rec.sport.unicycling archive · Public discussion

the power of prehop

Started by Muniracer · · Last activity · 27 posts · 2,091 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling archive
Published
18 April 2004
Last activity
25 April 2004
Original author
Muniracer
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,091
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. today i discovered the POWER OF PREHOP! Before today my
    highest hop was 78cm (just under 31"😉 and i decided it was
    time to incorporate a prehop into my hops. After probably 15
    tries, I nailed an 85cm hop (33.5"😉. i still prefer hopping
    with just a snap of the tire, but its nice to now I can add
    almost 3 inches with a prehop. i will continue to develope
    it to try and add more height. it felt really good nailing
    that jump!!!

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  2. Man, my best height -with- a prehop is about 20". But I
    can't do it seat out yet. Congratulations, though!

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -[censored], [censored], [censored]!!-
    -- Kris Holm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: unicyclist.com3807
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  3. Funny you mention this. My best hop as of now is still with
    a pre-hop, but it's an old record (about a month).

    On average, my hopping height seems to be higher without a
    prehop than with, although I know I should be able to hop
    heigher with one. I'm just happy I'm not using one as much,
    as it makes me a more versatile trials rider. I still find
    pedalgrabs easier with a prehop, though.

    As for seat out hopping, I recently tried to jump up a
    threeset on my muni, and I found my but bottomed (no pun
    intended) on the tire. This was surprising, as I never knew
    I squatted so low during seat out hops.

    Thread jacking: Does anyone else think there's any use in
    jumping high if you only have a 1 in 20 success rate? I find
    that I *can* land 27", but not more than 5% of the time.
    That's kinda useless, so why bother? Why not get 26" down
    much better, before continuing on? That's what I'm doing
    now, and I like it better, because it preps me better for a
    real trials comp, where 5% is 92% less than I'd like. I find
    that if I haven't gotten my tire on the obstacle by the 10th
    try, it's not worth doing unless I'm competing. Why put
    consistency behind height? Shouldn't it be the other way
    around? I guess you could say that th higher you can hop,
    things get less intimidating, but who cares? I can easily
    ride up to a 32" picnic table and go for it rubber to
    rubber. I know I won't land it (heck, I'd be lucky to get
    all the way to the crank), but it still isn't intimidating.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  4. for me, when i can get a higher hop, it automatically
    increases my consistancy at lower hops. so if when my
    highest hop was 27 inches, i could get 24" consistantly, but
    when i got up to 30", i could get 27"s consistantly. so
    being able to hop higher just helps my technique. working on
    higher hops helps my smaller hops more than just working on
    my smaller hops. plus high hops are just plain fun. at the 2
    comps ive been to, i have never used a hop higher than 20".
    comps just dont seem to put any emphasis on high hops. but
    when riding trials out and about i use high hops all the
    time. and that is the best riding, not comps.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  5. I find myself doing more big gaps then big hops. Most of the
    time on a ride I don't ever run into a hop higher than 25"
    but lower than 32" (I don't know why). I tend to have one
    18"-25" opening hop to get onto the rock, and then i follow
    with a bunch of 5'ish gaps to toher rocks. Also, I don't
    find landing big hops from nowhere to nowhere all that fun,
    compared to technical ups of only about 18". For example, I
    sometimes just practice gapping 4' to the thin edge of a
    2x4, and then doing an 18" jump to the top of a box, rather
    than just doing some big (for me) 27" hop onto a box. But
    yes, comps don't seem to emphasize big hops that much, but
    that's not a bad thing, as there's lots more to trials than
    hopping height.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  6. i guess the thing to do is to practice with what you have
    around you. it sounds like gerble has some rocks that help
    him to work on gapping rather than hopping high. i, on the
    other hand, have lots of things that are high to hop on with
    not many gaps (either 4 or 5 feet or 8 feet or more). i
    have, on campus, probably 10 lines that invlove hops of 27-
    34", so obviously hopping high is something i should
    practice if i want to perfect these lines. since i have very
    few places to practice gapping, i cant practice much to
    improve this skill. i practice with what i have and i have
    walls to hop on. i understand what gerble is saying about
    trials not just being about hopping high, but that is
    definitely one aspect of trials, and should not be ignored.
    comps should include high hops, gaps, and other technical
    skills. comps must focus on every aspect of riding.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  7. i guess the thing to do is to practice with what you have
    around you. it sounds like gerble has some rocks that help
    him to work on gapping rather than hopping high. i, on the
    other hand, have lots of things that are high to hop on with
    not many gaps (either 4 or 5 feet or 8 feet or more). i
    have, on campus, probably 10 lines that invlove hops of 27-
    34", so obviously hopping high is something i should
    practice if i want to perfect these lines. since i have very
    few places to practice gapping, i cant practice much to
    improve this skill. i practice with what i have and i have
    walls to hop on. i understand what gerble is saying about
    trials not just being about hopping high, but that is
    definitely one aspect of trials, and should not be ignored.
    comps should include high hops, gaps, and other technical
    skills. comps must focus on every aspect of riding.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  8. i guess the thing to do is to practice with what you have
    around you. it sounds like gerble has some rocks that help
    him to work on gapping rather than hopping high. i, on the
    other hand, have lots of things that are high to hop on with
    not many gaps (either 4 or 5 feet or 8 feet or more). i
    have, on campus, probably 10 lines that invlove hops of 27-
    34", so obviously hopping high is something i should
    practice if i want to perfect these lines. since i have very
    few places to practice gapping, i cant practice much to
    improve this skill. i practice with what i have and i have
    walls to hop on. i understand what gerble is saying about
    trials not just being about hopping high, but that is
    definitely one aspect of trials, and should not be ignored.
    comps should include high hops, gaps, and other technical
    skills. comps must focus on every aspect of riding. you also
    said that there is no use in having a high hop is it is not
    cinsistant. that is why you practice to get it consistant.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  9. I can see that. BUT, once you have hops of 2' and up, you
    begin to quickly eliminate riders on otherwise easy lines.
    There aren't more than 30 riders on this continent who could
    compete on a technical course with 28" hops and over. Also,
    it's hard to set up a line that's 40" off the ground because
    of an opening 40" pedalgrab. Not to mention, from the pics
    I've seen, most of the bigh hop lines I've seen you do are
    perfectly pedalgrabbable, and don't need rubber to rubber.
    In a comp, I can hop 2' very consistently, but when
    encountered with a 24" hop, I'd probably go for a pedalgrab
    for safety. Also, I have large hops around, too. I can stack
    my boxes to 30", but my landing area is only about 8"x18".
    That's not ideal when landing a 30" hop. Also, I find that
    it's much harder to find a line anywhere that has more than
    8' total of climbing. Much more often near my house, as
    you've pointed out, I have one big hop followed by mabey 10-
    12 big, sometimes technical gaps. I have lots of fun doing
    this. If I scouted, i could find other spots with more vert,
    but why bother. My skill is developing perfectly quickly as
    it is. Also, from my impressions, you don't have all that
    much vert. You have a bunch of lines with a big 27" opening
    hop, but it doesn't seem to me that you've got lines where
    it's like you do a 2' up, then immediately another hop of
    27". Also, in U2, didn't you notice how most of the trials
    lines were more gap than up? Trials is not all up, and it's
    stupid to make it be that. I'm also more satisfied by a
    technical 16" up than some stupid 28" up. One of my favorite
    lines is a 12" up onto a rock with almost no landing space,
    and then immediately anothe 8" up onto a 4x4 sixe landing
    area. No big ups, just hard.

    Happy Hops 🙂

    P.S. When i get a digital camera, I'll try and get photos
    and video clips of my riding territory. Mike Middleton
    and I are already putting together a small video,
    although it'll be a while.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  10. gerblefranklin said:

    *I'm also more satisfied by a technical 16" up than some
    stupid 28" up.*

    why would anyone be satisfied with some stupid anything?
    basically what you just said is that while the stuff you
    ride is technial and fun, the stuff i do is stupid and
    pointless. why do you think that if its not on a slanted
    rock, its pointless? the pictures on the site are not a good
    representation of everything i ride. the pictures are from
    the one or two times i have been able to ride with someone
    else in the last few months. like i said, there is no good
    spot for natural trials near my dorm, so i guess everything
    i do is stupid. also, a 16" techincal up is not likely to
    require more skill than a 28" "stupid" up. Both take
    practice. But most likely, one would be able to land a
    techincal 16" up long before a "stupid" 28" up. i dont
    understand why you have so much against hopping high. since
    i live in a dorm and cant build a trials course in my
    backyard, as i dont have one, naturally i am going to post
    about what i can do, which in my case is hopping on walls.
    when i am not in school in dc, and home in richmond, va,
    there is a great spot for natural trials with everything you
    desribe, and it is fun. but while i am at school, i have
    just as much fun working on urban skills. urban trials
    rarely has a technical landing area so height is really the
    main skill required. i dont think you sould be so negative
    about something you dont like. but if thats what you are
    into, may i suggest you visit some of the bike trials
    forums, such as observedtrials.net. all they do there is
    insult eachother and brag non stop.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  11. muniracer said:

    * i dont understand why you have so much against
    hopping high.*

    I do: because he can't do it. Gerble, you -need- to stop
    flaming everyone for everything. This forum shouldn't be
    like those biker ones Muniracer is talking about.

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -[censored], [censored], [censored]!!-
    -- Kris Holm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: unicyclist.com3807
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  12. Alright, that's reasonable. I don't have anything against
    hopping high, except for in comps when it cheats out lots of
    riders of a fun comp. A 30" technical hop would probably
    even throw a rider of your stature. I know from experience
    that on familiar ground I can do 2-3" higher than on new
    ground. Also, I would like to point out that the big
    eliminator at TOque (or was it Motorama?) was just a bunch
    of 4x4s set up, without all that of a large hops, although
    both of the major competitors on it could do over 3'.

    As for the "stupid", I wasn't trying to insult your riding,
    I was referring to one afternoon about a month ago when I
    was doing hopping practice. I had just landed the same 25"
    hop 15 times in a row. I hadn't fallen on the hop once.
    Then I stepped back, and thought. I was satisfied, but I
    wasn't having fun. I liked lkanding it, but I felt it led
    nowhere. Basically, I just suddenly noticed that what I was
    riding was no longer entertaining, and I felt stupid. I
    don't want to rail on your riding, I actually admire how
    quickly you went from "John Glazer's Crazyness" to "I
    landed 33.5" yesterday. I really wish I could do that. BUT,
    I don't want to do that if it means only hopping next to
    the same wall for two months. I understand that a 16"
    technical hop will take less time to land, but a 28" hop
    feels like it's not worth the tons of nonstop focused work
    on only one thing to land.

    I still hold that a trials comp can do without a bunch of
    massive hops, though.

    Also, i guess I conveyed that I basically have a rock yard
    in my back yard, but that's not the case. My back yard is
    crowded with pplants, and even if it weren't, it's only 12-
    15' by 25'. Not space for a trials course. l have a 1/2 mile
    uphill ride to my rock trials spot, and it's on rocks 5'
    from a heavily travelled road where cars will go 25 without
    looking. It's also windy as hell. SO, I end up missing half
    my hops because I have to look up to see if a car was coming
    and get blown over. Not to mention, the rocks have been
    there for only about a month. Also, I only get to go there
    at most twice a week. My most common trials course is plain
    stupid. Your riding is amazingly varied compared to my
    riding of a few 2' boxes, some risers, and an 8' long
    skinny. The only time I get to ride outside of my
    neighborhood is from 8:30 to 11:30 p.m. on Thursday nights,
    which I can only do if I have friday off.

    I can sympathize to location problems. I have an hour-long
    commute to most places in town, and I have to stand with a
    unicycle most of the way (it can be turned to be an hour and
    a half too, because some ignorant bus drivers think my one-
    wheeled device is a bike). This limits my riding options,
    because I can't do a solo ride because if I get hurt, I
    can't wait an hour to get home. I have friends with 1/2 acre
    trials course, which I turn green with envy for whenever I
    think about it.

    I really now understand what you've got to ride, and in that
    case, I'm sorry for railing on it. I realy don't want
    another MB forum. That's all for now.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  13. dont worry, i wasnt offended 🙂

    while i do ride for fun, i also ride because it is something
    i am committed to. its more than just a hobby for me, its a
    sport. so satisfaction is just as important as fun when i
    ride. yes, trying a jump over and over until i get it is not
    "fun" in the true definition of the word, but the
    satisfaction i get when i make it is just as important. of
    course i dont learn to jump on the same brick wall over and
    over so i can say, "i hopped on this brick wall," i learn it
    so i can apply it elsewhere. the hop that i originally
    posted about was not at this wall, but actually as a part of
    a line i saw when i was just riding around. while the line
    was pretty simple, just a hop, a skinny, and a drop, it was
    a line none the less so i didnt feel i was just hopping from
    nowhere to nowhere. i dont really think trials is fun in the
    way the word implies. i think muni and freestyle stuff is
    fun, but trials is really just a test of skill. it involves
    fear, pain, sweat, and of course, joy. i ride trials for the
    satisfaction i get when i realize that my practice and
    skills have paid off.

    edit: oh yeah, john is my brother. he is the crazy one. i am
    Trip Glazer.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  14. There's clearly a curiosity about just how high guys can
    hop, and all kinds of big numbers are bandied about. Why not
    find out for sure?

    My suggestion for a trials competition is to borrow from the
    FMXers (Frestyle Moto Cross), who have a competition called
    "Step Up," where they simply try to clear a bar which is
    raised higher with each heat, like a high jump competition.

    Versions could be done with no prehop, with prehop, seat in
    and seat out. I used to be able to slam dunk a basketball
    with both hands, and I've gotta see the guy who can clear a
    32" bar, seat in, with no pre hop. I ain't even remotely
    close to that heigth.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: unicyclist.com5625
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  15. vivalargo said:

    *There's clearly a curiosity about just how high guys can
    hop, and all kinds of big numbers are bandied about. Why
    not find out for sure?

    My suggestion for a trials competition is to borrow from
    the FMXers (Frestyle Moto Cross), who have a competition
    called "Step Up," where they simply try to clear a bar
    which is raised higher with each heat, like a high jump
    competition.

    Versions could be done with no prehop, with prehop, seat
    in and seat out. I used to be able to slam dunk a
    basketball with both hands, and I've gotta see the guy who
    can clear a 32" bar, seat in, with no pre hop. I ain't
    even remotely close to that heigth.

    JL *

    I can bet that at least 5 people on this forum can clear a
    32" bar seat in without a prehop, it's called a rolling hop
    😉 . The record is somewhere around 3'. Now, we're not
    discussing over a bar stats, as that's been around forever.
    It's an okay idea, except it has nothing to do with trials.
    The problem is that you have to clear youir pedal on the way
    down, and that lowers the max by at least 2". I can get onto
    a 28" object, but I doubt I could land 25" over a bar
    sidehop. I think a better comp would be to have a bunch of
    1/2" risers and have a comp of high jump onto those. Then
    things would become a good indication of the average skill
    level and who's really the highest jumper.

    Muniracer: Firstly, I knew you were Trip, but I was
    referring to how you seemed so very humbled and amazed
    when John landed that, but now youcan do 5" more! Such
    a contrast!

    I agree on the hopping for prep. for later lines. I too
    practice hops so I can apply it later, but lately I've
    fallen down from my past average of 90 mins min per day.
    Now it's around 3 hours a week. Just because I don't find
    it as satisfying. I have lots more fun with the balance
    beam and such. Also, Potter's right, I can't hop all that
    heigh. I seem to have hit a wall where I can't get anything
    over 26-27" to be at all consistent. That means it's rather
    devoid of satisfaction, and I then go in search of more
    interesting and complicated trials lines. lately I've been
    very happy with strange "endurance lines", where I try and
    land 8-10 large, possibly technical gaps and ups, without a
    dismount. It's hard, but very satisfying, and the learning
    curve seems to be rather steep, which, beiung an impatient
    youngin', I like.

    later, i'm soon to be off to ride (god I love summer, sun
    sets 'round
    7:00, so iut's light enough for riding up until around 7:45)

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  16. At Motorama I noticed Ryan using two hands for some seat out
    ups. I'd never seen anyone do this before and it stuck in my
    mind. I didn't get around to trying this until a few weeks
    ago and guess what. It really helps! I added a few inches to
    my ups and thery are much more comfortable.

    Gerble, you never got around to showing me how to do a
    rolling hop at Moab! I want to learn this. I had to blast
    out of Moab Sunday to catch my plan and I forgot to ask.
    Maybe someone can give me some quick pointers here since
    we're on the topic jumps and hops.

    Joe

    --
    merrill

    "...more and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
    Dubya on On NPR's Morning Edition
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    merrill's Profile: unicyclist.com818
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  17. Damn! Sorry, I completely forgot! You may have noticed lots
    of riders doing it on the trail, I noticed Ryan using it to
    keep the flow of his muni going when he hit an unrollable
    obstacle. I saw him do a big one on an uphill that was cool.
    When doing rolling hops, the way I learned was to jump over
    sidewalk squares on my uni without stopping my riding. I
    started with small ones, then moved on to doing one of them
    at a time. I just ride quickly, and when my pedals feel
    right I launch and try to fly over the square. Now on my 24"
    with a fireball I can do about 2.5 squares, just flying
    along and laujnching myself. I rarely ever do any hops after
    the maikn hop, unless I'm catastrophically off-balance, in
    which I'll have to hop to stay up.

    Once I could do sidewalk squares and curbs, I just tried to
    do height. Instead of throwing myself forward, I leaned
    back, and stopped all but the tiniest bit of forward motion
    in order to do the jump, and then I lift up and pike. On
    rolling hops like that, I always do a few stabilizing hops
    after the big one if I'm going onto an object, or, if I'm
    going over a bar or something, I find I'm usually *very* off
    balance, and need to stop and idle to get going again,
    because most of my forward motion is gone. I find that as
    objects get higher, the distance I hop onto them from also
    increases. On a 20" or over rolling hop, I'm often finding
    my take-off point to be at least as far from the object as
    the object is high. It helps to try to rolling hop onto
    stuff off of sidewalkcement that shows your treads. You know
    the stuff. When I do that, I'm often surprised how far away
    I am from the object when I take off. If it helps to measure
    your pedals, by all means, do it. I measure when ever I'm
    unsure. Other riders are aversed to it.

    As for two handed seat out, I find it's not all that helpful
    when going big. From what I understand, Ryan does it for
    control on slants, because it makes it so he can take a
    steeper incline before he needs to put the seat in. When
    going big seat out, often my head or shoulder is at pr below
    the level of the seat, so holding with two hands wouldn't
    help, because I wouldn't be able to pull it to the side so
    it could clear my body. So: with set up hops on inclines and
    technical surfaces, two handed can be helpful, but on big
    ups, it's often counter-productive. Your problem may be
    where you hold the seat. I know some riders who couldn't
    seat out very well until I showed them that they need to
    hold way back on the seat, not in front or such. If you use
    a KH seat, try holding it on the colored part.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  18. hey gerble, maybe you can give me a tip on a line im working
    on (im jacking my own thread!). it does start with a big hop
    but thats not what i am asking about. the line is a 30" hop
    onto a 10" wide platform (while it is 10" wide, it is
    several feet long), once i am up, i ride straight to the end
    of the platform, where i am faced with a 6' gap with a 28"
    drop onto a similar platform. sometimes i dont get all the
    distance and hit the corner, but when i make it, i usually
    have to immediately jump forward, off the platform, because
    i have so much momentum. i am hopping mostly straight
    forward, but with a little bit of an angle on my tire so i
    can use sideways force too. how can i land this gap more
    effectively and stay on the platform?

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  19. First I have my own question. Did you hack 2" off my boxes?!! Today I
    did my first hopping practice in about 4 days, and I was able to
    immediately, without a warm up, do 7 no-prehop 25inchers, followed by 7
    prehopped 25" hops (bear in mind, lately I've had a hard time with
    prehops). So, already I had 14 in a row without a fall yet. Then I
    raised it, and I landed 26" without a prehop first try. I got it six
    more times (with and without a prehop. I also noticed when I
    no-prehopped, I could've gone over a bar, as my tire was landing around
    7-8" onto the obj.), before I added anothe inch so it was 27". Again, I
    landed it first try-no prehop! I landed a few more with and without
    prehops, before scrubbing my tire against the side and getting crank🙁 .
    Then, immediately after the scrub, I landed 10 27 inchers in a row,
    alternating prehop-no prehop! Then I had to have dinner, but i can't
    believe it. I finally broke 27"! I'm really satisfied, but now I have to
    rig some new risers🙁 . That'll take a while.

    As for the line, I'm not all that good at gap-drops (most of
    my stuff is flat-gap-ish, and I usually land into an
    incline, so stopping myself isn't much of a problem). BUT, I
    ride with Mike Middleton, who's crazy! He landed a ~6.5' gap
    with less than a vertical foot of height difference
    consistently (we'll put it in our video we're making, which
    should be online in a few months)! He can hang with the bike
    trials guys on gaps, which is saying something. The guys we
    ride with are expert, and one of the just got back from
    Europe for some trials training camp. And the landing
    platform is only about 20" wide! Anyways, I've started to
    agree with him on gaps with a drop factor. He does it seat
    in, because it gives him exactly what it sounds like you need-
    stopping power. I find when I do flatish gaps to my balance
    beam andf then to a small paltform, I have the same problem
    as you. I ethier overshoot, or undershoot. If I scrub the
    edge, I land on the box, but do what you described, and hop
    off the other end. I've been working on this, but there's no
    clear solution for flat gaps.

    As for a gap with drop in it, there seems to be hope... Try
    it seat in, which I find gives much better stopping power
    for big gaps. You may land hard, but at least you'll land it
    (I hope). That's all i can say, try it seat in, and do more
    of a lateral gap rather than front, although I know it's
    hard, and also the tire really wants to shear off the rim. I
    think seat in is really the best idea I have, though. Try it
    on a fireball, too. Even if you miss it, it makes this cool
    screech. I love it for street, because I can gap and it
    makes me sound like I'm super-skilled and can skid😄 .

    New Jacking: What tire do you use? I just was given a Monty
    whiteline, and it's not all that great. Certainly not $10
    more than the luna. It's got a rounder profile, but the
    knobbies are nice for grabbing obstacles (that is, when I
    make it 🙂 )...

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: unicyclist.com4295
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

  20. its the tire that comes on the onza

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    unicyclist.comalbuq25
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    muniracer's Profile: unicyclist.com4339
    View this thread: unicyclist.com31893

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.