UK and Europe · Public discussion

The other H word

Started by MartinM · · Last activity · 16 posts · 462 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 October 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
MartinM
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
462
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. H**f**s that is;

    just picked up a set of their LED lights 20% offf 18.99 for my oldest
    who's decided invisible at night is the new kwl, the 3 LED front light
    is a Hella and very good indeed; I shall borrow it so as to have 2 for
    the French Ride (having bought a cheap filament light to satisfy Les
    Inspecteurs)

  2. MartinM said:

    H**f**s that is;

    Actually, while we're on the topic, regulars may recall I was in
    search of a spring for a track-pump, and having difficulty contacting
    the manufacturer.

    I went into Halfords, about 3 minutes before closing time, and taking
    the similar but slightly different current model of track-pump off the
    shelf dismantled it on the counter and said 'do you have one of these'
    when I got to the bit in question.

    Oooh, aaah said the assistant, I'll ask someone.

    Disappeared, came back with a box of bits of o-rings and springs and
    whatnot, rummaged around and produced an exact replacement.
    Excellent, thought I.

    No charge.

    My first happy Halfords visit.

    (This was after my 'proper' lbs dithered, were ignorant, incompetent,
    and made it quite plain they didn't want to bother with little springs
    when I could be buying a complete replacement track pump from them.
    I'm worried I may even consider checking Halfords for bike assistance
    more often.)

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  3. Ian Smith said:

    Excellent, thought I.

    No charge.

    My first happy Halfords visit.

    actually just checking the receipt it was 33% off; TBF it was the
    second set as the first (cheaper) set neglected to mention that the
    front light was actually green LED's.

    On the box it says they can't be used in flashing mode; Shirley the
    reverse is true now?

  4. Ian Smith said:

    (This was after my 'proper' lbs dithered, were ignorant, incompetent,
    and made it quite plain they didn't want to bother with little springs
    when I could be buying a complete replacement track pump from them.
    I'm worried I may even consider checking Halfords for bike assistance
    more often.)

    My very best and very worst visits to a bike shop have been to
    Halfords.

  5. MartinM said:

    actually just checking the receipt it was 33% off; TBF it was the
    second set as the first (cheaper) set neglected to mention that the
    front light was actually green LED's.

    On the box it says they can't be used in flashing mode; Shirley the
    reverse is true now?

    I believe front flashers *must* be either white or amber.

    Now I'm confused, though. Were the green LED's in the front light you
    bought, or the one you didn't buy?

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  6. Danny Colyer said:

    MartinM wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On the box it says they can't be used in flashing mode; Shirley the
    reverse is true now?

    I believe front flashers *must* be either white or amber.

    Now I'm confused, though. Were the green LED's in the front light you
    bought, or the one you didn't buy?

    I originally bought the flat lozenge shaped 5 LED set, on inspection
    the front one was green so for the sake of £6 I bought the set with a
    proper 3 white LED front one. On the box of the second set it says

    "Front light must be used in conjunction with a BS 6102/03 approved
    light
    Rear light conforms to the BS 6102/03 standard in constant mode
    Lights should not be used on public roads in flashing mode"

    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219946_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_31362_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_31362

  7. MartinM said:

    I originally bought the flat lozenge shaped 5 LED set, on inspection
    the front one was green so for the sake of £6 I bought the set with a
    proper 3 white LED front one. On the box of the second set it says

    "Front light must be used in conjunction with a BS 6102/03 approved
    light
    Rear light conforms to the BS 6102/03 standard in constant mode
    Lights should not be used on public roads in flashing mode"

    Nyah, the packaging's probably just out of date then.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  8. "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    H**f**s that is;

    the 3 LED front light is a Hella and very good indeed;

    sod LEDs, Comet 550 driving lamps on a bike............ need a rucksack to
    carry the battery in

    Niall

  9. MartinM said:
    Danny Colyer said:

    MartinM wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On the box it says they can't be used in flashing mode; Shirley the
    reverse is true now?


    I believe front flashers *must* be either white or amber.

    Now I'm confused, though. Were the green LED's in the front light you
    bought, or the one you didn't buy?

    I originally bought the flat lozenge shaped 5 LED set, on inspection
    the front one was green so for the sake of £6 I bought the set with a
    proper 3 white LED front one. On the box of the second set it says

    "Front light must be used in conjunction with a BS 6102/03 approved
    light
    Rear light conforms to the BS 6102/03 standard in constant mode
    Lights should not be used on public roads in flashing mode"

    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219946_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_31362_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_31362


    I had something that sounds very similar from a pound shop.
    Cost um a pound.
    Can't tell which is the green, and which red until switched on

  10. Tom Crispin said:

    My very best and very worst visits to a bike shop have been to
    Halfords.

    I've never had a problem with Halfords: several times (and in differenct
    stores) they've helped me out with obscure bits and pieces. A couple of
    weeks ago the Dover branch got me back on the road after a chain failure
    half way through an Audax ride; without charge!

  11. MartinM said:

    I shall borrow it so as to have 2 for
    the French Ride (having bought a cheap
    filament light to satisfy Les
    Inspecteurs)

    Have Les Pouvoirs Qui Sont announced the lighting regs for The French Ride
    yet? There has been some talk that LEDs as primary lights may be permis
    this time...

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    I'm just a primitive creature of the heath, so pardon my savage
    ignorance.

  12. Dave Larrington said:

    Have Les Pouvoirs Qui Sont announced the lighting regs for The French Ride
    yet? There has been some talk that LEDs as primary lights may be permis
    this time...

    dunno still trying to work out how to homologate myself ;-)

  13. MartinM said:

    dunno still trying to work out how to homologate myself ;-)

    There is an urban legend claiming that Prince (or TAFKA Prince, or TAFKA
    TAFKA Prince, or whatever he calls himself these days) had a rib removed
    to help with that.

    I've no idea of its voracity, though

    -dan

  14. "Daniel Barlow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    MartinM said:

    dunno still trying to work out how to homologate myself ;-)

    There is an urban legend claiming that Prince (or TAFKA Prince, or TAFKA
    TAFKA Prince, or whatever he calls himself these days) had a rib removed
    to help with that.

    I've no idea of its voracity, though

    -dan


    I hope his voracity didn't result in him eating his rib.
    But then I suppose your veracity is suspect! :-}

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  15. Danny Colyer said:

    I believe front flashers *must* be either white or amber.

    And I was just about to get myself a set of blue ones so that traffic
    would pull over and let me pass.

  16. Pinky said:

    I hope his voracity didn't result in him eating his rib.
    But then I suppose your veracity is suspect! :-}

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.folklore.urban/browse_frm/thread/aa99bdf136a77f4/2c48bed73d7e694a

    Clearly usenet is not what it used to be.

    -dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.