Cycling Training · Public discussion

Trade the rollers in for a trainer?

Started by neilkod · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,373 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
26 January 2007
Last activity
27 January 2007
Original author
neilkod
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,373
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sorry, another equpment-related question. I'm starting to get a little weary of my rollers-they're quite noisy, they require a COMPLETELY flat surface (i.e. poured concrete), and lets face it, they're boring. I dont think a training dvd is an option on rollers.

    I'm leaning towards selling the rollers and picking up a Cycleops Fluid2. Any thoughts? I'm interested in some of the Spinervals workouts.

  2. neilkod said:

    I'm leaning towards selling the rollers and picking up a Cycleops Fluid2.

    You might want to consider the KK and 1UP as well. Lots of guys on the forum have one or the other of these trainers.

  3. neilkod said:

    Sorry, another equpment-related question. I'm starting to get a little weary of my rollers-they're quite noisy, they require a COMPLETELY flat surface (i.e. poured concrete), and lets face it, they're boring. I dont think a training dvd is an option on rollers.

    I'm leaning towards selling the rollers and picking up a Cycleops Fluid2. Any thoughts? I'm interested in some of the Spinervals workouts.

    Don't get a Fluid 2.....the fluid inside is unstable at heat and the bloody thing gets harder and harder to pedal as time goes on and even after 30 minutes....a real pain in the ass. The Kurt is the ONLY trainer with a thermodynamically stable fluid that does not get thinner or thicker when heated. It also has the best road feel...and for $50 you get a very accurate power meter....and the Fluid 2 WILL LEAK in time but the Kurt cannot due to it's construction.

    The best video's are by CTS (Carmichael)
    But tune into di.fm and listen to Trace, Progressive and sometimes Goa Trance while on the trainer.

    When you really want to hammer at VO2 max and up listen to Rammstein. It's pounding and dark....cool guttural German...really good stuff....makes you want to go to war....on the bike that is he he he

    Hope you have decent speakers...turn them up!

  4. You can buy a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine from (1upusa.comkurtkinetictrainer.htm) and they through in a Spinervals DVD and free shipping. They are a very reliable dealer. After trying the first DVD, I ended up buying 7 more Spinervals DVD's (love them with my KK).

  5. neilkod said:

    I dont think a training dvd is an option on rollers.

    I do Spinervals workouts on my rollers. It's not really a problem. And the DVD does help make the time a bit less boring, plus it pushes me pretty hard and a get a good workout. I personally think I'd be more bored on a trainer than on rollers, but that's your call.

  6. Can you keep the rollers? The trainer is good for power but nothing beats rollers for learning how to be smoother on the bike.

    I have a CycleOps Fluid, ride it all year due to my work schedule. I ride 3-5 hours a week on it, maybe max of 8-10 hours, long sessions are 2-3 hours long. I've had it two years and it's gotten a bit noisy - mainly from the flywheel being loose. Once I spaced it out and cranked it down, it's been fine (sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.comcycle ops fluid trainer how to.html). No leaks or anything.

    I'm actually going to convert my other CycleOps (a burnt out Electronic Trainer) to a Fluid as well.

    For dealing with motivation, I listen to music on an MP3 player while having a vid/DVD play in the background. I find when I ride hard I don't pay attention to the TV but when I go easy I let time drift by as I watch various bike tapes and stuff.

    hope this helps
    cdr

  7. neilkod said:

    Sorry, another equpment-related question. I'm starting to get a little weary of my rollers-they're quite noisy, they require a COMPLETELY flat surface (i.e. poured concrete), and lets face it, they're boring. I dont think a training dvd is an option on rollers.

    I'm leaning towards selling the rollers and picking up a Cycleops Fluid2. Any thoughts? I'm interested in some of the Spinervals workouts.


    The Cycleops Fluid 2 is quiet, but just as boring to ride indoors. good machine! Should cost about $230

  8. Get KK road or Pro trainer it's a leak free design no "O" rings.

  9. TiMan said:

    Don't get a Fluid 2.....the fluid inside is unstable at heat and the bloody thing gets harder and harder to pedal as time goes on and even after 30 minutes....a real pain in the ass. The Kurt is the ONLY trainer with a thermodynamically stable fluid that does not get thinner or thicker when heated. It also has the best road feel...and for $50 you get a very accurate power meter....and the Fluid 2 WILL LEAK in time but the Kurt cannot due to it's construction.

    The best video's are by CTS (Carmichael)
    But tune into di.fm and listen to Trace, Progressive and sometimes Goa Trance while on the trainer.

    When you really want to hammer at VO2 max and up listen to Rammstein. It's pounding and dark....cool guttural German...really good stuff....makes you want to go to war....on the bike that is he he he

    Hope you have decent speakers...turn them up!

    RAMMSTEIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.