General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tortilla Soup from Cook's Illustrated

Started by King's Crown · · Last activity · 11 posts · 695 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 December 2005
Last activity
2 December 2005
Original author
King's Crown
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
695
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne

  2. On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:54:01 GMT, "King's Crown" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Well, I won't claim it's dyn-o-mite, but here's what I've come up
    with. (measurements are inexact, adjust for how much soup you need to
    feed everyone:

    Tortilla Soup Casa Jason

    chicken, cooked and shredded
    chicken broth
    tortillas, freshly fried is best but use the supermarket tostadas
    (unsalted) in a pinch
    avocado, in chunks
    serrano or jalapeno chilis, sliced into rounds
    green onion, cut into strips
    garlic, diced
    cheese, diced queso fresco, monterey jack, cheddar, fontina, it's all
    good, diced or shredded
    tomato, diced (one roma would be sufficient for several cups of soup)
    cilantro, chopped
    cumin seed, go lite with this,lighter yet if powdered
    mexican oregano, regular if you can't find Mexican, again lightly it c
    can overwhelm
    limes
    salt, pepper

    Heat soup pot, add oil, when hot add diced onion and saute until
    translucent, add diced garlic, some of the chili rounds, the cumin and
    oregano, and finally the diced tomato and some of the cilantro and
    saute just a little more. Don't burn the garlic.

    Add the broth and bring to a simmering boil. Simmer for 10 - 15
    minutes then add the chicken and squeeze in some lime juice. Season
    with salt and pepper. Watch the salt if the broth is already salty.

    In large bowls, break up the tortilla chips into bite-size pieces,
    sprinkle with the rest of the chilis, cilantro, cheese, green onion,
    and avocado. Pour the hot soup into the bowls dividing the chicken
    evenly. The hot broth will melt the cheese and warm the avocado.
    Squeeze in a little more lime juice and serve (with extra lime slices
    if you like).

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    King's Crown said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne

    TNT? Like big time hot? Add more hot sauce.
    Do a Google groups search with Nancy Young's name as author. Joan
    Lunden's recipe, I think, is the basis. I think Joan Lunden was -- oh,
    [censored], here:
    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

    Recipe By : Nancy Young gets the credit
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 chopped medium onion (about 1 cup) and
    2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 tsps) in
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

    4 ounces can chopped green chiles
    15 ounces can Italian-style stewed tomatoes (chopped
    and with their own juice)
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper
    2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

    4 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup water

    1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cut into
    small cubes

    1/3 cup non-fat sour cream

    4 corn tortillas

    In a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the oil over low heat
    for 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add next group of ingredients.
    Simmer for 20 minutes.

    In a small bowl, combine flour with water and whisk into soup. Bring the
    soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

    Add 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes.

    Simmer for 5 minutes.

    Stir in 1/3 cup non-fat sour cream, salt, and pepper to taste.

    Cut 4 store-bought corn tortillas into 1/4 inch strips. Lay them on a
    baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Bake in a 400 degree
    oven for 10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted and crispy.
    Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Garnish strips across the top of
    the finished soup with fresh coriander.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1434 Calories; 49g Fat (31%
    calories from fat); 160g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 273mg Cholesterol;
    7263mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 5 Starch/Bread; 19 1/2 Lean Meat; 6 Fat

    NOTES : Nancy Young has posted this to r.f.c. more than once, I think.
    Originally from Good Morning America's Joan Lunden. Made it 1-4-05 --
    a rousing success. I used another 1-1/2 cups chicken broth and about 12
    ounces of cooked chicken -- it was plenty of chicken meat in the soup.
    Also added a tablespoon of lime juice and more hot sauce than
    specified--used some of George Shirley's wicked stuff. It was just hot
    enough!

    _____
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-28-05 - Sam I Am! and Hello

  4. King's Crown said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne

    The L.A. Times food section had an article today about tortilla soup,
    complete with several recipes. Go to latimes.com, click on Food in the
    sections listed on the left column of the page and the story is called
    "A Bowl of Mexican Soup." -aem

  5. aem said:
    King's Crown said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT
    Tortilla soup recipe?

    Lynne

    The L.A. Times food section had an article today about tortilla soup,
    complete with several recipes. Go to latimes.com, click on Food in
    the sections listed on the left column of the page and the story is
    called "A Bowl of Mexican Soup." -aem

    Oddly enough, I want more (canned) menudo. Oddly enough, I turned the
    channel the other night and found an episode of 'Sanford & Sons' and they
    were talking about menudo 🙂

    Jill

  6. "King's Crown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne


    I am not familiar with the Cooks Illustrated version of Tortilla Soup but I
    cobbled together a recipe to make use of leftover turkey and the turkey
    carcass. It was inspired by a recipe I found on Epicurious from the Cafe
    Annie restaurant in Huston. It turned out extremely well garnished with
    avocado relish, fresh lime juice and grated chihuahua cheese. I doubled and
    modified the original recipe but it can be found on Epicurious as "Tortilla
    Soup with Avocado Relish". I am a fan of Rick Bayless's style Mexican
    cooking which frequently calls for charring unpeeled garlic etc. to achieve
    a smoky effect. This recipe makes this easier by putting peeled garlic,
    onions and tomatoes under the broiler to achieve this satisfying result.
    This recipe calls for toasted dried chiles, reconstituted in hot water then
    pureed with the charred vegetables. This adds a huge flavor dimension over
    merely adding chile powder etc.

    Home made poultry stock - 4 quarts (mine was turkey carcass plus lots of
    onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, parsley etc. slow simmered then
    strained and defatted) substitute home made chicken stock or low sodium
    canned stock doctored by simmering for 1 hour with some onion, carrots and
    celery or whatever vegetables you have that are thinking of going bad in the
    near future.
    8 cloves garlic
    2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes or two cans (28 oz) canned plum tomatoes
    1 large white onion coarsley chopped (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
    4 to 6 dried chile peppers (I used 2 ancho, 2 guajillo and 1 mulato as
    that's what I had on hand. I think the combination was very fortuitous and
    gave the soup a nice depth with out being excessively spicy hot. Add hotter
    dried peppers or perhaps add some chipotle in adobo for more heat and a
    little smoke.
    2 tsp dried oregano (or more to taste)
    1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground or substitute ground cumin and adjust
    amount to taste
    12 to 18 fresh 5 to 6 inch tortillas (I used corn)
    corn or peanut oil (I baked the tortillas brushed with oil. The recipe I
    started with deep fried them in oil at 375 degrees for 30 seconds to 1
    minute)
    3 cups or more shredded roasted turkey meat (We used all of the leftover
    turkey so I'm guestimating the amount you can substitute cooked chicken)

    Avocado relish
    3 ripe California avocados
    1 small vine-ripened tomato, diced
    2/3 cup finely chopped white onion (about 1/2 onion)
    1 to 2 fresh serrano chilies, minced using rubber gloves
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns

    Garnish
    Grated Chihuahua cheese
    lime wedges
    cilantro sprigs (optional)
    sour cream (optional)

    Preheat broiler.
    Coarsely chop onion. In a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron or other heavy
    ovenproof skillet arrange onion, tomatoes, and garlic in one layer and broil
    about 2 inches from heat, turning vegetables occasionally with tongs, until
    tomato skins are blistered and lightly charred, about 20 minutes. Cool
    vegetables.

    While vegetables are broiling, remove stems, seeds, and ribs from chilies
    (wear rubber gloves). Heat a dry griddle or heavy skillet over moderate heat
    until hot but not smoking and toast chilies, 1 or 2 at a time, pressing down
    with tongs, a few seconds on each side, or until more pliable. Transfer
    chilies as toasted to a bowl. Cover chilies with hot water and soak about 20
    minutes, or until soft.

    Drain chilies, discarding soaking liquid, and in a blender purée with
    vegetable mixture until smooth.

    Cut 12 tortillas into quarters and cut remaining 4 to 6 tortillas into
    1/4-inch-wide strips. At this point I digressed from the recipe and
    pre-heated my oven to 375F. I brushed the tortilla pieces with oil and
    placed on a baking sheet in a single layer and baked for about ten minutes
    until crisp. Crush tortilla quarters in a heavy duty ziplock bag with a
    rolling pin. The tortilla strips will be used as garnish.

    In a 5-quart heavy kettle bring stock and chili pur?e to a boil, stirring.
    Stir in crushed tortillas, oregano, and salt and simmer, uncovered, whisking
    occasionally, until tortillas are soft and soup is slightly thickened, 30 to
    45 minutes. Taste and season soup with kosher salt and pepper.

    While soup is simmering:
    Peel and pit avocados and cut avocados into 1/4-inch dice. In a bowl gently
    stir together avocados, tomato, onion, chilies, and remaining relish
    ingredients until combined well.

    When ready to serve ladle soup into bowls top with a dollop of avocado
    relish, tortilla strips, grated cheese and optional sour cream and cilantro.

    Enjoy!

    Kate

  7. Kate said:

    I am not familiar with the Cooks Illustrated version of Tortilla Soup but
    I cobbled together a recipe to make use of leftover turkey and the turkey
    carcass.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    When ready to serve ladle soup into bowls top with a dollop of avocado
    relish, tortilla strips, grated cheese and optional sour cream and
    cilantro.

    Wow! Thanks, Kate!

    Bob

  8. J. Eric Durbin said:

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:54:01 GMT, "King's Crown" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Well, I won't claim it's dyn-o-mite, but here's what I've come up
    with. (measurements are inexact, adjust for how much soup you need to
    feed everyone:

    Tortilla Soup Casa Jason

    chicken, cooked and shredded
    chicken broth
    tortillas, freshly fried is best but use the supermarket tostadas
    (unsalted) in a pinch
    avocado, in chunks
    serrano or jalapeno chilis, sliced into rounds
    green onion, cut into strips
    garlic, diced
    cheese, diced queso fresco, monterey jack, cheddar, fontina, it's all
    good, diced or shredded
    tomato, diced (one roma would be sufficient for several cups of soup)
    cilantro, chopped
    cumin seed, go lite with this,lighter yet if powdered
    mexican oregano, regular if you can't find Mexican, again lightly it c
    can overwhelm
    limes
    salt, pepper

    Heat soup pot, add oil, when hot add diced onion and saute until
    translucent, add diced garlic, some of the chili rounds, the cumin and
    oregano, and finally the diced tomato and some of the cilantro and
    saute just a little more. Don't burn the garlic.

    Add the broth and bring to a simmering boil. Simmer for 10 - 15
    minutes then add the chicken and squeeze in some lime juice. Season
    with salt and pepper. Watch the salt if the broth is already salty.

    In large bowls, break up the tortilla chips into bite-size pieces,
    sprinkle with the rest of the chilis, cilantro, cheese, green onion,
    and avocado. Pour the hot soup into the bowls dividing the chicken
    evenly. The hot broth will melt the cheese and warm the avocado.
    Squeeze in a little more lime juice and serve (with extra lime slices
    if you like).

    From the lack of response, I'd guess it was far from "dyn-o-mite".
    Maybe your family likes it.

  9. On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:51:54 GMT, "Kate B" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "King's Crown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne


    I am not familiar with the Cooks Illustrated version of Tortilla Soup but I
    cobbled together a recipe to make use of leftover turkey and the turkey
    carcass. It was inspired by a recipe I found on Epicurious from the Cafe
    Annie restaurant in Huston. It turned out extremely well garnished with
    avocado relish, fresh lime juice and grated chihuahua cheese. I doubled and
    modified the original recipe but it can be found on Epicurious as "Tortilla
    Soup with Avocado Relish". I am a fan of Rick Bayless's style Mexican
    cooking which frequently calls for charring unpeeled garlic etc. to achieve
    a smoky effect. This recipe makes this easier by putting peeled garlic,
    onions and tomatoes under the broiler to achieve this satisfying result.
    This recipe calls for toasted dried chiles, reconstituted in hot water then
    pureed with the charred vegetables. This adds a huge flavor dimension over
    merely adding chile powder etc.

    Home made poultry stock - 4 quarts (mine was turkey carcass plus lots of
    onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, parsley etc. slow simmered then
    strained and defatted) substitute home made chicken stock or low sodium
    canned stock doctored by simmering for 1 hour with some onion, carrots and
    celery or whatever vegetables you have that are thinking of going bad in the
    near future.
    8 cloves garlic
    2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes or two cans (28 oz) canned plum tomatoes
    1 large white onion coarsley chopped (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
    4 to 6 dried chile peppers (I used 2 ancho, 2 guajillo and 1 mulato as
    that's what I had on hand. I think the combination was very fortuitous and
    gave the soup a nice depth with out being excessively spicy hot. Add hotter
    dried peppers or perhaps add some chipotle in adobo for more heat and a
    little smoke.
    2 tsp dried oregano (or more to taste)
    1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground or substitute ground cumin and adjust
    amount to taste
    12 to 18 fresh 5 to 6 inch tortillas (I used corn)
    corn or peanut oil (I baked the tortillas brushed with oil. The recipe I
    started with deep fried them in oil at 375 degrees for 30 seconds to 1
    minute)
    3 cups or more shredded roasted turkey meat (We used all of the leftover
    turkey so I'm guestimating the amount you can substitute cooked chicken)

    Avocado relish
    3 ripe California avocados
    1 small vine-ripened tomato, diced
    2/3 cup finely chopped white onion (about 1/2 onion)
    1 to 2 fresh serrano chilies, minced using rubber gloves
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns

    Garnish
    Grated Chihuahua cheese
    lime wedges
    cilantro sprigs (optional)
    sour cream (optional)

    Preheat broiler.
    Coarsely chop onion. In a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron or other heavy
    ovenproof skillet arrange onion, tomatoes, and garlic in one layer and broil
    about 2 inches from heat, turning vegetables occasionally with tongs, until
    tomato skins are blistered and lightly charred, about 20 minutes. Cool
    vegetables.

    While vegetables are broiling, remove stems, seeds, and ribs from chilies
    (wear rubber gloves). Heat a dry griddle or heavy skillet over moderate heat
    until hot but not smoking and toast chilies, 1 or 2 at a time, pressing down
    with tongs, a few seconds on each side, or until more pliable. Transfer
    chilies as toasted to a bowl. Cover chilies with hot water and soak about 20
    minutes, or until soft.

    Drain chilies, discarding soaking liquid, and in a blender purée with
    vegetable mixture until smooth.

    Cut 12 tortillas into quarters and cut remaining 4 to 6 tortillas into
    1/4-inch-wide strips. At this point I digressed from the recipe and
    pre-heated my oven to 375F. I brushed the tortilla pieces with oil and
    placed on a baking sheet in a single layer and baked for about ten minutes
    until crisp. Crush tortilla quarters in a heavy duty ziplock bag with a
    rolling pin. The tortilla strips will be used as garnish.

    In a 5-quart heavy kettle bring stock and chili pur?e to a boil, stirring.
    Stir in crushed tortillas, oregano, and salt and simmer, uncovered, whisking
    occasionally, until tortillas are soft and soup is slightly thickened, 30 to
    45 minutes. Taste and season soup with kosher salt and pepper.

    While soup is simmering:
    Peel and pit avocados and cut avocados into 1/4-inch dice. In a bowl gently
    stir together avocados, tomato, onion, chilies, and remaining relish
    ingredients until combined well.

    When ready to serve ladle soup into bowls top with a dollop of avocado
    relish, tortilla strips, grated cheese and optional sour cream and cilantro.

    Enjoy!

    Kate


    This looks great! Much better than that other recipe in this thread.
    I'm going to give this a try.

  10. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    King's Crown said:

    It was good, but not wonderful. I spent 2 1/2 hours making it and it
    required my attention every minute. Does anyone here have a TNT Tortilla
    soup recipe?

    Lynne

    TNT? Like big time hot? Add more hot sauce.
    Do a Google groups search with Nancy Young's name as author. Joan
    Lunden's recipe, I think, is the basis. I think Joan Lunden was -- oh,
    [censored], here:
    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup


    (recipe snipped)

    I tried the recipe today using the leftover turkey and turkey broth
    from Thanksgiving. Pretty good. The DH thinks it would be better
    with chicken, but managed to eat a couple of bowls of this. Definitely
    on my repeat list.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  11. "The Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:15:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    TNT? Like big time hot? Add more hot sauce.
    Do a Google groups search with Nancy Young's name as author. Joan
    Lunden's recipe, I think, is the basis. I think Joan Lunden was -- oh,
    [censored], here:

    Oh! I just saw this, cool!

    Quoted message said:

    I tried the recipe today using the leftover turkey and turkey broth
    from Thanksgiving. Pretty good. The DH thinks it would be better
    with chicken, but managed to eat a couple of bowls of this. Definitely
    on my repeat list.

    That's great! And I agree with your husband, I think it would be better
    with chicken, too, but hey. It's one of Mr. Libido Incognito's and my
    favorite soups when it gets nasty out. Last time I made it, I made it a
    little too hot, tears/runny nose, the whole deal. Whew!

    I also make it with hot Italian sausage in place of the chicken sometimes.

    nancy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.