Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Topping of the air

Started by Ken Bessler · · Last activity · 7 posts · 681 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 September 2003
Last activity
15 September 2003
Original author
Ken Bessler
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
681
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I saw this sentance in another thread:

    onefred said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is a Continental GP3000 tire, size 20x700c on a Mavic CXP33 rim.


    About

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    2 years old and 200o miles and never flatted. I inflate to 120# before


    EVERY

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ride. I weigh 185#.


    I too have to top off my tubes to 110# every couple of days. When I used to ride a mountain bike
    (40#) I never had to top off the tubes...

    Is this normal for road bikes? Sorry if it's a dumb question.... newbie here but learning lots from
    you folks....

    Ken

  2. "Ken Bessler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I saw this sentance in another thread:

    onefred said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is a Continental GP3000 tire, size 20x700c on a Mavic CXP33 rim.


    About

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    2 years old and 200o miles and never flatted. I inflate to 120# before


    EVERY

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ride. I weigh 185#.


    I too have to top off my tubes to 110# every couple of days. When I used to ride a mountain bike
    (40#) I never had to top off the tubes...

    Is this normal for road bikes? Sorry if it's a dumb question.... newbie here but learning lots
    from you folks....

    Yes, road tires have less volume, and higher pressure, so they tend to lose pressure faster. I
    usually pump mine once a week or so (25-28 mm, 110 psi).

  3. Ken Bessler said:

    I too have to top off my tubes to 110# every couple of days. When I used to ride a mountain bike
    (40#) I never had to top off the tubes...

    Is this normal for road bikes?

    It is common.

    As well as the narrow size and high pressure, the tube walls may be thinner so more porous than than
    your old mountain bike ones. The air escapes through the butyl rubber. You could try and find some
    thicker and wider* tubes if you don't want to inflate so often but they will be heavier and possibly
    less supple, although more reliable. Personally, I'm happy to use ultralight narrow tubes. Topping
    up is no big deal when you have a floor pump at home and aren't touring.

    * Wider tubes don't stretch so much so also will be less porous. Tyres can take a range of
    tube sizes.

    ~PB

  4. Quoted message said:

    I too have to top off my tubes to 110# every couple of days. When I used to ride a mountain bike
    (40#) I never had to top off the tubes...

    Is this normal for road bikes? Sorry if it's a dumb question.... newbie


    here

    Quoted message said:

    but learning lots from you folks....

    I recommend topping off your road bike tires before *every* ride, even if it's daily. Road tires
    perform best within a very narrow range of pressure (unlike a mountain bike, where it's much less
    critical), and, sorry, the best calibrated thumb in the world is no match for a pressure gauge, and
    won't tell you if your tire has 100psi or 120.

    In addition, topping them off before each ride will help you spot slow leaks more readily... leaks
    that might indicate something that's a small problem now, but potentially bigger soon.

    If you want to do it right, inspect your tires *after* each ride, and inflate just prior. Why
    inspect after the ride? Because you won't be in a rush so, if you find something that looks bad, you
    can take care of it instead of rationalizing that it'll be OK or be late for the ride.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  5. MikeJ-<< the best calibrated thumb in the world is no match for a pressure gauge, and won't tell you
    if your tire has 100psi or 120. >><BR><BR>

    C'mon Mike, those same thumbs can find spoke tension and crank arm torque....don't need
    measuring tools!!!

    ;-l)...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Quoted message said:

    C'mon Mike, those same thumbs can find spoke tension and crank arm torque....don't need measuring
    tools!!!

    Yeah, but I probably lost their calibration from mounting too many motorcycle tires back in the day!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    MikeJ-<< the best calibrated thumb in the world is no match for a pressure gauge, and won't tell
    you if your tire has 100psi or 120. >><BR><BR>

    C'mon Mike, those same thumbs can find spoke tension and crank arm torque....don't need measuring
    tools!!!

    ;-l)...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Ken Bessler' may have said:

    I too have to top off my tubes to 110# every couple of days. When I used to ride a mountain bike
    (40#) I never had to top off the tubes...

    Is this normal for road bikes? Sorry if it's a dumb question.... newbie here but learning lots from
    you folks....

    Yes.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.