UK and Europe · Public discussion

Today, my bike broke

Started by Arthur Clune · · Last activity · 13 posts · 424 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 January 2006
Last activity
22 January 2006
Original author
Arthur Clune
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
424
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got up, went to get the bike out to join the club run.

    Wheeled bike outside and heard the unhappy side of the rear
    wheel rubbing against the frame. Some investigations revealed
    not a broken spoke as I'd thought but a sheared hub flange!

    The odd thing is that I last rode that bike on Tuesday and
    had no problems, yet I can see no flange sized bits of metal
    where the bike is stored. Odd.

    Still, I had a spare wheel so after so faffing with tyres
    and cassettes, I still got a two hour ride in so the day
    wasn't lost.

    One new Centaur hub now on order 😉 Given that I got five
    years hard use out of the Chorus one that has just died,
    Campag still gets the gig.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  2. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    One new Centaur hub now on order 😉 Given that I got five
    years hard use out of the Chorus one that has just died,
    Campag still gets the gig.

    I've just discovered that the rear hub on my Trek 1400 that is only 2 months
    old is shot already, it has loads of sideways play and the bearings are
    noisy. Like the woeful Gipiemme T-Quattro wheels that I binned a couple of
    years ago. The Campag Scirocco wheels I replaced them with were brilliant -
    stayed perfectly true right up until they got nicked.

    So now this Bontrager hub will need replacing by the looks of it, still the
    summer bike got an airing today as the roads were dry - lovely Mavic
    hubs -so far.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. Simon Mason said:


    I've just discovered that the rear hub on my Trek 1400 that is only 2 months
    old is shot already, it has loads of sideways play and the bearings are
    noisy.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    So now this Bontrager hub will need replacing by the looks of it

    What's wrong with just giving it a service?

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  4. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:


    I've just discovered that the rear hub on my Trek 1400 that is only 2
    months old is shot already, it has loads of sideways play and the
    bearings are noisy.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    So now this Bontrager hub will need replacing by the looks of it

    What's wrong with just giving it a service?

    It should be under warranty I suppose, but when I hawked the Gipiemme wheel
    around half a dozen LBSs, the local wheel specialist adjusted it until there
    was no play, which lasted all of 2 weeks when it developed loads of play
    again. The bearings sounded like a cement mixer, so I was so fed up with it
    that I binned it altogether. I suppose I'll have the same palaver with this
    Bontrager hub as these bearings are sounding rough.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  5. Simon Mason said:

    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:

    I've just discovered that the rear hub on my Trek 1400 that is only 2
    months old is shot already, it has loads of sideways play and the
    bearings are noisy.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    So now this Bontrager hub will need replacing by the looks of it


    What's wrong with just giving it a service?

    It should be under warranty I suppose, but when I hawked the Gipiemme wheel
    around half a dozen LBSs, the local wheel specialist adjusted it until there
    was no play, which lasted all of 2 weeks when it developed loads of play
    again. The bearings sounded like a cement mixer, so I was so fed up with it
    that I binned it altogether. I suppose I'll have the same palaver with this
    Bontrager hub as these bearings are sounding rough.

    What's wrong with DIY?

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:

    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > I've just discovered that the rear hub on my Trek 1400 that is only 2
    > months old is shot already, it has loads of sideways play and the
    > bearings are noisy.
    <snip>
    > So now this Bontrager hub will need replacing by the looks of it
    What's wrong with just giving it a service?

    It should be under warranty I suppose, but when I hawked the Gipiemme
    wheel around half a dozen LBSs, the local wheel specialist adjusted it
    until there was no play, which lasted all of 2 weeks when it developed
    loads of play again. The bearings sounded like a cement mixer, so I was
    so fed up with it that I binned it altogether. I suppose I'll have the
    same palaver with this Bontrager hub as these bearings are sounding
    rough.

    What's wrong with DIY?

    Well, if the local wheel specialist can't fix hubs what chance have I got?

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  7. Simon Mason said:


    Quoted message said:

    What's wrong with DIY?

    Well, if the local wheel specialist can't fix hubs what chance have I got?

    Quite good IME

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. Arthur Clune said:

    Got up, went to get the bike out to join the club run.

    Wheeled bike outside and heard the unhappy side of the rear
    wheel rubbing against the frame. Some investigations revealed
    not a broken spoke as I'd thought but a sheared hub flange!

    The odd thing is that I last rode that bike on Tuesday and
    had no problems, yet I can see no flange sized bits of metal
    where the bike is stored. Odd.


    Any weird spoking patterns? I know the LBS ( who were M. Steel in Gosforth
    - lucky me! ) wouldn't guarantee the radially spoked front wheel they
    built on Chorus for me. Mind you it's still going strong 15 years later!

    They don't make 'em like they used to (:

    Steve

  9. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Well, if the local wheel specialist can't fix hubs what chance have I got?

    He probably means he can't do it cost effectively. As a business his time is
    worth what? 25 to 45 pounds an hour? what's yours worth on a day off? He
    would also be obliged (or should be) to offer some kind of warranty.
    --
    Pete
    http:[email hidden]/Stuff

  10. Hm, I had a Campag rear hub flange go a while back. The LBS replaced it but
    told me it was because I'd overtightened the spokes. Seems unlikely, since
    I'd done had to do one minor truing adjustment since collecting it from them
    a couple of weeks previously. And could you really knacker a hub flange that
    way?

    Alan

    "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got up, went to get the bike out to join the club run.

    Wheeled bike outside and heard the unhappy side of the rear
    wheel rubbing against the frame. Some investigations revealed
    not a broken spoke as I'd thought but a sheared hub flange!

    The odd thing is that I last rode that bike on Tuesday and
    had no problems, yet I can see no flange sized bits of metal
    where the bike is stored. Odd.

    Still, I had a spare wheel so after so faffing with tyres
    and cassettes, I still got a two hour ride in so the day
    wasn't lost.

    One new Centaur hub now on order 😉 Given that I got five
    years hard use out of the Chorus one that has just died,
    Campag still gets the gig.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  11. Steve said:
    Quoted message said:


    Any weird spoking patterns? I know the LBS ( who were M. Steel in Gosforth
    - lucky me! ) wouldn't guarantee the radially spoked front wheel they
    built on Chorus for me. Mind you it's still going strong 15 years later!

    Just plain 32 sploke, 3x. Nothing fancy, but they were a nice pair of wheels

    --
    Arthur Clune

  12. Alan Moffatt said:

    Hm, I had a Campag rear hub flange go a while back. The LBS replaced it but
    told me it was because I'd overtightened the spokes. Seems unlikely, since
    I'd done had to do one minor truing adjustment since collecting it from them
    a couple of weeks previously. And could you really knacker a hub flange that
    way?

    Since the spokes put the flange under (a lot) of tension I can see that yes,
    you could knacker a hub that way. These wheels weren't over tensioned though

    --
    Arthur Clune

  13. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Got up, went to get the bike out to join the club run.

    Wheeled bike outside and heard the unhappy side of the rear
    wheel rubbing against the frame. Some investigations revealed
    not a broken spoke as I'd thought but a sheared hub flange!

    Obvious, innit... you need a complete new bike ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.