UK and Europe · Public discussion

To lube new brake/gear cables?

Started by JackGuest-com · · Last activity · 6 posts · 438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
9 June 2004
Last activity
10 June 2004
Original author
JackGuest-com
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
438
Views / 30 days
1
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all

    I've recently put a new gear cable onto my bike (detailed in previou
    posts) and I'm currently putting a new rear brake cable on too

    My question is whether/how to lube these new cables

    I lubed the inner cables (shot down the hole) when I fitted the gea
    cable and also lubed the outer cable using a thick 'cycle grease wit
    teflon' (red stuff from halfords) - I basically just applied a thin coa
    using my fingers

    What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc hav
    stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube

    So, should I lube the outter cable of my new back brake cable in th
    same way or not

    Many thanks

    Jac

    -

  2. JackGuest-com said:

    Hi all,

    I've recently put a new gear cable onto my bike (detailed in previous
    posts) and I'm currently putting a new rear brake cable on too.

    My question is whether/how to lube these new cables.

    I lubed the inner cables (shot down the hole) when I fitted the gear
    cable and also lubed the outer cable using a thick 'cycle grease with
    teflon' (red stuff from halfords) - I basically just applied a thin coat
    using my fingers.

    What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc have
    stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube.

    So, should I lube the outter cable of my new back brake cable in the
    same way or not?

    Depends what make they are. Modern cables such as Shimano's have a
    plastic liner and should not be lubricated. However, if the cable
    housing has no liner, grease the inner cable thoroughly.

  3. Thick grease can /add/ friction. Better to either use no lube (for lined
    or prelubed cables) or apply light oil to inner.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs said:

    Thick grease can /add/ friction. Better to either use no lube (for lined
    or prelubed cables) or apply light oil to inner.

    ~PB

    what kind of light oil would you recommend? Something like GT85?

  5. David Waters said:

    what kind of light oil would you recommend? Something like GT85?

    I use stuff that comes in a non-aerosol can labelled "light oil". I don't
    know if GT85 is adequate or not.

    ~PB

  6. JackGuest-com said:

    Hi all,

    What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc
    have stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube.

    Does this mean you put grease on the outside of the cable cover?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.