rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

The Toque Report (pix and vids included)

Started by Jester2000 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 218 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
9 March 2005
Last activity
11 March 2005
Original author
Jester2000
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
218
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tell your story.

    Here's mine...

    Right now I am recovering from a totally awesome weekend at the Toque
    Games. Wow, what a fun trip.

    It started last Wednesday when my Dad drove me to Brian Lundgren's
    house. Brian and I realized we were on the same flight, and his parents
    were kind enough to take me to and from the airport. I spent the night
    with Brian and his family, and the next morning we drove to San
    Francisco and spent 5 hours on a plane flying to Toronto.

    After we arrived Brian's parents rented a car and drove all 4 of us to
    their hotel. Jeff's parents and Lilfunky1 (what's your real name
    again?) met us there, and I loaded my stuff up into their car. We drove
    to Phil's (HungfromHooks) and met up with a bunch of people: 2 Dan's,
    Ben, Mike, Joey, Justin, and others. I was really hungry, so I gobbled
    down some delicious chili. We had a jolly good time, and after awhile
    we rode some of Phil's unis outside in the snow. Jeff's parents left at
    one point and picked up Jeff from the airport, and brought him to
    Phil's. Eventually, we piled into a couple cars and drove to Jeff's
    where most of us were staying.

    On Friday I went to the Expo center with everyone else at the Groves'
    House, and met a bunch of people, and rode around a bunch.

    It's hard to remember EVERYTHING I did the whole weekend after that,
    plus it would take forever to write, and forever to read. So I will
    just write some of the parts that really stick out in my head:

    -It was fun when we did a little "street ride" and there was about 4-5
    small groups of riders outside the expo that ended up all converging
    near some handrails into one big group.

    -Eating some really "creative" food at this traditional-vegitarian
    Chinese Restaurant with a big group of unicyclists. Unexpectedly
    expensive, but a really fun meal.

    -The craziness and intensity of the Groves' house. The crowded-ness
    didn't bother me, it was kind of fun. Although the wait for the shower
    sometimes was frustrating, hehe.

    -The trials comp. of course. A lot of really cool lines. I wish I
    could have spent the whole weekend trying the challenging lines, there
    is never enough time for me in a comp.

    -The awesome chili party at the Groves' house Saturday night, where a
    ton of people came.

    -Watching TheDan's rap music video over and over with everyone!

    -The unicycle film festival at the local cinema!

    -Driving around getting lost with Ben and Joey.

    -UMX, it was way more fun than I thought it was going to be, and I was
    pleasantly surprised when I was able to ride pretty well in the snow.

    -Souping up my BC wheel with a pink tire and pink grip tape (Darren
    Bedford has everything!)

    -Going out and eating pizza with Ben, Jack, Joey, and TheDan. I finally
    got to see the famed "2 pizzas in 1 box" and it was more amazing than I
    could have ever imagined.

    -Having a blast Sunday night at the Groves' then walking around town.

    -Waking up at 5:30 on Monday morning ..... oh wait, that wasn't a
    highlight of the trip. hehe.

    *I'm sure I forgot some other awesome moments, but oh well.

    Here are my photos and videos!
    http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/toque_05

    132 photos, and 11 video clips.
    Make sure to see the video clip called "Expo Center", it shows the
    location of Toque inside the giant expo building.

    Thanks again to the Groves Family, they were so INCREDIBLY nice to let
    us all in their home. Big thanks to Carl for putting on this monster
    event. Thank you Brian and your family, Ben PS, Dan Heaton, The Groves,
    and Nick Mandrapilias for giving me rides. I owe a huge thanks to
    Isaac LeMasters for making the TeamPrimitive shirts (and at short
    notice!). Thank you TheDan and Joey for some awesome safety meeting
    gear. THANKS Darren for being super rad, and selling the best
    equipment. Lastly, thank you to everyone I forgot to thank, as well as
    each person who came to the Toque Games.

    Later,

    Jess

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: toque_05.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/286254|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Jester2000 - Muni is a Blast

    'unicyclejester.com' (http://www.unicyclejester.com) <-- always being
    updated
    'sykoproductions.com' (http://www.sykoproductions.com)<--done
    'busteduni.com' (http://www.busteduni.com)<-- done
    'primitivepictures.net' (http://www.primitivepictures.net) <-- under
    construction
    'teamprimitive.com' (http://www.teamprimitive.com)
    The next installment coming mid-March to a browser near you! - t is
    going to be a cool one too
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  2. Hahaha. I'm such a nerd that wants to drive traffic to my own personal
    blog! That and I'm too lazy to copy and paste.

    'TOque Day 0 (Setup)' (http://www.lilfunky1.com/blog/?p=123)
    'TOque Day 1' (http://www.lilfunky1.com/blog/?p=125)
    'TOque Day 2' (http://www.lilfunky1.com/blog/?p=126)
    'TOque Day 3' (http://www.lilfunky1.com/blog/?p=128)

    P.S. My name is Angela. 🙂 And my unicycle's name is Danielle.

    --
    lilfunky1 - Trials Wannabe

    "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down! This should be every boy's
    dream!"
    ~Bart Simpson

    ~lilfunky1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lilfunky1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7361
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  3. Jess thanks for the writeup and photos and vids. That's excellent you
    got to enjoy the fantastic hospitality at the Grove's house and the
    excellent double pizzas. The videos are funny and cool.

    Now let's see the results of the comps.

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  4. What an awesome event. Well worth the price of admission, and than some.
    I gotta thank Carl and Sara and the Groves and everybody else who was
    involved in putting this together. From what I've heard, Carl in
    particular put in a huge amount of behind the scenes work with getting
    the event insured.

    If I'm inspired later I'll post more about the trip. Jess has a pretty
    good write-up.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Plotkin-Swing

    www.benps.com

    "Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible" -Fortune
    cookie.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  5. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. A lot of work always goes on behind the
    scenes to pull things off (and this was just a little event compared to
    an NAUCC or UNICON).

    Official results are up at www.toquegames.com.

    You could be the proud new owner of a 2005 TOque Games t-shirt as we
    have several large t-shirts left for CDN$20 or US$18 plus shipping.
    E-mail me if you want it.

    Carl

    --
    muni_guy - Carl Hoyer

    http://www.mountainunicycling.com/~choyer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muni_guy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/77
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  6. muni_guy said:

    *Official results are up at www.toquegames.com. *

    The link got an extra dot and slash tagged on which breaks the link.
    Here's a clickable link: 'TOque Games' (http://www.toquegames.com/)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)

    \"otherwise we'd just sit around a table and try to agree on what the
    fastest time for a 1 hour time trial should be.\" -- john_childs
    demonstrating a deep understanding of time
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  7. Thanks John. I forgot about that period in the link problem.

    Let me try that again ...
    www.toquegames.com

    --
    muni_guy - Carl Hoyer

    http://www.mountainunicycling.com/~choyer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muni_guy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/77
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  8. As the 3rd Toque games that I have attennded I must say that this one
    was the best hands down.

    I personally would like to thank Carl and Sarah for taking the time out
    of their lives to orgnize such an event. The whole event seemed to run
    smoothly and the level of the courses were set up so they were both
    challanging yet incredibly fun to ride at the same time. I really can
    not thank you guys enough. I personally cant wait untill Toque 06 and
    may I suggest that it goes on a world wide tour in 007

    Cheers
    Mike

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  9. perhaps i should take the video on jesters page of my tongue and use it
    as an animated avitar? sadly i see no pictures taken of the fiasco at my
    place... then agian somethings that happened at TOQUE will remain at
    TOQUE 🙂 *cough cough*

    --
    hungfromhooks - uni newbie

    Philip Barbosa

    people photographer- side show performer - newbie unicyclist

    Witness an average man, flesh skewered deeply and imbedded with shark
    fishing hooks! Marvel as a mere mortal fueled only by free will...
    Ferociosly Pulls, twists, and stretches hooked apendages to transform
    the pastey dermal landscape of his own hide and finally ascend to new
    heights, literally!" This is NO ILLUSION! What you will see is real...
    and remember ladies and gentlemen all this done without the assistance
    of his unicycle.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungfromhooks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6954
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  10. hungfromhooks said:

    *sadly i see no pictures taken of the fiasco at my place... then agian
    somethings that happened at TOQUE will remain at TOQUE 🙂 *cough
    cough* *

    either i wasn't paying attention to "what happened" or i don't want to
    know where my freestyle unicycle has been. either way it was some great
    times!

    --
    lilfunky1 - Trials Wannabe

    "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down! This should be every boy's
    dream!"
    ~Bart Simpson

    ~lilfunky1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lilfunky1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7361
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

  11. Awesome pics Jess! Two pizza's in one box is amazing.

    Does anyone know the total number of unicyclists that were there?

    --Irene

    --
    Unirene - Seattle Area Rider
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unirene's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/72
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38781

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.