Road Cycling · Public discussion

today must be Massive Bike Failure Day

Started by Ben Pfaff · · Last activity · 4 posts · 540 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 June 2007
Last activity
28 June 2007
Original author
Ben Pfaff
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
540
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On my way home, a few hundred yards from the office, I managed to
    get my shoelace stuck in the chain. Somehow it managed to rip
    the front derailer out of position. I was able to limp to the
    side of the road and cut my shoelace off, then lift up the chain
    and get the remaining piece out of the chain, then bend the
    derailer by hand until it was functional again.

    Then, a mile or two from home, I lost a pedal. I coasted to the
    side of the road, waited for the line of cars to go by, and
    retrieved the pedal. At this point I realized that the pedal
    hadn't fallen off; rather, the threaded part of the crank had
    split. I had to make it the rest of the way home pedaling with
    my left foot and using the right foot to kick the remaining part
    of the crank over to start the next stroke. Challenging, but not
    exactly fun.

    I'm glad that I have a new bike on order. I'm expecting it to be
    delivered tomorrow.

    --
    "If a person keeps faithfully busy each hour of the working day, he
    can count on waking up some morning to find himself one of the
    competent ones of his generation."
    --William James

  2. "Ben Pfaff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On my way home, a few hundred yards from the office, I managed to
    get my shoelace stuck in the chain. Somehow it managed to rip
    the front derailer out of position. I was able to limp to the
    side of the road and cut my shoelace off, then lift up the chain
    and get the remaining piece out of the chain, then bend the
    derailer by hand until it was functional again.

    Then, a mile or two from home, I lost a pedal. I coasted to the
    side of the road, waited for the line of cars to go by, and
    retrieved the pedal. At this point I realized that the pedal
    hadn't fallen off; rather, the threaded part of the crank had
    split. I had to make it the rest of the way home pedaling with
    my left foot and using the right foot to kick the remaining part
    of the crank over to start the next stroke. Challenging, but not
    exactly fun.

    I'm glad that I have a new bike on order. I'm expecting it to be
    delivered tomorrow.

    --
    "If a person keeps faithfully busy each hour of the working day, he
    can count on waking up some morning to find himself one of the
    competent ones of his generation."
    --William James

    Ha! I'm ahead of the curve...my #3 chainring tore apart *two* days ago!

    Happened just as I was beginning the daily grind up the Alex Fraser bridge.
    I hate that.

    B.

  3. Ben Pfaff said:

    On my way home, a few hundred yards from the office, I managed to
    get my shoelace stuck in the chain. Somehow it managed to rip the
    front derailer out of position. I was able to limp to the side of
    the road and cut my shoelace off, then lift up the chain and get the
    remaining piece out of the chain, then bend the derailer by hand
    until it was functional again.

    Quoted message said:

    Then, a mile or two from home, I lost a pedal. I coasted to the
    side of the road, waited for the line of cars to go by, and
    retrieved the pedal. At this point I realized that the pedal hadn't
    fallen off; rather, the threaded part of the crank had split. I had
    to make it the rest of the way home pedaling with my left foot and
    using the right foot to kick the remaining part of the crank over to
    start the next stroke. Challenging, but not exactly fun.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm glad that I have a new bike on order. I'm expecting it to be
    delivered tomorrow.

    You are not safe from another crank failure, but it is good to hear
    others admitting that this occurs. Most people are intimidated into
    silence by accusations that the bicycle was improperly used. I heard
    lots of that over those years that I had at least one crank failure
    per year. I broke more than two dozen cranks that way before I said
    ENOUGH!

    Consider that left cranks have left hand threads so they won't unscrew
    and fall off. Consider that tightened as tight as practical, tandems
    that do not use tandem cranks (threading on the left front and rear
    cranks (that carry the transfer chain [on right hand cranks]) unscrew.

    Somehow this interface that violates a basic mechanical design rule is
    not recognized in the bicycle industry for what it is, a joint asking
    to fail. Cars used to have left hand threads on left wheels for the
    same reason. "Do not center loads on threads!" Today lug nuts have
    conical faces and lock into place securely. No more left hand threads
    on passenger cars.

    I modified my cranks to have a conical seat for a conical shoulder on
    the pedal shaft. Because I must use existing pedals, I emulated the
    conical shoulder with a split conical adapter that is pressed securely
    into the thread relief of the pedal shaft by the taper. Formerly I
    inspected both cranks with a loupe under bright light before every
    longer ride (finding cracks on occasion). Today I no longer do that
    and have not had a failure since I modified the cranks more than ten
    years ago.

    If you don't believe your pedals are moving, just look at the face of
    the crank when the pedal is removed. The erosion you see is fretting
    damage caused by movement and this movement generates crack both on
    the crank face and in the threads.

    I cannot interest anyone in the bicycle component business with this
    modification, because as Carl Fogel says, "just because Jobst said so
    is not proof that it occurs".

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/bikes/brandt-cranks.jpg
    http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-016.html

    Others have had their cranks modified after such a failure, but what
    do they know.

    Jobst Brandt

  4. it's mercury.... the planet that governs transportation is now in
    retrograde...beware!!!!

    Brian said:

    "Ben Pfaff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On my way home, a few hundred yards from the office, I managed to
    get my shoelace stuck in the chain. Somehow it managed to rip
    the front derailer out of position. I was able to limp to the
    side of the road and cut my shoelace off, then lift up the chain
    and get the remaining piece out of the chain, then bend the
    derailer by hand until it was functional again.

    Then, a mile or two from home, I lost a pedal. I coasted to the
    side of the road, waited for the line of cars to go by, and
    retrieved the pedal. At this point I realized that the pedal
    hadn't fallen off; rather, the threaded part of the crank had
    split. I had to make it the rest of the way home pedaling with
    my left foot and using the right foot to kick the remaining part
    of the crank over to start the next stroke. Challenging, but not
    exactly fun.

    I'm glad that I have a new bike on order. I'm expecting it to be
    delivered tomorrow.

    --
    "If a person keeps faithfully busy each hour of the working day, he
    can count on waking up some morning to find himself one of the
    competent ones of his generation."
    --William James

    Ha! I'm ahead of the curve...my #3 chainring tore apart *two* days ago!

    Happened just as I was beginning the daily grind up the Alex Fraser bridge.
    I hate that.

    B.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.