General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Took 30 days off from running. How do I restart?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 13 posts · 175 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 September 2007
Last activity
4 September 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
175
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Start with one step on day 1 and increase 10% per week :-)

    Or you can start jogging a mile 3-4 times a week and take it from there...

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Stay with hiking unless you had a lobotomy in those 30 days. As soon as
    you try to run and hike you leave your common sense by the roadside and
    start to whine about being hurt.

    -DF

  4. Doug Freese said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Stay with hiking unless you had a lobotomy in those 30 days. As soon as
    you try to run and hike you leave your common sense by the roadside and
    start to whine about being hurt.

    -DF

    Doug, I don't think the poor guy runs or hikes much. It's all pretty
    much a spoof to have some semblance of human contact here. Even
    negative comments are welcomed.

  5. Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be back up to par,
    especially if you have been hiking this whole time. And, hey, well if
    weather permits and the trails are still good....happy trails to you.
    side note: have you tried trail running yet? It's the bomb!
    hunny

  6. Doug Freese said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Stay with hiking unless you had a lobotomy in those 30 days. As soon as
    you try to run and hike you leave your common sense by the roadside and
    start to whine about being hurt.

    -DF

    My hiking was no less stupid. I was hiking every second day and became
    physically and mentally exhausted from it. Didnt injure myself,
    though. I do this obsessive stuff to escape a [censored] reality.

  7. Al Bundy said:
    Doug Freese said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Quoted message said:

    Stay with hiking unless you had a lobotomy in those 30 days. As soon as
    you try to run and hike you leave your common sense by the roadside and
    start to whine about being hurt.

    Quoted message said:

    -DF

    Doug, I don't think the poor guy runs or hikes much. It's all pretty
    much a spoof to have some semblance of human contact here. Even
    negative comments are welcomed.

    I did about 15 major hikes in 30 days. If i was looking for attention,
    why did i stop posting here for the past 30 days?

  8. hunny said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be back up to par,
    especially if you have been hiking this whole time. And, hey, well if
    weather permits and the trails are still good....happy trails to you.
    side note: have you tried trail running yet? It's the bomb!
    hunny

    I run on gravel trails but not mountain trails. Mountain trails are
    too far from where I live. I've done trai running in adventure racing.
    It doesnt seem that different from running on tame trails. I guess it
    forces you to be more alert.

  9. You may not have lost that much ability until you
    try and find out. My only major layoff in the past
    30 years was a couple of months due to a severe
    auto accident. I could run 20 minutes without problem
    and was back to a hour in six months.

  10. rick++ said:

    was a couple of months due to a severe
    auto accident.

    So my prayers were ALMOST answered? Cool, I'll keep it up.

  11. Quoted message said:
    hunny said:

    On Aug 31, 8:13 pm, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got a little obsessed with hiking for past month and have done no
    running. I think I was running about an hour when I quit. How
    gradually do I have to get back into running?

    Quoted message said:

    you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be back up to par,
    especially if you have been hiking this whole time. And, hey, well if
    weather permits and the trails are still good....happy trails to you.
    side note: have you tried trail running yet? It's the bomb!
    hunny

    I run on gravel trails but not mountain trails. Mountain trails are
    too far from where I live. I've done trai running in adventure racing.
    It doesnt seem that different from running on tame trails. I guess it
    forces you to be more alert.

    it's a damn exciting thrill ride bloody knees and all.

  12. "Al Bundy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Doug, I don't think the poor guy runs or hikes much. It's all pretty
    much a spoof to have some semblance of human contact here. Even
    negative comments are welcomed.

    We all know that taxboy is either one big troll or 50 cards short of
    full deck. In either case there are times where some good dialog comes
    from a troll which benefit others. He of course hapless, helpless and
    does not work and play well with others.

    -Doug

  13. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My hiking was no less stupid. I was hiking every second day and became
    physically and mentally exhausted from it. Didnt injure myself,
    though.

    You get an A total exhaustion and no injuries. How about having while
    doing less or easier? Nah nevermind.

    Quoted message said:

    I do this obsessive stuff to escape a [censored] reality.

    Look for [censored] and you will find turds; look for brightness and you find
    sunshine. Then again, see a shrink. They have meds to help people like
    you cope.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.