Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Touring Route From Sydney to Melbourne

Started by SMeck · · Last activity · 13 posts · 4,569 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
15 November 2005
Last activity
30 December 2005
Original author
SMeck
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,569
Views / 30 days
17

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone recommend a good cycling route for a tour from Sydney to Melbourne (or a website/book/other resource where I can get this information)? I am looking for an inland route doable on a road bike using low-traffic backroads where-ever possible. Hills/climbs/mountains are no problem (actually the more the better) and gravel roads are okay too where necessary to complete route (paved roads are much prefered).

  2. Look at my posts in this thread - I would recommend a more (but not purely) coastal route over an inland route.

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t175911-.html

  3. artemidorus said:

    Look at my posts in this thread - I would recommend a more (but not purely) coastal route over an inland route.

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t175911-.html

    The Lonely planet book on cycling australia and another book called cycle touring in Australia I believe map out similar routes that take you through gippsland, over the victorian alps and then up the south coast of NSW to sydney.

  4. Thanks for the info, the Lonely Planet Book is on the way to our local library branch--should be a big help. Nick: I'm planning a coastal ride from Melbourne to Adelaide for the second half of trip, hence desire to head inland for first portion. Cheers!

  5. SMeck said:

    Thanks for the info, the Lonely Planet Book is on the way to our local library branch--should be a big help. Nick: I'm planning a coastal ride from Melbourne to Adelaide for the second half of trip, hence desire to head inland for first portion. Cheers!

    For the first section you MUST ride the Great Alpine Road, sooo good! Then for the second section you ABSOLUTELY MUST ride the Great Ocean Road (i assume you were going to do this anyway).

  6. Jono: You must have read my mind, those are my plans exactly. I have actually ridden the Great Ocean Road before so I don't need info on it. But, I've never done the Alpine road--if you have may I email you directly with some more detailed route questions? If yes, let me know at [email hidden]. Thanks.

    Jono L said:

    For the first section you MUST ride the Great Alpine Road, sooo good! Then for the second section you ABSOLUTELY MUST ride the Great Ocean Road (i assume you were going to do this anyway).

  7. SMeck said:

    Jono: You must have read my mind, those are my plans exactly. I have actually ridden the Great Ocean Road before so I don't need info on it. But, I've never done the Alpine road--if you have may I email you directly with some more detailed route questions? If yes, let me know at [email hidden]. Thanks.


    Well the Great Alpine Rd is not actually on the way from Sydney to Melbourne - the start at one end (say Bruthen) is about as far from Melbourne as the other end (Wangaratta) - but a nice ride with some big hills, Mt Hotham for example. (And theres the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail from Bright to [censored] with off shoot to Beechworth).
    If I was doing Syd-Melb and didnt mind hills I would go Canberra, Cooma, Jindabyne, Thredbo, Corryong, Tallangatta, Beechworth, Whitfield, Mansfield, Alexandra, Healesville, Lilydale - all on good bitumen roads and avoiding the hellish traffic of the Princes Hwy and the hellish boredom of the Hume.

  8. I'm planning on cycling from Sydney to Melbourne. I was thinking of going along the Princes Highway but I think there might be too much traffic to attempt this and so I'm going to have to find alternative means.

    Generally speaking, would I be best advised to ride only on main roads and to avoid highways?

  9. dannyfrankszzz said:

    I'm planning on cycling from Sydney to Melbourne. I was thinking of going along the Princes Highway but I think there might be too much traffic to attempt this and so I'm going to have to find alternative means.

    Generally speaking, would I be best advised to ride only on main roads and to avoid highways?


    See my route in the post just above! If you dont mind hills and want good quiet cruising on good bitumen its the way Id go.

  10. dannyfrankszzz said:

    I'm planning on cycling from Sydney to Melbourne. I was thinking of going along the Princes Highway but I think there might be too much traffic to attempt this and so I'm going to have to find alternative means.

    Generally speaking, would I be best advised to ride only on main roads and to avoid highways?


    Follow my route detailed in my link above! It is possible to go down the coast avoiding the Princes Hwy in most parts. It (the Hwy) is OK past Eden.

  11. artemidorus said:

    Follow my route detailed in my link above! It is possible to go down the coast avoiding the Princes Hwy in most parts. It (the Hwy) is OK past Eden.

    Anyone done Syd Melb by going throught Canberra - cooma then down through Bombala to Cann River or from Cooma to Bega then along the Princes Hwy.

    I am thinking of that as an alternative to the car-cluttered NSW south coast?

    Any comments as to terrain, rideability etc.?

    Scotty

  12. I'm currently going south along the coast. It's quite hilly, quite busy but the weather is way too hot!!! OK, I'm from the UK and not used to this tropical weather but I would strongly advise waiting for the end of the summer to start touring.

  13. scotty72 said:

    Anyone done Syd Melb by going throught Canberra - cooma then down through Bombala to Cann River or from Cooma to Bega then along the Princes Hwy.

    I am thinking of that as an alternative to the car-cluttered NSW south coast?

    Any comments as to terrain, rideability etc.?

    Scotty


    You would be missing most of the best bits of the coast.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.