Tom Kunich is a ass

[email protected] wrote:

> >> Oh, you mean this guy:

> >> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944

> > {snip disclosed personal information}

> aka. public information.
>
> OH? This information is readily available from the web

http://groups.google.com/group/rec...."510-351-3807"&rnum=31&hl=en#cb9476379233697d

http://groups.google.com/group/rec...."510-351-3807"&rnum=32&hl=en#f7afca984f0f6cac

"Jobst Brandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Jobst's churlish, scolding, holier-than-thou attitude has always been
>> tolerable because of seemingly endless font of bike related knowledge
>> that came with it. I always wrote off the picking on people who posted
>> anonymously as a petty obsession. Whatever Kunich has done, whether or
>> not his personal information is public domain, this strikes me as
>> entirely inappropriate. From now on, I post anonymously.

> NOT ME!!!

Yeah, apparently you like a newgroup like this. Well, it's all yours.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Jobst Brandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Jobst's churlish, scolding, holier-than-thou attitude has always
>>> been tolerable because of seemingly endless font of bike related
>>> knowledge that came with it. I always wrote off the picking on
>>> people who posted anonymously as a petty obsession. Whatever Kunich
>>> has done, whether or not his personal information is public domain,
>>> this strikes me as entirely inappropriate. From now on, I post
>>> anonymously.

>> NOT ME!!!

> Yeah, apparently you like a newgroup like this. Well, it's all yours.

That (very funny) post was by a certain Mr. Futz, not His High & Mightiness.

Bill "the fact that is WAS funny was the first clue" S.

Please move all this silly stuff over to rec.audio.marketplace where it
belongs with all the worthless prattle that lies there.

Who cares if he's an ass! Asses have to live, too!

Tom
Portland, or.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > Too bad the header got changed from ... a ass... because that was a
> > noted expression from Charles Dickens:
> >
> > http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html
> >
> > He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
> > probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
> > starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
> > discussion arose.

> [...]
>
> Jobst Brandt is quite right about this business of changing a title. We
> should never do that no matter how screwed up it is. I have complained about
> it for years and thankfully not much of that is taking place on ARBR
> anymore.

Here is a case of Jobst Brandt changing a thread title:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/7fe496e4d9d34ffd/eafc5dd1ec08ae24?q=aol+crank&rnum=1#eafc5dd1ec08ae24>.

To add some cycling content to the thread:
<http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html>.

Mr. Brandt is usually right (but not always), and unfortunately he
seems to have a dislike of recumbents due to a few run in with
over-enthusiastic "evangelists" (of a 'bent nature).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

> He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
> probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
> starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
> discussion arose.

No, changing the subject header does not change alter the
threading. The References header and In-Reply-To header
maintain integrity. A correctly written news reader is
capable of displaying the list of articles according to
the References headers. Still the user must choose to
display the available articles according to threading if
that is what he wants, and not depend upon the article
Subject headers to organize the threading. Changing the
Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press writes:

>> He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
>> probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
>> starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where
>> the discussion arose.

> No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.
> The References header and In-Reply-To header maintain integrity. A
> correctly written news reader is capable of displaying the list of
> articles according to the References headers. Still the user must
> choose to display the available articles according to threading if
> that is what he wants, and not depend upon the article Subject
> headers to organize the threading. Changing the Subject header in a
> sub-thread is permissible, even preferable, in many cases.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title and lists them only once even if
cross posted to several subscribed newsgroups. Unless the item is
separately posted to each newsgroup, it will be flagged as "read" once
it has been accessed by the user.

In this case I came across the item under separate threads.

Jobst Brandt

Quoting <[email protected]>:
>Michael Press writes:
>>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.

>Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
>that I use, keeps threads by title

No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.
Today is Second Leicesterday, December.

In article <dfq*[email protected]>,
David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Quoting <[email protected]>:
> >Michael Press writes:
> >>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.

> >Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
> >that I use, keeps threads by title

> No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
> associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.
>
> What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
> The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.

That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.
In the man page under
GLOBAL OPTIONS MENU AND TINRC CONFIGURABLE VARIABLES
is a configuration variable for sorting articles
by the References header.

Thread articles by (thread_articles)
Defines which threading method to use. It's possible to set the
threading type on a per group basis by setting the group attribute
variable thread_arts to 0 - 4 in the file ${TIN_HOME-
DIR-"$HOME"}/.tin/attributes. (See also "GROUP ATTRIBUTES".) The
default is Both Subject and References. The choices are:

0 None, don't thread.

1 Subject, thread on ''Subject:'' only.

2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.

3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
''Subject:'' (default).

4 Multipart Subject, thread multipart articles on ''Subject:''.

5 Percentage Match, thread base upon a partial character match on
''Subject:''.

--
Michael Press

David Damerell <[email protected]> writes:

> Quoting <[email protected]>:
>>Michael Press writes:
>>>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the

>threading.
>>
>>Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
>>that I use, keeps threads by title

> No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of
> articles associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.
>
> What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true
> threading. The answer is to get a newsreader which functions
> correctly.

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.

[email protected] wrote:
> Don who? writes:
>
> > By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
> > Kunich. His address is in SAN LEANDRO CA 94578 , and he lives with
> > his mother and he is not the owner of the he lives in.

> Oh, you mean this guy:
>
> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944
> 3539 Monterey Blvd
> San Leandro CA94578
> 510) 351-3807
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8rwo2

Thomas H Kunich is a free loader sec. 8 of the state of calif. ,
drunk bumb - the house in lives in is not his- without a job
sucking off the sate of calif. teat - every lying posting of
yours demonstrates that you know what a worthless
**** Thomas H Kunich you are and that, God forbid
you will be living in a cardboard in the city and this
will happen soon when i call the gov. of calif. an tell
him to cut you off of sec. 8, sic, sid and wf.

We all know by now tom you eat burgers but the burgers
you eat come out of your nose.

By all means continue your postings. Since you're so stupid,
sooner or later you're going to step over the line or there will
be some internet laws passed quietly that will end up putting
you in an asylum where you belong.

And since you've had multiple police reports filed against
Thomas H Kunich OF San Leandro CA94578 you, if so
much as a rock comes through my window you can expect
to be taken into the police station for questioning.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....580c?q="house"++"tom"&rnum=1#bed061726371580c
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....cing&q=tom&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

Michael Press:
>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
>>The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.

>That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.

Aha! I'm glad that's fixed.

> 2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.
> 3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
> ''Subject:'' (default).

So I think option 2 is the right thing here. Presumably what #3 does is to
group by Subject but use References: correctly within sets of articles
with a common Subject line, like Google Groups.
Today is Second Brieday, December.

[email protected] writes:

Yo, Johnny One-Note! We have read this drivel already. Time to get a
life and move on. At least Kunich writes more coherently than you.

On 27 Dec 2005 05:50:47 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

> Besides, he
>didn't seem to be at war with his high school English teacher,
>eschewing the **** key, and reasonable spelling and punctuation.

^^^^

I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Jasper

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:42:02 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>Changing the
>Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
>preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

Jasper

On 28 Dec 2005 17:49:27 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.

That's a funny way of spelling 'Superior'.

Jasper

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
>his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
>CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
>and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
>well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
you even noticing?

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>,
Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:42:02 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Changing the
> >Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
> >preferable, in many cases.

> When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
>>his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
>>CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
>>and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
>>well.

> Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
> mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
> you even noticing?

Not when it's Open Source Software. I'd be more leery of
[back-door goings-on in] certain proprietary applications.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.