General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tips for my 1st LC baking attempt

Started by Dropped 21 · · Last activity · 7 posts · 329 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 October 2004
Last activity
13 October 2004
Original author
Dropped 21
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda just for
    baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I will use the
    philly recipe I guess.

    Any helpful hints?

  2. Dropped 21 wrote:
    || I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda
    || just for baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I
    || will use the philly recipe I guess.
    ||
    || Any helpful hints?

    Myra's recipe below. Google for variations. You can use liquid splenda too,
    if you have some, for lower carb count. You can buy bulk splenda in a box,
    but I don't remember the equivalence with packet splenda. You can google
    for that too. You probably ought to sweeten to taste anyway.

    http://sweetzfree.com/

    MYRA'S NEW YORK-STYLE CHEESECAKE

    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds OR other nuts
    Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

    Topping:
    2 cups sour cream (16 oz. container)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar

    Filling:
    3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
    Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla

    In a bowl, combine the almonds, 1 tablespoon sweetener and melted butter
    until combined. Press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill in
    the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

    In a bowl, mix the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon
    sweetener until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

    In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup sweetener until fluffy.
    Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Blend in
    the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.

    Pour the cream cheese mixture into the springform pan, and bake at 350
    degree for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge
    and center comes clean. With a spatula, spread the sour cream mixture
    over the top, making sure you reach to the edges of the pan. Return cake
    to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.

    Remove cake from oven, allow to cool to room temperature (cake will
    settle in the pan). Slide a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen
    it, then remove the springform ring. Keep chilled in the refrigerator.

    Makes 16 servings, about 5 grams of carbs per serving if made with
    almonds

  3. "Dropped 21" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda just for
    baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I will use the
    philly recipe I guess.

    Any helpful hints?

    you can buy 'granular' splenda. 9.7 oz. costs about $6 in Minnesota. it
    measures cup for cup like sugar and is "great" (their words off the package)
    for cooking and baking. It looks like cocaine to me. I use the packets for
    most things but the bulk for baking. which I havent' done for a long time. I
    think it's time to make an almond pound cake.

    --
    Lori
    220/155/144
    LC since 1/17/03
    Devoted wife of Curtis, Stage 4 Prostate cancer at age 40
    http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

  4. "Dropped 21" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda just for
    baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I will use the
    philly recipe I guess.

    Any helpful hints?

    A couple. Myra's recipe is awesome. I've always found that mixing sweeteners
    in a recipe gives the most natural "real sugar" flavor, so I'll usually use
    a bit of stevia plus some saccharine and finally some Splenda. You kind of
    have to taste the batter to get it to the right sweetness. Never use too
    much stevia, though, as that will give it a weird taste. And if you plan to
    serve it to others, don't use saccharine... a certain percentage of the
    population will get a bitter aftertaste with it.

    As to the crust, you can use any type of nuts. The almonds are good, but my
    favorite has always been an equal mixture of ground flax seeds and pecans,
    with a little artificial sweetener, a pinch of cinnamon, and some melted
    butter. It will be darker, like a real graham cracker crust, but it won't
    get soggy and I think it tastes even better. I've seen people use
    macadamias, too.

    Good luck! A good LC cheesecake is such a lovely thing when you've been
    low-carbing for a while.

    HG

  5. Your crust sounds great. Can you post the recipe for us anal types that
    need to measure everything? ;-)

    Hannah Gruen said:

    As to the crust, you can use any type of nuts. The almonds are good, but my
    favorite has always been an equal mixture of ground flax seeds and pecans,
    with a little artificial sweetener, a pinch of cinnamon, and some melted
    butter. It will be darker, like a real graham cracker crust, but it won't
    get soggy and I think it tastes even better. I've seen people use
    macadamias, too.

    -----
    Bev

  6. "Dropped 21" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda just
    for baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I will
    use the philly recipe I guess.

    Any helpful hints?

    You can use the bulk granular Splenda. One thing you might want to try,
    though, is to put in less than the recipe calls for and then adjust to
    taste for sweetness. I found that the bulk Splenda (whether subbed for
    sugar in traditional recipes, or in recipes specifically designed for
    Splenda) made things WAY too sweet for me. I can use one-half to two-
    thirds the amount called for - it tastes better to me and I save a few
    carbs, too.

    And some people like it more sweet and put in more than the recipe calls
    for. So it's a YMMV thing.

    Dee

  7. Dropped 21 said:

    I am going to go for it and bake a cheesecake. Is there a Splenda just


    for

    Quoted message said:

    baking? Or do you use those little single serve packets? I will use the
    philly recipe I guess.

    Any helpful hints?

    I saw a bag of Splenda at teh grocery labeled 'for baking'.

    Iirc some of the 'sugar alcohols' have the right amount of sweetness/bulk
    for baking also. I've seen xylitol at the health food store in near-pint
    quantities. (Good for teeth iirc.) It tasted very like real sugar tho I
    haven't baked with it. (Splenda, Equal, all those things spike me, and so
    did the xylitol. I think for me it's a Pavolvian relfex from the taste, or
    something. 'Cephalic'?). Bulk stevia white powder would NOT work for
    baking, it's much too strong, unless someone has put some filler in their
    brand.

    Skinny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.