UK and Europe · Public discussion

Todays ride (which GPS?) ...

Started by elyob · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,345 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
30 July 2005
Last activity
1 August 2005
Original author
elyob
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,345
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'll keep it brief. One argument, two near collisions with cars pulling out
    in front, one p*nct*re, no pump, friends GPS.

    Good news is that my puncture happened about 10 metres from a bike shop. I
    asked if I could buy a tube, thinking that he'd lend me a decent pump. The
    one he tried to sell me came in a box about the size of a brick. I decided
    that I might give it a miss. Got a crappy old hand pump, but better than
    nothing. Didn't have enough cash to buy a decent one. Tiny bit of glass had
    hidden itself in the rubber of the tyre. Glad I checked properly otherwise
    I'd have punctured 2 miles later....

    Rain was about, with one massive downpour when I was stood under a shop
    canopy. Phew!

    Took loads of photos of businesses for a website I'm doing. (Hence the
    stopping and cycling about lost in Croydon and Sutton etc).

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself. There's no point
    buying a bracket for his one to attach to my my handlebars if I have to
    return it soon. After using my friends Magellan GPS315 I've now got some
    requirements for one I want to buy. Rechargeable, but I guess buying
    rechargeable batteries is a decent enough compromise. Smaller than the
    Magellan ideally. Maps are not neccesary. What is missing from this current
    one (it may be the gpsu software), is the saving of bearing when saving
    trackpoints. A little annoying as I could improve the google maps website by
    putting arrows showing my route.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Nick

  2. elyob said:

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    Brilliant! Is that automated?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself.

    If I could effortlessly do what you've done there, I'd seriously
    consider it myself, too. I'd love to map the Taff Trail.

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    Fair and balanced

  3. elyob said:

    Magellan ideally. Maps are not neccesary. What is missing from this current
    one (it may be the gpsu software), is the saving of bearing when saving
    trackpoints. A little annoying as I could improve the google maps website by
    putting arrows showing my route.

    Any suggestions?

    Very few of them actually know bearing (there are a few with compass
    built in, but it's generally a very poor compass). It only knows
    bearing because it knows where the last point is and where this point
    is, so you can always work out the bearing from the tracklog as well
    as the unit could (and indeed did in the first place).

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  4. "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:


    I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself.

    [snip]

    So am I.

    There's something called a Garmin Forerunner about which there's a
    thread going in rec.bicycles.misc. The title of the thread is
    something to do with commuting, because everyone is posting beautiful
    maps of their commutes.

    As far as I can tell, you only get the pretty maps by subscribing to
    some web service, at vast monthly expense, which raises the question
    of whether the Forefunner puts out its data in some special
    proprietary format, rather than something generic. Come to that,
    what kind of plug is on the cable. And will it do maps outside the
    USA, even if one does pay a subscription

    The Forerunner is worn like a wristwatch. The expensive model is a
    combined GPS and pulse monitor, so you can correlate your pulse with
    speed and elevation gain - neat.

    Other questions I have with the Forerunner is whether it can cope
    with things like the UK national grid, and non US geoids that
    actually make the Greenwich Meridian go through the Greenwich
    Observatory.

    Jeremy Parker

  5. elyob said:

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    That is marvellous.

    Regards,

    -david

  6. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle
    was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    Brilliant! Is that automated?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself.

    If I could effortlessly do what you've done there, I'd seriously
    consider it myself, too. I'd love to map the Taff Trail.

    I used the Google API, you're happy to the source. You need a PHP enabled
    server. I'm looking at building a site so others can upload their data.
    Would you pay for it?! 🙂

  7. "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    Magellan ideally. Maps are not neccesary. What is missing from this
    current
    one (it may be the gpsu software), is the saving of bearing when saving
    trackpoints. A little annoying as I could improve the google maps
    website by
    putting arrows showing my route.

    Any suggestions?

    Very few of them actually know bearing (there are a few with compass
    built in, but it's generally a very poor compass). It only knows
    bearing because it knows where the last point is and where this point
    is, so you can always work out the bearing from the tracklog as well
    as the unit could (and indeed did in the first place).

    regards, Ian SMith

    I figured that out after I posted. If you know where you were before, then
    you can work out the direction when you hit your new point. I liked the
    Carol part of Countdown, and my maths is okay. But not rocket science maths.

    How can I work out the angle between these?

    #1 ( -0.2952833333333333 51.385083333333334 )
    #2 ( -0.2843333333333333 51.38218333333333 )

    or

    #1 ("N51°23.1050' W000°17.7170' "😉
    #2 ("N51°22.9310' W000°17.0600' "😉

    Thanks

  8. elyob said:

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle
    was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    Brilliant! Is that automated?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself.

    If I could effortlessly do what you've done there, I'd seriously
    consider it myself, too. I'd love to map the Taff Trail.

    I used the Google API, you're happy to the source. You need a PHP enabled
    server.

    PHP is not a problem. I'd be most interested.

    I was actually looking at this the other day, with the intentions of
    doing it manually, but came to the conclusion that cycling the Trail
    would be much easier than trying to come up with the way-points from the
    map.

    So, you just upload a set of waypoints?

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking at building a site so others can upload their data.

    Neat idea. Someone mentioned last year that they were doing something
    similar, but he was generating maps. I think using the Google API
    produces a much nicer experience.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you pay for it?! 🙂

    Nope. And Google wouldn't be too happy, either :-) (Check the T&Cs)

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    "Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief"

  9. "David Nutter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle
    was
    like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    That is marvellous.

    Thanks .. It's version 0.1a at the moment ... can't wait to improve it and
    also own my own GPS computer one day!

    I want to put arrows on it next. Just trying to figure the mathematice
    behind lat/long bearings. Well, not now. I'm drinking a beer and half
    watching a film.

    Also wondering where my next journey is.

    In the mean time, check out ...

    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/london.php
    and
    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/hello.php (my quick evening sprint)

  10. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "elyob" <[email hidden]> writes:

    > My friends GPS worked well. I've now got a good track of what my cycle
    > was
    > like via Google maps. Pretty cool.
    > http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/croydon.php

    Brilliant! Is that automated?

    > I'm now seriously considering a GPS system for myself.

    If I could effortlessly do what you've done there, I'd seriously
    consider it myself, too. I'd love to map the Taff Trail.

    I used the Google API, you're happy to the source. You need a PHP enabled
    server.

    PHP is not a problem. I'd be most interested.

    (email me for more info)

    Quoted message said:

    I was actually looking at this the other day, with the intentions of
    doing it manually, but came to the conclusion that cycling the Trail
    would be much easier than trying to come up with the way-points from the
    map.

    So, you just upload a set of waypoints?

    I use gpsu to get the info from the GPS, then I parse that data and get what
    I'm interested in. Trying to figure out their XML method as javascript is
    far too restrictive. I'd also like to have hover over rather than click
    pins.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking at building a site so others can upload their data.

    Neat idea. Someone mentioned last year that they were doing something
    similar, but he was generating maps. I think using the Google API
    produces a much nicer experience.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you pay for it?! 🙂

    Nope. And Google wouldn't be too happy, either :-) (Check the T&Cs)

    sshh .. I know 🙂

    It'd be a free to use site, but using adsense etc ..

  11. "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    Magellan ideally. Maps are not neccesary. What is missing from this
    current
    one (it may be the gpsu software), is the saving of bearing when saving
    trackpoints. A little annoying as I could improve the google maps
    website by
    putting arrows showing my route.

    Any suggestions?

    Very few of them actually know bearing (there are a few with compass
    built in, but it's generally a very poor compass). It only knows
    bearing because it knows where the last point is and where this point
    is, so you can always work out the bearing from the tracklog as well
    as the unit could (and indeed did in the first place).

    regards, Ian SMith

    I figured that out after I posted. If you know where you were before, then
    you can work out the direction when you hit your new point. I liked the
    Carol part of Countdown, and my maths is okay. But not rocket science
    maths.

    How can I work out the angle between these?

    #1 ( -0.2952833333333333 51.385083333333334 )
    #2 ( -0.2843333333333333 51.38218333333333 )

    or

    #1 ("N51°23.1050' W000°17.7170' "😉
    #2 ("N51°22.9310' W000°17.0600' "😉

    Thanks

    Looks like I need a maths lesson pretty sharpish ..

    http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/LatLong.html

  12. elyob said:

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    PHP is not a problem. I'd be most interested.

    (email me for more info)

    Done. (I hope that's your valid email address ;-))

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    So, you just upload a set of waypoints?

    I use gpsu to get the info from the GPS, then I parse that data and get what
    I'm interested in. Trying to figure out their XML method as javascript is
    far too restrictive. I'd also like to have hover over rather than click
    pins.

    It'd be neat if version 0.5 also allowed you to insert photos into the
    pin popup . . . 🙂

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    I have seen the enemy, and he is quite short.

  13. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    PHP is not a problem. I'd be most interested.

    (email me for more info)

    Done. (I hope that's your valid email address ;-))

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    So, you just upload a set of waypoints?

    I use gpsu to get the info from the GPS, then I parse that data and get
    what
    I'm interested in. Trying to figure out their XML method as javascript is
    far too restrictive. I'd also like to have hover over rather than click
    pins.

    It'd be neat if version 0.5 also allowed you to insert photos into the
    pin popup . . . 🙂

    Responded to your email!

    As you mention it, part of my project is to take photos. So, yes, this is
    something I'm interested in. But I think I'll use the mobile phone timestamp
    with the gps timestamp and give me a approximate location. Version 11 may
    include using bluetooth .. but I've almost finished my beer and need to get
    another. And not happy with the complexity of "The haversine formula".

    :-)

  14. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was actually looking at this the other day, with the intentions of
    doing it manually, but came to the conclusion that cycling the Trail
    would be much easier than trying to come up with the way-points from the
    map.

    So, you just upload a set of waypoints?

    Well, no .. this is just following my route. But I have been looking at
    creating waypoints using google maps. I'm hoping to create a waypoint
    creator using google maps.

    It's at version -0.1 at the moment.

    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/create.php

    But it sure looks like a possibility.

    Want to help build it? I really think the XML API is a better bet than
    javascript ..

  15. elyob said:

    It's at version -0.1 at the moment.

    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/create.php

    But it sure looks like a possibility.

    Want to help build it? I really think the XML API is a better bet than
    javascript ..

    Sure. Like I said, I was looking at the API the other week, and was
    planning on doing something with it. I've been looking out on ebay for a
    GPS device, too, but I've not seen anything that suits my
    cheapskatedness yet 🙂

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    "Everything is broken"

  16. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:

    It's at version -0.1 at the moment.

    http://fishpluschips.com/GPS/create.php

    But it sure looks like a possibility.

    Want to help build it? I really think the XML API is a better bet than
    javascript ..

    Sure. Like I said, I was looking at the API the other week, and was
    planning on doing something with it. I've been looking out on ebay for a
    GPS device, too, but I've not seen anything that suits my
    cheapskatedness yet 🙂

    I'm not far off figuring up the upload stuff. Just working on prettying up
    the download stuff. However I still also need to read the GPS manual to
    figure out what the machine can do! From what I can tell, it's pretty funky
    and I'm on the hunt for a GPS bracket for my handlebars.

    The most important thing I learnt today was that GPS allows me to take
    completely different (new) routes rather than stick to what my ex-"car
    owning brain" tells me.

    Ebay reckons you can pick up a GPS315 for about £50. That's a good price for
    what it does. (i.e. gives me more of an instinct to hunt new routes .. if I
    don't like a min road I can now turn off and just follow a new, made up,
    route.)

    The create google maps thing is pretty close to cracking the nut. I won't be
    working on it tonight, and am thinking of getting up early tomorrow and
    getting a train to Southampton and trialling my GPS there tomorrow. The
    weather looks fair tomorrow. That's my last beer for tonight though, and I'm
    yawning. Goodnight!

  17. elyob said:


    "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Very few of them actually know bearing (there are a few with compass
    built in, but it's generally a very poor compass). It only knows
    bearing because it knows where the last point is and where this point
    is, so you can always work out the bearing from the tracklog as well
    as the unit could (and indeed did in the first place).

    I figured that out after I posted. If you know where you were before, then
    you can work out the direction when you hit your new point. I liked the
    Carol part of Countdown, and my maths is okay. But not rocket science maths.

    How can I work out the angle between these?

    #1 ( -0.2952833333333333 51.385083333333334 )
    #2 ( -0.2843333333333333 51.38218333333333 )

    or

    #1 ("N5123.1050' W00017.7170' "😉
    #2 ("N5122.9310' W00017.0600' "😉

    OK, whistle-stop tour. Bear in mind this is my understanding as
    'interested amateur' rather than actual professional expert. The
    difficult part is going from GPS lat-long (which is based on WGS84
    datum) to a flat paper map grid (which, if OS, is based on OSGB36
    datum).

    It can't be done precisely, but there are about 3 levels of 'close
    enough' that can be done.

    It can't be done precisely because the grid system you're wanting the
    bearing in does not consistently mathematically map onto any lat-long
    system, because of the way it is defined. This is the consequence of
    historical differences in surveys.

    You can pay the OS lots of cash and get a very complicated transform
    that will give you millimetre accuracy. This is called OSTN97 and
    something else I forget. You don't want it.

    You can use a 6-parameter iterative calculation that will give you
    metre accuracy transformation between the lat-long spewed by the GPS
    to lat-long used by OS, and can then transform that by transverse
    mercator to a theoretical grid. This will give you metre accuracy.
    This is what I used in my program for the Psion 5mx which you can find
    at http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/GPSion5/ . You probably don't
    want this either for your application.

    You can pretend the earth is a sphere, and ignore any spherical
    geometry effects, thus avoiding the need for eg transverse mercator.
    For simply slapping an arrow on a map, you probably want this one.

    If your data is in magellan standard format '5123.1050' means 51
    degrees 23.1050 minutes.

    Note that 1 degree of latitude is the same length (on our spherical
    earth) everywhere on the surface, so we just note that from #1 to #2
    you went 22.9310-23.1050 = -0.174 minutes north.

    1 degree of longitude varies in length depending on your latitude.
    At latitude 'x', 1 degree longitude is cos(x) times as long as at the
    equator. You travelled 17.0600-17.7170 = -0.656 minutes west, or
    0.656 minutes east. But, because you did so at 51.383 degrees north
    that's only as far over the ground as 0.656 x cos(51.383) = 0.656 x
    0.624 = 0.409 minutes east at the equator.

    One minute of latitude, or one minute of equatorial longitude, is 1
    nautical mile (which is handy). So, you went -0.174 n.mile north,
    and 0.409 n.mile east. By simple trig, that means a bearing of
    90+asin(0.174/0.409) = 115 degrees. This will be closeish, as long as
    your two points are fairly close together (less than a degree will be
    fine, I think).

    Note that the lat/long used by OS is up to a few hundred metres away
    from the lat/long used by GPS, but that doesn't much upset this calc.
    Also, the world is not spherical, as assumed here. Also, having
    assumed it's spherical to get the distances over the ground, I've
    immediately assumed it's flat to get the bearing.

    If you want to do any of this seriously you really need the iterative
    calc referred to above (it's a 'helmert transformation'😉 and then do
    transverse mercator projection properly. If that interests you, I'd
    recommend obtaining (it used to be a free download) 'a guide to
    coordinate systems in Great Britain' from the OS. It's a 40 page
    booklet that describes all about datums, transforms and so on, and
    includes a worked example of the 'proper' helmert and TM
    transformations to go from GPS values to OS grid values. It's quite
    interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  18. elyob said:


    Ebay reckons you can pick up a GPS315 for about 50. That's a good price for
    what it does. (i.e. gives me more of an instinct to hunt new routes .. if I
    don't like a min road I can now turn off and just follow a new, made up,
    route.)

    I use a 315. It's a good basic unit, in my opinion.

    Magellan used to have a document "Data Transmission Protocol
    Specification for Magellan Products" on their web site. Unfortunately
    it had disappeared last time I looked, and it never described the 'high
    speed protocol' anyway.

    If you get into programming the transmission yourself, bear in mind
    the protocol varies across units - the 315 protocol includes for 6
    character waypoint names, but some units use 8 characters, that sort
    of thing.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  19. "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    elyob said:


    Ebay reckons you can pick up a GPS315 for about 50. That's a good price
    for
    what it does. (i.e. gives me more of an instinct to hunt new routes ..
    if I
    don't like a min road I can now turn off and just follow a new, made up,
    route.)

    I use a 315. It's a good basic unit, in my opinion.

    Magellan used to have a document "Data Transmission Protocol
    Specification for Magellan Products" on their web site. Unfortunately
    it had disappeared last time I looked, and it never described the 'high
    speed protocol' anyway.

    If you get into programming the transmission yourself, bear in mind
    the protocol varies across units - the 315 protocol includes for 6
    character waypoint names, but some units use 8 characters, that sort
    of thing.

    My head hurts ....

    Thanks .. am trying this out and am writing a script to do the hard work!

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, elyob

    (') said:


    "Ian Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:21:13 +0100, elyob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Magellan ideally. Maps are not neccesary. What is missing from this
    current
    one (it may be the gpsu software), is the saving of bearing when
    saving trackpoints. A little annoying as I could improve the google
    maps
    website by
    putting arrows showing my route.

    Any suggestions?

    Very few of them actually know bearing (there are a few with compass
    built in, but it's generally a very poor compass). It only knows
    bearing because it knows where the last point is and where this point
    is, so you can always work out the bearing from the tracklog as well
    as the unit could (and indeed did in the first place).

    regards, Ian SMith

    I figured that out after I posted. If you know where you were before,
    then you can work out the direction when you hit your new point. I
    liked the Carol part of Countdown, and my maths is okay. But not rocket
    science maths.

    How can I work out the angle between these?

    #1 ( -0.2952833333333333 51.385083333333334 )
    #2 ( -0.2843333333333333 51.38218333333333 )

    You think you've got problems? I've got a lot of data in OSGrid format
    that needs to be plotted onto Google maps, to I have to do the
    conversion to latitude/longitude. So I've got to recast this lot
    <URL:http://www.gps.gov.uk/guideB.pdf> into Java. The really frustrating
    thing is that at one point I had it working, and I've reintroduced a
    bug. I /think/ I've got the working version in the CVS... I really hope
    so. But I'm having to go back through a lot of changes to check.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.