General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR: Offa's Dyke/Llandegla Forest (Longish)

Started by Judith · · Last activity · 7 posts · 411 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 June 2005
Last activity
29 June 2005
Original author
Judith
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
411
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I spent hours looking at the maps last week - then set off for the
    same old place I always go ie the Ponderosa cafe on the Horseshoe Pass
    north of Llangollen.

    I parked up at 9:30ish and there was already a large group of
    motorcyclists assembled in the carpark. I assumed that they were just
    passing through, but there were even more of them when I got back so I
    think they must have been holding a rally.

    It was 9:45 before I got underway due to a mishap with my Platypus. I
    don't usually use it - because I don't do much Summer walking - and I
    had not screwed the tube on properly. By the time I got to the
    carpark the back of the car was under water! Bother. Oh well, I
    refilled it and enjoyed the cooling sensation of cold water dribbling
    down the back of my legs for the first 30 minutes walking!

    I had roughly decided on a 20km circular walk heading up towards and
    through Llandegla Forest and then onto Offa's Dyke path. I walk round
    here quite often but the start of this walk was new to me - until I
    realised that I *had* been there before but I'd walked it
    anti-clockwise last time.

    I'd not paid much attention to the Rights of Way on a section of track
    I intended to use and, when I got there, I found it had a closed gate
    and a No Entry sign. This meant I had to walk on the road for 1km but
    there was no traffic and it was not so far as to be boring.

    In the forest I saw a few mountain bikers. I've only tried mountain
    biking once and found it incredibly hard work. I only saw one walker
    until I got onto the Offa's Dyke Path (and I saw the same walker again
    later on the path!).

    When I came out of the forest I saw a rock, next to an information
    sign, and I remembered that the last time I had been there I had sat
    on that rock and taken photographs of the snow. It did not snow
    today! The weather was fine all day - hot and sunny but with a gentle
    breeze. Lovely walking weather.

    I passed a group of three walkers on the ODP. They weren't doing the
    entire path this time but had done it before and recommended that I do
    it some time. I've had an ODP guide book for years and really must
    get round to doing it. I noticed waymarkers for the Clwydian Way too,
    but I prefer the thought of an LDP which takes me somewhere rather
    than just going round in a circle.

    I passed two groups of Duke of Edinburgh scheme participants - one
    Bronze and one Silver. Neither group seemed particularly keen to be
    out! Do kids have to be *made* to do everything these days?

    I had my lunch at World's End. For once there was nobody sat on the
    bench. At this stage I think I had done exactly 10km (if memory
    serves me right) and I realised that my original planned route was
    going to be a lot more than 20km, so I decided to cut it short while I
    was still enjoying myself.

    From the ODP, I took the path that drops down to Plas Yn Eglwyseg. I
    always miss this path so I was paying particular attention as I
    approached. There is no real path there because of the scree but you
    can make out the waymarker on the distant gate if you know to look for
    it.

    I then joined the Clywdian Way and skirted round the side of a wood.
    After the wood, the path crossed a field of long grass and I couldn't
    be certain which of the distant gates was the one I wanted - so I went
    to the wrong one! The path had gone from being well waymarked to
    being not marked at all but, as I stood in the middle of a field
    trying to find a clue, the Bronze DoE team appeared and we exchanged
    tips on what lay ahead. Thanks lads.

    At any time of year, but especially Summer Sundays, I use a
    technically sophisticated method of finding the Ponderosa - I listen
    for children screaming. Good grief, it was Bedlam. Thankfully I had
    parked on the other side of the road, rather than the cafe's carpark,
    so had a nice patch of grass to sit on while I ate the rest of my
    scran and drank my tea. IMO, flask tea and malt loaf is the best food
    in the world after a walk.

    As I was driving back up the pass I was flashed by at least five cars
    coming the other way. I decided there must be something terrible
    hanging onto the front of my car, so I slowed right down and looked
    for somewhere to pull in. Then I saw the policeman with the
    speed-gun! I wasn't speeding anyway (I mean, it's up hill and have
    you seen what I drive?) and I reckon he was out to catch the bikers
    assembled down at the Cafe.

    In summary, a nice medium-length walk. 17.2km - so, 10.75 miles in
    old money - in 5 hours including lunch.

    Postscript (Only read this bit if you like laughing at stupid people)
    ==========

    The day started badly when I put my boots on and found them really
    tight around the toes. I've been wearing my sandals a lot, and
    haven't worn these boots since Exped 16, I think, so I laced them up
    lightly and hoped that they would feel better when I got to the walk.
    They were a bit better but my feet didn't feel right all day. I've
    never really taken to these Brasher Hillmaster GTX boots but they
    haven't felt this uncomfortable for ages.

    When I got home, I cleaned my boots and took my Superfeet footbeds out
    .......... and saw the Brasher footbeds underneath. Hm! That could
    explain why the boots were tight. I really do think *one* footbed is
    enough, Judith, you daft bint!

    Judith

  2. Judith said:

    I spent hours looking at the maps last week - then set off for the
    same old place I always go ie the Ponderosa cafe on the Horseshoe Pass
    north of Llangollen.

    Never been walking in that corner of Wales. From what you write and
    what I see on Getamap it looks as if it's worth a stopover sometime when
    I'm on the way back home from somewhere beyond Chester!

    Have you been to the Berwyn range? It's just on the other side of the
    road so to speak, and it's quite quiet and has pretty good views.

    Quoted message said:

    I had my lunch at World's End. For once there was nobody sat on the

    World's End? Ponderosa? That area's got its share of silly names it
    seems...

    Quoted message said:

    When I got home, I cleaned my boots and took my Superfeet footbeds out
    ......... and saw the Brasher footbeds underneath. Hm! That could
    explain why the boots were tight.

    Ouch!
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  3. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:14:31 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden] (Rudi

    Winter) said:
    Judith said:

    I spent hours looking at the maps last week - then set off for the
    same old place I always go ie the Ponderosa cafe on the Horseshoe Pass
    north of Llangollen.

    Never been walking in that corner of Wales. From what you write and
    what I see on Getamap it looks as if it's worth a stopover sometime when
    I'm on the way back home from somewhere beyond Chester!

    Have you been to the Berwyn range? It's just on the other side of the
    road so to speak, and it's quite quiet and has pretty good views.

    Quoted message said:

    I had my lunch at World's End. For once there was nobody sat on the

    World's End? Ponderosa? That area's got its share of silly names it
    seems...

    Quoted message said:

    When I got home, I cleaned my boots and took my Superfeet footbeds out
    ......... and saw the Brasher footbeds underneath. Hm! That could
    explain why the boots were tight.

    Ouch!

    World's End has some great walking. Lots of fossils too if that's your
    thing. The car park is frequented by thieves (you think it's off the
    beaten track, but it's not far from centres of abomination). Black
    grouse too, and plenty of buzzards, woodpeckers, etc. We watched a
    treecreeper building a nest last time we were there, and a willow
    warbler had made a nest a few feet from the car, in a grassy patch of
    the car park - I doubt it has survived.
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  4. Rudi Winter said:
    Judith said:

    I spent hours looking at the maps last week - then set off for the
    same old place I always go ie the Ponderosa cafe on the Horseshoe Pass
    north of Llangollen.

    Never been walking in that corner of Wales. From what you write and
    what I see on Getamap it looks as if it's worth a stopover sometime when
    I'm on the way back home from somewhere beyond Chester!

    I quite like it round there. It's only about 30 miles from home and it
    saves me having to think of somewhere else to go. The Ponderosa
    (which, I notice, is named on the online OS 1:25k get-a-map) is a
    honey-pot for Mancs and Scousers. It's a ghastly place on a hot summer
    day! People seem to actually *go* there rather than just parking the
    car there. I saw people getting their folding chairs out of the car
    and sitting, next to their car, eating their butties. Oh well, they
    probably think I'm mad walking up hills, carrying a rucksack, on a hot
    day.

    Quoted message said:


    Have you been to the Berwyn range? It's just on the other side of the
    road so to speak, and it's quite quiet and has pretty good views.


    No. I keep meaning to because I know it's just that little bit
    further. There are so many places I haven't been yet.

    Judith

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Judith <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Oh well, they
    probably think I'm mad walking up hills, carrying a rucksack, on a hot
    day.

    You are! Running is much better ;-)

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  6. Paul Rooney said:

    World's End has some great walking. Lots of fossils too if that's your
    thing.

    Fossils were a big ting for me when I was a kid. Months of fun digging
    around in the construction site for a new bypass road near where I grew
    up. I may well have ended up as a scientist because I caught the bug
    then...

    Quoted message said:

    grouse too, and plenty of buzzards, woodpeckers, etc. We watched a
    treecreeper building a nest last time we were there, and a willow

    ....but then, I have difficulty telling a starling from a swan!
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  7. On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:03:20 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden] (Rudi

    Winter) said:
    Paul Rooney said:

    World's End has some great walking. Lots of fossils too if that's your
    thing.

    Fossils were a big ting for me when I was a kid. Months of fun digging
    around in the construction site for a new bypass road near where I grew
    up. I may well have ended up as a scientist because I caught the bug
    then...

    Quoted message said:

    grouse too, and plenty of buzzards, woodpeckers, etc. We watched a
    treecreeper building a nest last time we were there, and a willow

    ...but then, I have difficulty telling a starling from a swan!

    Best thing is to take the kids and collect as many as possible before
    all our activities are tracked by the State!

    I resisted the urge to go back and add treecreeper eggs to the
    collection.
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.