely it is to have a designated place for a
    bike.

    You can get this info from each station's yellow departure
    timetable--a bike symbol on the timetable entry indicates that the
    train accepts bikes and usually has a car with a designated car. The
    blue bike symbol appears on the outside of the car, and the trick is
    then making sure you're standing where the bike car stops. This info
    is usually shown on a platform display of the composition of each
    train.

    In Tuscany, trains are surprisingly scarce. For instance, you can't
    tour the hill towns by train (of course, we don't want to go by
    train--that's why we take our bikes), so it sounds like you'll be more
    concerned with long hops between major cities. I have a very detailed
    Italian timetable book at home, and I'd be happy to give you the info
    therein if you send me an e-mail with departure and arrival dates (and
    times, if you can narrow it down) and cities. While it's a couple
    years old, most of the info is still applicable, including the
    bike-specific info.

    You can get timetable info at www.trenitalia.com, but I don't think
    there's much bike info there. You can also check raileurope.com or
    call them--they might be able to get more detailed info than what's
    available online.

    Cheers,

    Eric
    Lawrence, KS

  6. Eric Struckhoff said:

    Joe,

    The hard part is knowing (while still in the States) if the train you
    want will accept your bike. A general rule: the smaller/more local
    the train, the more likely it is to have a designated place for a
    bike.

    You can get this info from each station's yellow departure
    timetable--a bike symbol on the timetable entry indicates that the
    train accepts bikes and usually has a car with a designated car. The
    blue bike symbol appears on the outside of the car, and the trick is
    then making sure you're standing where the bike car stops. This info
    is usually shown on a platform display of the composition of each
    train.

    In Tuscany, trains are surprisingly scarce. For instance, you can't
    tour the hill towns by train (of course, we don't want to go by
    train--that's why we take our bikes), so it sounds like you'll be more
    concerned with long hops between major cities. I have a very detailed
    Italian timetable book at home, and I'd be happy to give you the info
    therein if you send me an e-mail with departure and arrival dates (and
    times, if you can narrow it down) and cities. While it's a couple
    years old, most of the info is still applicable, including the
    bike-specific info.

    You can get timetable info at www.trenitalia.com, but I don't think
    there's much bike info there. You can also check raileurope.com or
    call them--they might be able to get more detailed info than what's
    available online.

    Cheers,

    Eric
    Lawrence, KS


    I find that the German Deutsches Bahn site has always had the best info
    - even for other countries.
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Integrity is obvious.
    The lack of it is common.
    *****************************

  7. Chuck Anderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<7Fn2d.203008$mD.118742@attbi_s02>...

    Quoted message said:

    I find that the German Deutsches Bahn site has always had the best info
    - even for other countries.
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

    Wow, nice site! They even have a check box for bike carriage required
    on the front page of the ticket search. That narrows things down in a
    hurry.

    Eric

  8. [email hidden] (Eric Struckhoff) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Chuck Anderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<7Fn2d.203008$mD.118742@attbi_s02>...

    Quoted message said:

    I find that the German Deutsches Bahn site has always had the best info
    - even for other countries.
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

    Wow, nice site! They even have a check box for bike carriage required
    on the front page of the ticket search. That narrows things down in a
    hurry.

    Eric

    Thanks to everyone for the help. It looks like all I will need is this
    website, it's very good. I just hope they take Tandems or I'll be left
    standing at the station!!

    Joe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.