Road Cycling · Public discussion

thoughts on the season's winding down

Started by Hunrobe · · Last activity · 26 posts · 804 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 October 2004
Last activity
17 October 2004
Original author
Hunrobe
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
804
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts. Time to take
    stock:
    Negatives-
    I didn't do even one official century this year.
    I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being over 10,000
    riders.
    I didn't ride as much as I would have liked and so never really hit my peak.
    Positives-
    I rode almost every chance I got.
    The charity ride I help organize every year was virtually glitchfree.
    I didn't fall even once- no road rash, no ripped jersey.
    I got that Record carbon crankset I'd been lusting after.
    My inseam still exceeds my waist.
    Next season is closer today than it was yesterday.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  2. Quoted message said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among
    us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts. Time to
    take
    stock:
    Negatives-
    I didn't do even one official century this year.

    But you did get in some "unofficial" long rides? I'd say that counts at
    least as much.

    Quoted message said:

    I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being over
    10,000
    riders.

    10,000 riders is quite a threshold. Yikes, biggest ride I ever did was
    "only" with 7,500, and that seemed like way too many.

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't ride as much as I would have liked and so never really hit my
    peak.
    Positives-
    I rode almost every chance I got.
    The charity ride I help organize every year was virtually glitchfree.
    I didn't fall even once- no road rash, no ripped jersey.
    I got that Record carbon crankset I'd been lusting after.
    My inseam still exceeds my waist.
    Next season is closer today than it was yesterday.

    Doesn't sound like such a bad year!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. Hunrobe wrote:
    :: The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists
    :: among us) *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly
    :: hereabouts. Time to take stock:
    :: Negatives-
    :: I didn't do even one official century this year.

    Still time...at here 🙂

    :: I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being
    :: over 10,000 riders.

    Damn.....10,000 riders? Why do such a ride? Where does one find such?

    :: I didn't ride as much as I would have liked and so never really hit
    :: my peak.

    yeah...work gets in the way

    Positives-
    :: I rode almost every chance I got.
    :: The charity ride I help organize every year was virtually glitchfree.

    Thank you very much! You and those like you make it better for me and those
    like me 🙂

    :: I didn't fall even once- no road rash, no ripped jersey.

    [censored]. I had my fourth fall this season yesterday. Unexpected.

    :: I got that Record carbon crankset I'd been lusting after.
    :: My inseam still exceeds my waist.
    :: Next season is closer today than it was yesterday.

    What goals do you have for next season?

  4. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hunrobe wrote:
    :: I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being
    :: over 10,000 riders.

    Damn.....10,000 riders? Why do such a ride? Where does one find such?

    Just set up a charity ride between the 4th and 16th largest cities...
    http://www.ms150.org/ms150/ And its fun too!

    -Scott

  5. Scott Ehardt wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email hidden]...
    ::: Hunrobe wrote:
    ::::: I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being
    ::::: over 10,000 riders.
    :::
    ::: Damn.....10,000 riders? Why do such a ride? Where does one find
    ::: such?
    ::
    :: Just set up a charity ride between the 4th and 16th largest cities...
    :: http://www.ms150.org/ms150/ And its fun too!
    ::

    Oh....I've heard of these....I just didn't realize they drew in 10,000+
    riders! Cool. I'll plan on doing one in the future.

  6. Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" [email hidden]

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    Damn.....10,000 riders? Why do such a ride? Where does one find such?

    ---snip---

    There are at least two rides in Chicago that always exceed 10,000 riders- Bike
    The Drive and the L.A.T.E. Ride. For the "Bike The Drive" ride the city closes
    the northbound lanes of Lakeshore Drive from 59th Street to Howard Avenue, a
    roughly 25 mile roundtrip that begins and ends at Buckingham Fountain. Last
    year, there were four waves of riders totaling just under 15,000 even though
    the organizers claimed ahead of time that they would be limiting the number to
    12,500. The L.A.T.E. ride doesn't draw quite as many riders because it *starts*
    at midnight and goes to dawn. That ride takes you through the Loop and
    neighborhoods. I always get a kick out of the occasional poster here that
    complains about dense traffic. They should try riding up Rush Street when the
    bars are closing. <g>
    Anyone visiting Chicago in the summer should consider these two and/or the
    Boulevard Lakefront Tour. A google search will point you to registration
    websites. Chicago also hosts a World Cup cyclocross event, the US Pro Crits are
    held every year in suburban Downers Grove, and there are a lot of local club
    rides so all in all it's a good cycling locale. Now if only we could import a
    few mountains.... <g>

    Quoted message said:

    What goals do you have for next season?

    I intentionally don't set any goals for myself beyond, "Ride more. Go faster.
    Don't fall if you are wearing a new or favorite jersey." Riding is too much fun
    to spoil it with goals. :-)

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  7. "Hunrobe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Now if only we could import a
    few mountains.... <g>

    I was born and raised (carless) in Chicago, but my visit in mid-September
    was my first return in more than 30 years. It was an absolute delight to
    revisit my childhood and teenage haunts from the same perspective (a bike) I
    had on them originally. I rode all over the North and Near North Sides,
    Ravenswood, Old Town, the Loop (including Millenium Park and the new bike
    facility there) and the lakefront, and came away convinced that Chicago is
    simply a great city for cyclists.

    It isn't just the infrastructure, advanced though it is; it's the drivers. I
    never felt as threatened in two weeks riding the streets of Chicago as I do
    on any one given day in Philadelphia. Chicago drivers expect and respect
    cyclists -- and follow at least the spirit of basic traffic laws like speed
    limits and red lights -- to a degree that's astonishing to a Philadelphian.

    As for your damn mountains, you can have mine. <g> I took a ride from Skokie
    to Woodstock, out the "Grand Illinois Trail," that was so flat I felt like I
    could have ridden forever. I don't know whether I hate climbing because I'm
    so bad at it, or the reverse -- or if living the first 18 years of my life
    in Chicago ruined me for climbing forever -- but now the idea of living
    where it's flat seems like a minor version of heaven. And don't tell me
    about wind -- while I was cruising around those cycling superhighways they
    call "bike trails" in Chicago, back here in Philly they were having 50-mph
    hurricane leftovers.

    RichC

  8. [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts.

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end. I have not
    been much of a *transportation* cyclist for the past couple of years
    (< 1 mile on the commute, easier to walk) but still do year-round
    recreational rides.

    Quoted message said:

    Time to take
    stock:
    Negatives-
    I didn't do even one official century this year.
    I missed all but one of the major rides in the area, major being over 10,000
    riders.

    10,000 riders is monstrous; I avoid the Solvang Century each year
    because its 6000 or so riders it way too many IMO. I prefer the
    smaller events, 100-1500 or so riders, so I see missing massive events
    as a positive ... just an alternative view.

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't ride as much as I would have liked and so never really hit my peak.
    Positives-
    I rode almost every chance I got.
    The charity ride I help organize every year was virtually glitchfree.
    I didn't fall even once- no road rash, no ripped jersey.
    I got that Record carbon crankset I'd been lusting after.
    My inseam still exceeds my waist.

    Much easier if you have long legs. Those of us with short legs have
    more of an issue with this :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Next season is closer today than it was yesterday.

    Only difference for me is the amount of wet. Time to get the fenders
    back on all the bikes.

    - rick

  9. "Rick Warner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    My inseam still exceeds my waist.

    Much easier if you have long legs. Those of us with short legs have
    more of an issue with this :-)

    Yeah, really. Thinking about it, it's likely my waist has *always* been
    larger than my inseam, and that I would have to be dead for it to be
    otherwise.

    RichC

  10. http://www.hillyhundred.org is this month near Bloomington IN. 5,000 +
    riders, 50 miles Sat, 50 miles Sun. They also do NITE (Navigate
    Indianapolis This Evening) ride a Saturday in late July at the velodrome
    that has 3,000.

    Hunrobe said:


    Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" [email hidden]

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    Damn.....10,000 riders? Why do such a ride? Where does one find such?

    ---snip---

    There are at least two rides in Chicago that always exceed 10,000 riders- Bike
    The Drive and the L.A.T.E. Ride. For the "Bike The Drive" ride the city closes
    the northbound lanes of Lakeshore Drive from 59th Street to Howard Avenue, a
    roughly 25 mile roundtrip that begins and ends at Buckingham Fountain. Last
    year, there were four waves of riders totaling just under 15,000 even though
    the organizers claimed ahead of time that they would be limiting the number to
    12,500. The L.A.T.E. ride doesn't draw quite as many riders because it *starts*
    at midnight and goes to dawn. That ride takes you through the Loop and
    neighborhoods. I always get a kick out of the occasional poster here that
    complains about dense traffic. They should try riding up Rush Street when the
    bars are closing. <g>
    Anyone visiting Chicago in the summer should consider these two and/or the
    Boulevard Lakefront Tour. A google search will point you to registration
    websites. Chicago also hosts a World Cup cyclocross event, the US Pro Crits are
    held every year in suburban Downers Grove, and there are a lot of local club
    rides so all in all it's a good cycling locale. Now if only we could import a
    few mountains.... <g>

    Quoted message said:

    What goals do you have for next season?

    I intentionally don't set any goals for myself beyond, "Ride more. Go faster.
    Don't fall if you are wearing a new or favorite jersey." Riding is too much fun
    to spoil it with goals. :-)

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. Just getting to training season for
    http://www.alaskaultrasport.com

    Rick Warner said:


    [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts.

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end. I have not
    been much of a *transportation* cyclist for the past couple of years
    (< 1 mile on the commute, easier to walk) but still do year-round
    recreational rides.


    <snip>

  12. Bob wrote -

    Quoted message said:

    My inseam still exceeds my waist.

    The other one I like is -

    "I'm still taking the stairs and not my pills two at a time"

    best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

  13. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Rick Warner)

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end. I have not
    been much of a *transportation* cyclist for the past couple of years
    (< 1 mile on the commute, easier to walk) but still do year-round
    recreational rides.

    ---snip---

    Hey, to each his own. I've ridden in subzero weather but it doesn't fit my
    personal definition of fun. I'll take 60 deg F anytime.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My inseam still exceeds my waist.

    Much easier if you have long legs. Those of us with short legs have
    more of an issue with this :-)

    My jeans are a nominal 30" inseam. Just how short are your legs? <g> You can
    always use the excuse, "I'm not overweight. I'm undertall."

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  14. Quoted message said:

    Mike Schwab [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.hillyhundred.org is this month near Bloomington IN. 5,000 +
    riders, 50 miles Sat, 50 miles Sun. They also do NITE (Navigate
    Indianapolis This Evening) ride a Saturday in late July at the velodrome
    that has 3,000.

    I've considered doing the NITE ride before but I never seem to find the time.
    It sounds like a cool ride.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  15. (Rick Warner) said:

    [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts.

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end.

    It's just getting started here in Arizona (and in Florida)... ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I have not
    been much of a *transportation* cyclist for the past couple of years
    (< 1 mile on the commute, easier to walk) but still do year-round
    recreational rides.

    There is a pretty healthy year-round transportational cyclist
    contingent in the SE Florida and in the Phoenix Arizona east valley
    (particularly around the colleges).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  16. 11 Oct 2004 05:47:27 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]

    (Hunrobe) said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts. Time to take
    stock:

    The season is changing here too but there's still some good riding
    weather. Knickers, long pants, wool sweaters, full-finger gloves, rain
    gear, toque,etc. start getting circulated to the front of the pile.

    I will be riding less distances for kicks than during the summer, but
    I'll still be riding almost every day. It rarely gets too hot and
    seldom too cold to ride here. It rains. And if you don't ride in the
    rain you'd never ride at all.

    The core of year round riders will still be on the roads. I'm guessing
    it's ~ 8 - 10% of the bikes you see on nice days in June and July.

    There will be fewer bike socials and events to attend.
    --
    zk

  17. Mark Hickey said:
    (Rick Warner) said:

    [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists among us)
    *recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts.

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end.

    It's just getting started here in Arizona (and in Florida)... ;-)

    One of the guys in the local club rides year round, up here in upstate
    NY. He doesn't own a car and lives a ways out of town. He also doesn't
    seem to own a single piece of "cycling" gear and rides an ancient
    Raleigh while wearing sweats and a backpack.

    It's probably tempting fate to assume that if he can do it, so can I --
    I'm a small woman and I *do* have problems keeping warm enough. But I'm
    starting to get visions of being a snow bunny. That'd surprise my
    husband. *grin*

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  18. (Hunrobe) said:

    Hey, to each his own. I've ridden in subzero weather but it doesn't fit my
    personal definition of fun. I'll take 60 deg F anytime.

    Well, a MTB in the snow or on the ice can be real fun. You do learn
    to check for snow packing in the brakes, though. Downhill with no
    brakes and picking out the biggest snow bank to land in adds a
    dimension to the experience.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  19. "the black rose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Hickey said:
    (Rick Warner) said:

    [email hidden] (Hunrobe) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    >The recreational (I'll repeat that for the transportational cyclists


    among us)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >*recreational* cycling season is slipping away rapidly hereabouts.

    I fail to see why the *recreational* season needs to end.

    It's just getting started here in Arizona (and in Florida)... ;-)

    One of the guys in the local club rides year round, up here in upstate
    NY. He doesn't own a car and lives a ways out of town. He also doesn't
    seem to own a single piece of "cycling" gear and rides an ancient
    Raleigh while wearing sweats and a backpack.

    It's probably tempting fate to assume that if he can do it, so can I --
    I'm a small woman and I *do* have problems keeping warm enough. But I'm
    starting to get visions of being a snow bunny. That'd surprise my
    husband. *grin*

    -km

    How "upstate" are you? I live in Rome and believe me, the last two winters
    there was no year round riding going on, excpet in my basement on the
    trainer in front of the TV.

  20. "the black rose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    One of the guys in the local club rides year round, up here in upstate
    NY. He doesn't own a car and lives a ways out of town. He also doesn't
    seem to own a single piece of "cycling" gear and rides an ancient
    Raleigh while wearing sweats and a backpack.

    It's probably tempting fate to assume that if he can do it, so can I --
    I'm a small woman and I *do* have problems keeping warm enough. But I'm
    starting to get visions of being a snow bunny. That'd surprise my
    husband. *grin*


    If you are looking for kindred souls, check out the icebike site
    http://users.rcn.com/icebike/
    and the e-mail group there.
    I no longer monitor this group, but it was a great group for answering the
    types of questions you might have.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    The road to hell is now paved with PowerPoint presenations.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.