rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Third Annual Issaquah Ride and Feed

Started by harper · · Last activity · 7 posts · 310 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
4 July 2005
Last activity
6 July 2005
Original author
harper
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
310
Views / 30 days
4
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Again this year Tom Blackwood and his family hosted the Issaquah Ride
    and Feed. Tom, Marie, and Miles go to alot of trouble to make food for
    riders and organize a couple of rides, some trials stunts, and various
    juggling acts. There were 15 to 20 participants who varied in age from 3
    to 53.

    Bruce Dawson and Irene Genelin rode Cokers some 30 miles over to Tom's
    place and then did the trail ride. Irene, having ridden 62 miles the day
    before, spent lots of time in the hot tub and hammock after the ride
    with some lame saddle-soreness excuse. Bruce has only a few more
    training days before the 200+ mile Seattle to Portland Ride next
    weekend.

    George Pendergast brought over a set of sturdy trials stunts on which we
    were all able to injure ourselves. Abram Clark and Bruce brought
    juggling clubs to pass during chow time. As always it was a great
    success, lots of fun, and reiterated for all of us the Blackwoods'
    limitless hospitality.

    Thank you, Blackwoods. Hopefully some pictures will appear. I know Irene
    has some in her blog.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "I don't feel someone is stirring the pot here, when the pot is already
    boiling over and the cook is nowhere in sight! " -maestro8 on political
    discussion
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  2. harper said:

    *Hopefully some pictures will appear. I know Irene has some in her
    blog. *

    I'll try to upload to my gallery sometime in the next day.

    Greg, not sure if you were still there, but the other noteworthy event
    of the day was George's first giraffe ride...followed very shortly by
    George's first successful freemount. Then his next, and next, and next
    ad nauseum. He actually learned two versions...one with the first step
    on the tire, and one going directly to pedal.

    For the rest of us there that actually OWN giraffes and still haven't
    mastered the freemount, you can imagine our umbrage.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  3. George who? I don't know anybody named George who makes me sick
    anymore.

    My vote for dismount goes to JC with his body plant off of the dirt/log
    drop. That was a thirty or forty point landing...very well
    distributed.

    George (who I no longer know) tried to ride the dock rail. Failing the
    mount, he bailed to the safe side not realizing that his uni would go
    the opposite direction...into the water. He learned that MUni's float. I
    enjoyed seeing him scramble over the rail quickly to retrieve it. He
    could be quite swift when I still knew him before he could freemount a
    giraffe everywhich way he wanted.

    Watching Jeff Sloan do the full loop on the double log ride was cool,
    too. Ride a moss covered log, rotate 90 onto a 3/8" thick plywood bridge
    that might support the weight of a hamster, cross the short bridge, 90
    onto the second log and ride it all the way back.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "I don't feel someone is stirring the pot here, when the pot is already
    boiling over and the cook is nowhere in sight! " -maestro8 on political
    discussion
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  4. harper said:

    *My vote for dismount goes to JC with his body plant off of the
    dirt/log drop. That was a thirty or forty point landing...very well
    distributed.*

    My vote too. And it's all here, captured on video. Those that know JC
    will appreciate how rare this footage is, especially given the rather
    simplistic nature of the stunt he's riding.

    Gallery of Ride 'n Feed photos and videos:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album652

    I missed George's dock ride and uni swimming session. Had I known what
    he was about to do on MY giraffe, I would have pushed him in myself.

    When I think about the fun party and riding, it's kind of amazing that I
    would never have met ANY of these cool local riders had I not found the
    Moab MuniFest by accident on Google in 2003, then decided to get a wild
    hare up my *$$ and just fly there with all of a month or two of riding
    under my belt. That led to meeting Rolf who introduced me to JC, who
    connected me with the other Seattle locals, who introduced me to trials
    and cokering and giraffes and generally the whole obsession thing.

    I love Riding and Feeding. I love the Internet, and I love Moab.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  5. The Blackwoods rock! Tom, Marie, and Miles know how to host a wonderful
    party. I am very fortunate that they made the date of the Ride ‘N Feed
    when I was in town. I have posted some pictures, along with a write up
    on my blog. You might have to page down a bit, as I have been posting a
    lot lately.

    Thanks so much T, M, and M!

    --Irene
    http://www.unirene.blogspot.com

    --
    Unirene - Seattle Area Rider
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unirene's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/72
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  6. Holy [censored]! JC, you show that ground whose boss!

    😄

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

  7. tomblackwood said:

    *My vote too. And it's all here, captured on video. Those that know
    JC will appreciate how rare this footage is, especially given the
    rather simplistic nature of the stunt he's riding. *

    That was quite the belly flop. 🙂
    That's what happens when you try to launch off of a jump and land in a
    hole with the pedals vertical. My ribs were actually a little sore
    after that. All better now. Fortunately it was a soft landing.

    Harper won the luckiest crash of the day. Unfortunately it wasn't
    captured on camera.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)<<<
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41645

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.