maxine in ri said:There's one particular (very small) chain of Lambert's restaurants
(cafes?) that is known for throwing their dinner rolls to their diners
-- http://www.throwedrolls.com/ -- which is not exactly a good example
of upscale "fine" dining <g>. Never been there personally, but when I
see/hear the word "Lambert's," that's what I reminded of 😉 Perhaps
it's a regional 'suh-thun' (southern) fad/thing?
I went to one of _those_ Lambert's restaurants last summer while
visiting a friend who lives in western Missouri. There's nothing
about the place that's upscale. :-) The place reminded me of a
Cracker Barrel restaurant, except that it had a line to get in and
better food.
The food is pretty much the typical fried chicken/fried
fish/burgers/ham. Soft drinks are served in cups that make a Big
Gulp look like a demitasse. Then, while you're eating, they come
around with _more_ -- big bowls of potatoes or mac-n-cheese ladled
out as you please. And then there are the rolls.
The rolls come out on a wheeled cart that looks specially-built for
carrying several pans of rolls. Want one? Shout out and they toss
one to you. Drop it and they'll throw you another -- if there are
any left from that pass, since they go pretty quick.
Fortunately utensils and butter are not delivered that same way. :-)
If I'm in that neighborhood again, I'd probably see if we could drag
some newbies to the place. It's an experience -- certainly more
memorable than yet another Denny's/Big Boy/Bob Evans.
sd