Cycling Training · Public discussion

too good for 3 not good enough for 1-2

Started by turbonium · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,479 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
25 August 2008
Last activity
25 August 2008
Original author
turbonium
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,479
Views / 30 days
13
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am currently a cat 2 racer. I am finding myself trying to survive during a cat-1-2 race instead of actually playing around and being a contender. My TT times are always in the last quintile but if I were a Cat 3 I would always be in the top 5. This is kinda discouraging. I need a boost.

  2. turbonium said:

    I am currently a cat 2 racer. I am finding myself trying to survive during a cat-1-2 race instead of actually playing around and being a contender. My TT times are always in the last quintile but if I were a Cat 3 I would always be in the top 5. This is kinda discouraging. I need a boost.


    what's wrong in being in the top 5? 😄

  3. Simone@Italy said:

    what's wrong in being in the top 5? 😄

    i was thinking of downgrading. but would i get the same benefit of trying to survive a cat1-2? I was thinking of going cat 3 and then work to get forced back into 1-2.

  4. turbonium said:

    i was thinking of downgrading. but would i get the same benefit of trying to survive a cat1-2? I was thinking of going cat 3 and then work to get forced back into 1-2.

    This is not an uncommon experience for people who have recently upgraded and it can be a little disheartening. I would recommend taking a step back and identifying what your goals are. I would be surprised if you can get an upgrade but can't find a niche where you will enjoy your racing. It does take some adjustment though. And a different attitude. Whereas I was upset if I didn't podium/win when I raced 3's I was stoked just to get in the top 10-20% in some of my p-1-2 races. (Although I was pretty disappointed when I later blew the chance for a second by messing up my hydration and overheating... but that's another story...)

    What do YOU want to do? And what do you have to do to achieve it?

    It sounds like this is a great problem for a good coach - motivation, goal identification, picking strengths and limiting weaknesses.

    Good luck.

  5. Roadie_scum said:

    I would be surprised if you can get an upgrade but can't find a niche where you will enjoy your racing.


    I would agree with that. Around here we typically have Cat 3 TT times that are competitive with the top quintile Cat 1-2 times, rather than the situation you described. Anyone who upgrades out of Cat 3 typically has no problems mixing it up in Cat 1-2 'round here.

    To the OP, how are the masters fields there? Would that be a good match for your current abilities?

  6. Welcome to the world of Cat 2. Pack fill 😉

    Seriously, get involved with an active team which races aggressively and as a team. You'll get into the action, share the cash, etc. Sometimes, everyone marks your team leader and you get to go up the road.

  7. frenchyge said:

    To the OP, how are the masters fields there? Would that be a good match for your current abilities?

    masters would be a nice place, but i am not of age lol. sometimes when i get dropped from the 1-2 race i get caught by the masters A and help them catch their breakaway (shhhh don't tell the commissars)

    ---
    my team practically flopped near mid season :s so i been racing for myself.

    I have had few good races which boosted my moral. I am thinking I should get a coach. This season is coming to a close and ill need to reflect what when well and work from there. I am still fat and i need to loose the weight over the winter, then ill be good perhaps.

  8. Without a team you really have little chance of doing well in any pro/1/2 races, unless you have incredible power numbers...
    also racing skill isn't really necessary in most 3 races, no matter what they all say after the race almost all cat 3 teams do little to the teams benefit

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.