UK and Europe · Public discussion

Trailer bikes, add-a-bike - for adults ?

Started by Cherry Red · · Last activity · 15 posts · 1,173 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 February 2004
Last activity
19 February 2004
Original author
Cherry Red
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,173
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I can find plenty of these for children, but none for adult "behinders
    !"

    Let me elaborate ....

    BF is / was a keen cyclist. I used to be, some years ago, but I am now blind as a bat due to a
    progressive retinal degeneration. Hence, I would be a total hazard should I get on a bike of my own
    even if it were not on a public road (understatement !) But I'd like to take it up again and himself
    is hoping to lose the extra poundage my home cooking put on him at christmas. ;-) So - I see two
    solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the mortgage every month and eat with only
    the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have that sort of money. ;-) Two - a trailer bike
    or similar designed to take the weight and height of a thirty-something woman.

    Is there such a thing ? Where do I find it ? Searches on the web bring up plenty for kids but
    nothing for adults. Most of the disabled cyclist pages I can find speak of trailers to pull
    wheelchairs or adaptations where the passenger does not need to use their legs, which obviously
    isn't a problem for me cos my legs are in fine fettle - I just cannae see where I'm going !

    Any advice or pointers or other solutions would be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

    Rachael

  2. Hi Rachael
    A freind pointed me to your posting.
    There is one make of adult trailerbike, that is in fact a trike (if you see what i mean) it has 2 back wheels, it's made by pashley, and is called the add one, see the details here:
    http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/contemporary/add_1/splash.html

    BUT, i wouldn't like to ride one, certainly not quickly, and in any event, it's not cheap!

    What you NEED is a tandem.
    A 2nd hand tandem might not cost as much as you think, it would be worth giving me a call or an email, i'm back in on thursday 19th feb 2004. I'll need to know how tall you each are, and how much you weigh.
    Regards, Robin
    www.sjscycles.com
    [email hidden]
    01278-441522

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Cherry Red
    I can find plenty of these for children, but none for adult "behinders
    !"

    Let me elaborate ....

    BF is / was a keen cyclist. I used to be, some years ago, but I am now blind as a bat due to a
    progressive retinal degeneration. Hence, I would be a total hazard should I get on a bike of my own
    even if it were not on a public road (understatement !) But I'd like to take it up again and himself
    is hoping to lose the extra poundage my home cooking put on him at christmas. ;-) So - I see two
    solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the mortgage every month and eat with only
    the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have that sort of money. ;-) Two - a trailer bike
    or similar designed to take the weight and height of a thirty-something woman.

    Is there such a thing ? Where do I find it ? Searches on the web bring up plenty for kids but
    nothing for adults. Most of the disabled cyclist pages I can find speak of trailers to pull
    wheelchairs or adaptations where the passenger does not need to use their legs, which obviously
    isn't a problem for me cos my legs are in fine fettle - I just cannae see where I'm going !

    Any advice or pointers or other solutions would be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

    Rachael

  3. "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I can find plenty of these for children, but none for adult "behinders
    !"

    Let me elaborate ....

    BF is / was a keen cyclist. I used to be, some years ago, but I am now blind as a bat due to a
    progressive retinal degeneration. Hence, I would be a total hazard should I get on a bike of my
    own even if it were not on a public road (understatement !) But I'd like to take it up again and
    himself is hoping to lose the extra poundage my home cooking put on him at christmas. ;-) So - I
    see two solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the mortgage every month and eat
    with only the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have that sort of money. ;-) Two - a
    trailer bike or similar designed to take the weight and height of a thirty-something woman.

    Is there such a thing ? Where do I find it ? Searches on the web bring up plenty for kids but
    nothing for adults. Most of the disabled cyclist pages I can find speak of trailers to pull
    wheelchairs or adaptations where the passenger does not need to use their legs, which obviously
    isn't a problem for me cos my legs are in fine fettle - I just cannae see where I'm going !

    Any advice or pointers or other solutions would be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

    Yes, there is such a thing. I saw two riders doing the London-Brighton a few years ago on two MTB's
    where the front forks of the rear bike (without its wheel) were fixed to the rear stays of the front
    bike via a flexible linkage, making a 3 wheel tandem in effect. The part in question looked shiny
    and manufactured rather than home made. I have never seen one since and have no idea where it came
    from, but if you could get one it would probably be what you need ;-)

  4. "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I can find plenty of these for children, but none for adult "behinders
    !"

    Let me elaborate ....

    BF is / was a keen cyclist. I used to be, some years ago, but I am now blind as a bat due to a
    progressive retinal degeneration. Hence, I would be a total hazard should I get on a bike of my
    own even if it were not on a public road (understatement !)

    Ms Nex???

    You do pop up in odd places....

    E

  5. In article said:
    Cherry Red said:

    at christmas. ;-) So - I see two solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the
    mortgage every month and eat with only the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have
    that sort of money. ;-) Two - a trailer bike or similar designed to take the weight and height
    of a thirty-something woman.

    A friend of mine did recently find his thirty-something wife is below the weight limit for the
    trailer bike they bought for their daughter, but she is a smaller than average woman.

    Quoted message said:

    There is one make of adult trailerbike, that is in fact a trike (if you see what i mean) it has 2
    back wheels, it's made by pashley, and is called the add one, see the details here:
    pashley.co.uksplash.html

    BUT, i wouldn't like to ride one, certainly not quickly, and in any event, it's not cheap!

    The Hase Kettwiesel recumbent trike can have its front wheel taken off to turn it into a trailer.
    More stable than the Pashley, but even less cheap. Here's a photo of one being towed by a
    (recumbent) tandem: eland.uklinux.netDscn0055.jpg

    (You'll need to make a hitch unless you use another Kettwiesel as the towing bike.)

    But I suspect Robin's right and a tandem is the answer.

  6. Cherry Red said:

    So - I see two solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the mortgage every month and
    eat with only the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have that sort of money. ;-)=20

    As Robin has suggested, they do come up second hand for reasonable=20 prices. A pal wanted to make
    his non-cycling (as in had never ridden a=20 bike, not just didn't) GF a cycling GF and thought that
    a tandem would=20 be a way to do it but since they were both postgrad students at the time =

    money was not in overly abundant supply. The example he eventually=20 picked up was, IIRC, not much
    over =A3100 and though not exactly a premie= r=20 example of the species was quite good enough to
    ride around the Hebrides =

    on tour after some pretty straightforward work. Eventually sold on in=20 favour of a second hand
    Galaxy twin, which was rather more expensive but =

    still nowhere near the going rate for a new one.

    I think he found both through a tandem mailing list. Not being a=20 tandemist I don't know
    where that list lives, but Google may well know=20 or I can quiz Neil for more details if you
    can't find it.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  7. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:00:35 +0000, Cherry Red wrote: on him

    Quoted message said:

    at christmas. ;-) So - I see two solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the
    mortgage every month and eat with only the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have
    that sort of money. ;-) Two - a trailer bike or similar designed to take the weight and height of
    a thirty-something woman.

    Contact the All Abilities Cycling Group of the London Cycling Campaign maybe?
    lcc.org.ukindex.asp

    At the All Abilities launch, Nigel of London Recumbents brought along a whole array of bikes for
    trial. I think you can get some of the wheelchair bikes on Motability. No harm in trying to see if
    Motability will let you buy a tandem. Though they will probably tell you to get lost.

    London Recumbents has some ideas on funding: londonrecumbents.co.ukindex.php

    But as everyone else says, all you're looking for is a tandem.

    I've seen the Kettweisels in a joined up configuration (at last year's Dunwich Dynamo). Looked good,
    but yes pricey.

  8. "Frobnitz" <eddie_d@@@blueyonder.ocbackwards.uk> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I can find plenty of these for children, but none for adult


    "behinders

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    !"

    Let me elaborate ....

    BF is / was a keen cyclist. I used to be, some years ago, but I am


    now

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    blind as a bat due to a progressive retinal degeneration. Hence, I


    would

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be a total hazard should I get on a bike of my own even if it were


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on a public road (understatement !)

    Ms Nex???

    Indeed ! It was the "total hazard" bit that gave me away, wasn't it ? ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    You do pop up in odd places....

    E


    Or my reputation preceeds me .. ;-)

    Rachael

  9. "robin thorn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Hi Rachael A freind pointed me to your posting. There is one make of adult trailerbike, that is in
    fact a trike (if


    you see what i mean) it has 2 back wheels, it's made by pashley, and is called the add one, see the
    details here:

    Quoted message said:

    pashley.co.uksplash.html

    Very snazzy I must say. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    BUT, i wouldn't like to ride one, certainly not quickly, and in any event, it's not cheap!

    I can only imagine !

    Quoted message said:


    What you NEED is a tandem. A 2nd hand tandem might not cost as much as you think, it would be
    worth giving me a call or an email, i'm back in on thursday 19th feb 2004. I'll need to know how
    tall you each are,


    and

    Quoted message said:

    how much you weigh. Regards, Robin www.sjscycles.com


    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    01278-441522


    Thankyou for that - I'll drop you a mail. I have been scouring ebay and the like for second hand
    tandems but I must confess I have no idea what to look for to begin with, so therefore am wary of
    "bidding frenzy" situations. I'll contact you soon.

    Rachael

  10. "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, robin thorn


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Cherry Red said:

    at christmas. ;-) So - I see two solutions. One - a tandem. Unfortunately I need to pay the
    mortgage every month and eat with


    only

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the the disability benefits for income, so I don't have that sort


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    money. ;-) Two - a trailer bike or similar designed to take the


    weight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and height of a thirty-something woman.

    A friend of mine did recently find his thirty-something wife is below the weight limit for the
    trailer bike they bought for their daughter, but she is a smaller than average woman.

    I'd love to think that could be a possibility but I fear too many dumplings and pasties would make
    that a non starter !

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    There is one make of adult trailerbike, that is in fact a trike (if


    you see what i mean) it has 2 back wheels, it's made by pashley, and is called the add one, see the
    details here:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pashley.co.uksplash.html

    BUT, i wouldn't like to ride one, certainly not quickly, and in any event, it's not cheap!

    The Hase Kettwiesel recumbent trike can have its front wheel taken off to turn it into a trailer.
    More stable than the Pashley, but even less cheap. Here's a photo of one being towed by a
    (recumbent) tandem: eland.uklinux.netDscn0055.jpg

    (You'll need to make a hitch unless you use another Kettwiesel as the towing bike.)

    But I suspect Robin's right and a tandem is the answer.

    I reckon so - I don't fancy a trike though the bf is quite intrigued. Though that could be because
    my balance is actually far better than his, even with the dodgy eyes !

    Thankyou to all who replied, I think I'll give Robin an email, see if he (she ? don't want to get it
    wrong) can come up with something.

    Rachael

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Cherry

    Red said:

    I have been scouring ebay and the like for second hand tandems but I must confess I have no idea
    what to look for to begin with, so therefore am wary of "bidding frenzy" situations.

    I sold a second hand Orbita tandem in reasonable condition for £50 last autumn. I haven't been in
    the shop for a while so I don't know what the weans have been up to - I'll look when I get back to
    work and email you.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village millport.netmillport.net

  12. "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:40323c85$0$21299$

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ms Nex???

    Indeed ! It was the "total hazard" bit that gave me away, wasn't it ? ;-)

    Well yes, and that...................

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    You do pop up in odd places....

    E


    Or my reputation preceeds me .. ;-)

    Nah, you just leave fond memories.

    I hope you do get yourself kitted out with suitable wheels - pop back and let us know.

    E

  13. "Sandy Morton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Cherry Red

    Quoted message said:

    I have been scouring ebay and the like for second hand tandems but I must confess I have no idea
    what to look for to begin with, so therefore am wary of "bidding frenzy" situations.

    I sold a second hand Orbita tandem in reasonable condition for £50 last autumn. I haven't been in
    the shop for a while so I don't know what the weans have been up to - I'll look when I get back to
    work and email you.


    Thankyou. Try cyberwitch at badrats dot co dot uk as my usenet email in the headers is
    obviously fake.

    Rachael

  14. "Frobnitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:40323c85$0$21299$

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ms Nex???

    Indeed ! It was the "total hazard" bit that gave me away, wasn't it


    ?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ;-)

    Well yes, and that...................

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    You do pop up in odd places....

    E


    Or my reputation preceeds me .. ;-)

    Nah, you just leave fond memories.

    I have fond memories of "that other place" but it was in t r o ll disarray last time I went
    there. ;-(

    Quoted message said:


    I hope you do get yourself kitted out with suitable wheels - pop back


    and

    Quoted message said:

    let us know.


    I'll do that. Thanks for the help, you guys. It really does seem, from the posts, that a second hand
    tandem isn't as expensive as I thought afterall. It has also occured to me that it's even less
    expensive if I make the bf go halves ! ;-)

    Rachael

  15. "Cherry Red" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'll do that. Thanks for the help, you guys. It really does seem, from the posts, that a second
    hand tandem isn't as expensive as I thought afterall. It has also occured to me that it's even
    less expensive if I make the bf go halves ! ;-)

    So he should if he wants to ride with you. :-)

    --
    Dave...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.