UK and Europe · Public discussion

The Times - bike = best value product

Started by Jon Senior · · Last activity · 10 posts · 744 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 April 2006
Last activity
24 April 2006
Original author
Jon Senior
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
744
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Not Responding said:

    I almost couldn't agree more but I think that unless petrol has gone up
    recently, he's underestimated the cost of a bike. My wife's car is a
    bigun and I'm fairly sure I've seen her put £60 or £70 quid in but I
    don't think I've ever seen a bike that cheap. Then again maybe, in the
    waste-not-want-not spirit of the age, the article was referring to
    second hand bikes.

    It is possible, but only if your definition of bike does not include
    usable <ducks!>.

    Supermarkets often have bikes at a £69 price point. They are worth
    exactly what you pay for them and you get more steel than you would if you
    spent more!

    Jon

  2. Reading David Smith's column in the Times' business section today, I
    noticed this:

    QUOTE
    ....While haircuts are rising, plenty of things are still falling, which
    set me musing about the best-value product you can buy these days. My
    vote would go to the humble bicycle. You get a lot of steel, rubber and
    technology for your money, and prices start at about the cost of a
    tankful of petrol for a large car. Readers may have other ideas...
    ENDQUOTE

    (Original :
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8210-2147565_2,00.html)

    I almost couldn't agree more but I think that unless petrol has gone up
    recently, he's underestimated the cost of a bike. My wife's car is a
    bigun and I'm fairly sure I've seen her put £60 or £70 quid in but I
    don't think I've ever seen a bike that cheap. Then again maybe, in the
    waste-not-want-not spirit of the age, the article was referring to
    second hand bikes.

  3. Not Responding said:

    Reading David Smith's column in the Times' business section today, I
    noticed this:

    QUOTE
    ...While haircuts are rising, plenty of things are still falling,
    which set me musing about the best-value product you can buy these
    days. My vote would go to the humble bicycle. You get a lot of steel,
    rubber and technology for your money, and prices start at about the
    cost of a tankful of petrol for a large car. Readers may have other
    ideas... ENDQUOTE

    (Original :
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8210-2147565_2,00.html)

    I almost couldn't agree more but I think that unless petrol has gone
    up recently, he's underestimated the cost of a bike. My wife's car is
    a bigun and I'm fairly sure I've seen her put £60 or £70 quid in but I
    don't think I've ever seen a bike that cheap. Then again maybe, in the
    waste-not-want-not spirit of the age, the article was referring to
    second hand bikes.

    I've seen "bikes" in supermarkets and department stores for well under
    £100. You certainly do get a lot of steel for your money ;-)

    ~PB

  4. Not Responding said:

    I almost couldn't agree more but I think that unless petrol has gone up
    recently, he's underestimated the cost of a bike. My wife's car is a
    bigun and I'm fairly sure I've seen her put £60 or £70 quid in but I
    don't think I've ever seen a bike that cheap. Then again maybe, in the
    waste-not-want-not spirit of the age, the article was referring to
    second hand bikes.

    As long as you don't happen to go into the wrong Halfords[1] you should
    find something labelled for sale as a bicycle for £69.99. You may also
    find things like "two bikes for 80 quid" type small ads. I only know
    through being asked "is this a good deal" by the odd aquaintance. Being
    obliged to check the things out for them, I can confirm the price, but
    not the suitability for purpose of said items. The small ad ones even
    had steel rims advertised as a "feature".

    [1] They advertise these as "half price", and in order to do so, are
    required by law to actually try and sell these FDK's for twice the price
    for a legal minimum amount of time.

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after
    all. - DNA

  5. Not Responding said:

    I almost couldn't agree more but I think that unless petrol has gone up
    recently, he's underestimated the cost of a bike. My wife's car is a
    bigun and I'm fairly sure I've seen her put £60 or £70 quid in but I
    don't think I've ever seen a bike that cheap. Then again maybe, in the
    waste-not-want-not spirit of the age, the article was referring to
    second hand bikes.

    I went China for Christmas - my brother, his wife and two children
    live in Shanghai, but we jointly own a beachfront appartment in Sanya,
    in the extreme south of Hainan Island.

    While there I bought two Giant bicycles (they are, in fact, rather
    small) for the flat. Their combined price was £85.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I went China for Christmas - my brother, his wife and two children live in Shanghai,

    I was horrified to see a news item a couple of years ago about the
    authorities' method of dealing with traffic chaos in Shanghai - they
    noticed there were a lot of bikes, so they banned bikes in order to let
    their cars get through easier! Sounds like a gridlock recipe. Did it
    happen, and does it still apply?

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I was horrified to see a news item a couple of years ago about the
    authorities' method of dealing with traffic chaos in Shanghai - they
    noticed there were a lot of bikes, so they banned bikes in order to let
    their cars get through easier! Sounds like a gridlock recipe. Did it
    happen, and does it still apply?

    Here's a link to the original banning story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3303655.stm
    But then they seemed to "back-pedal"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3513119.stm

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Jon
    Senior <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Supermarkets often have bikes at a £69 price point. They are worth
    exactly what you pay for them and you get more steel than you would if you
    spent more!

    Last summer a friend bought bikes - all new - off ebay for himself and
    his two kids. I don't remember the brand/s, but am certain they weren't
    anything usually recommended on urc. I think the most expensive was
    about UKP 79.

    On a visit there I borrowed his bike and went for a short ride on some
    local cycle paths with the kids. I found it really difficult to ride as
    I couldn't raise the saddle high enough for comfort - the seat pin was
    too short!

    I'm about 5'8" and friend is 6'2", so I'm sure he must find it even more
    difficult to ride than I did.

    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  9. Tom Crispin said:

    I went China for Christmas

    Were you shattered?

    --
    Dave...

  10. POHB said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I was horrified to see a news item a couple of years ago about the
    authorities' method of dealing with traffic chaos in Shanghai - they
    noticed there were a lot of bikes, so they banned bikes in order to let
    their cars get through easier! Sounds like a gridlock recipe. Did it
    happen, and does it still apply?

    Here's a link to the original banning story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3303655.stm
    But then they seemed to "back-pedal"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3513119.stm

    Shanghai is based on a grid road system, with three concentric
    elevated ring roads, a north south elevated highway and an east west
    elevated highway. Bikes are banned from the elevated roads, but as
    there are very wide cycle lanes underneath, that is not a problem, and
    they'd be horrid to cycle on anyway.

    Many of the grid roads have motor traffic one way and bicycle traffic
    the other way - cars are banned from driving one way and cycles banned
    the other way, but mopeds seem to go either way.

    The system works.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.