The Kiss of Death

Tbradster

Guest
Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb on Vision selling off their
remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This is a shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4
seasons with thousands of miles of trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.

I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I also own not one, but two
Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the bike and bike company goes bust.

Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..

Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

Brad

Next thing you know you will be owning a rans Rocket.

Perry B

"TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040210195348.24647.00001759@mb-
m13.aol.com...
> Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb
on
> Vision selling off their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This
is a
> shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4 seasons with thousands of
miles of
> trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.
>
> I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I
also own
> not one, but two Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the bike
and
> bike company goes bust.
>
> Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..
>
> Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

Oh, Perry, it took me a while to get it. Cute.
Perry
"Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Brad
>
> Next thing you know you will be owning a rans Rocket.
>
> Perry B
>

> "TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040210195348.24647.00001759@mb-
> m13.aol.com...
> > Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a
blurb
> on
> > Vision selling off their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices.
This
> is a
> > shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4 seasons with thousands of
> miles of
> > trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.
> >
> > I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I
> also own
> > not one, but two Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the
bike
> and
> > bike company goes bust.
> >
> > Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..
> >
> > Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

Originally posted by Tbradster
Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb on Vision selling off their
remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This is a shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4
seasons with thousands of miles of trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.

I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I also own not one, but two
Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the bike and bike company goes bust.

Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..

Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

Could look at your stock portfolio and let us know what we should be shorting?
:D

[email protected] (TBRADSTER) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb on Vision selling off
> their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This is a shame, my R40 has served me very well
> for 4 seasons with thousands of miles of trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.

The Vision recumbents were the most comfortable of any of the recumbents I have ever come into
contact with. Their seat design was a stroke of genius. You can get all day comfort on that
seat, unlike many others. If and when Vision goes out of business they will be sorely missed.
They pioneered the SWB design of recumbent and they gave us total comfort when most other
recumbents did not.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Brad... maybe not your fault.

Anyone else noticed the following?

A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.

Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin.

Some period of time later, bike manufacturer goes out of business.

"TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040210195348.24647.00001759@mb-
m13.aol.com...
> Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb
on
> Vision selling off their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This
is a
> shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4 seasons with thousands of
miles of
> trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.
>
> I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I
also own
> not one, but two Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the bike
and
> bike company goes bust.
>
> Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..
>
> Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

It is more likely that being a great bike builder is one thing and being a great business person is
another. The two are seldom found in one body. That type of failure is very common in small start-up
companies regardless of the product. Too bad.....

jd

"db" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rJpWb.12759$%[email protected]...
> Brad... maybe not your fault.
>
> Anyone else noticed the following?
>
> A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.
>
> Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin.
>
> Some period of time later, bike manufacturer goes out of business.
>

> "TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040210195348.24647.00001759@mb-
> m13.aol.com...
> > Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a
blurb
> on
> > Vision selling off their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices.
This
> is a
> > shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4 seasons with thousands of
> miles of
> > trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.
> >
> > I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I
> also own
> > not one, but two Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the
bike
> and
> > bike company goes bust.
> >
> > Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..
> >
> > Brad Looking forward to spring in Michigan

Or it could be:

A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.

Rising costs without significant sales growth (and/or possible poor business management) erodes
profit margins to the point the company is operating at a loss.

Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin to essentially stay in business
but only prolonging/delaying the inevitable.

Had the company not done the outsourcing, it may have simply gone out of business sooner.

-Brian

--

http://home.earthlink.net/~bzupke/index.html Bike Friday Club:

The story I was verbally told about Watoerford bicycles: Schwinn started manufacturing off-shore.
Schwinn started to shut down it's Waterford Wisconsin factory. The employees got together, bought
the plant, founding Waterford Cycles. Waterford is still going strong. Schwinn filed for bankruptcy
two years ago.

Brian Zupke wrote:

> Or it could be:
>
> A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.
>
> Rising costs without significant sales growth (and/or possible poor business management) erodes
> profit margins to the point the company is operating at a loss.
>
> Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin to essentially stay in business
> but only prolonging/delaying the inevitable.
>
> Had the company not done the outsourcing, it may have simply gone out of business sooner.
>
> -Brian
>
> db wrote:
>
> >Brad... maybe not your fault.
> >
> >Anyone else noticed the following?
> >
> >A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.
> >
> >Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin.
> >
> >Some period of time later, bike manufacturer goes out of business.
> >

> --
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~bzupke/index.html Bike Friday Club:

>Could look at your stock portfolio and let us know what we should be
>shorting? :D

Now this hurts. It is true that the Eschler family motto is buy high, sell low.

"TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking bad for Vision. In the STP section of Bentrider there is a blurb
on
> Vision selling off their remaining 2003 stock at discounted prices. This
is a
> shame, my R40 has served me very well for 4 seasons with thousands of
miles of
> trouble-free riding. Reasonably fast bike, too.

They're not dead yet.

> I also own a Bikee AT that I haven't ridden in a couple of years and I
also own
> not one, but two Linears. Anybody see a pattern here? Brad buys the bike
and
> bike company goes bust.

Is this a macro-quantum phenomenon? Acting at a distance?

> Oh, BTW, I also own a RANS Rocket..

Ulp. Don't even *think* about it!

Cousin FX

> A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US. Bike maker transfers production to
> Taiwan to improve profit margin.

Have I missed something here? I have always (and only) been told that Vision is built in Seattle.
The sticker on my 2001 says so anyway, plus my conversations with the always-witty cust-support
Ricky of Vision (moved on now) said that... (I think). I think their ads say that too, was that
their web-site I saw it at? Or maybe the purdy shiny brochure I keep in the throne room?

My first and only recumbent is an R40. I bought it at a considerable discount after it had sat in
the shop for 11 months. The dealer assured me he was still making money at $800. I am so tight I
squeek when I walk and I doubt I woudda sprung for more money. Prolly wudda abandoned the idea, or
built a TE knock-off.

I ask about other bents he might bring from time to time. He tells me he would be happy to order
what I wanna try out, and he will be able to sell it with no trouble if I decide I don't want it. I
have been planning to check out a V2. I have ridden several others. I like the TE. I'd like to ride
a GGR before I buy also. Dealer sold a almost new GRR for $1400, had 1500 miles on it with a lot of
extras. Sheesh. I always wait too long.

I may never git another recumbent... depends on how this stinkin' knee issue works out. Can't
seem to get beyond a 50 miler at a pokey 12-13 mph before the trip is over for me. I do about
2000 miles/year. I wanna do some trips. :-( I may have had too many birthdays before I started
riding, not sure.

I have always felt that buying used bicycles helps build the market. I would guess that many of the
used-bike buyers eventually buy a new one. Plus they make the investment more attractive to the first-
time buying group. It builds the sport, it builds public awareness, plus the business' reputation. I
would not put that much money in something that I couldn't sell later. That's why I pay more for
Toyotas (but get it back later), and avoid Chevettes and Kias 'n stuff. And all GM stuff. Except the
Suzuki Geo, it's cheap but durable.

OOoooppss.. sorry.. slipped right off the topic... back now! Whew! Didja miss me?

Anyway, I love my R40. Only one complaint.. the stinkin' plastic around the edges of the cool-
mesh seat-back creaks when it shifts on the frame. [1] And the black dye on the seat cushion
faded to brown.

But it sooo cool to ride out in the country, in perfect comfort (knee excepted) and watch the
coyotes and ducks and such. The tweet-birds singing... the farm dogs snarling... !!!!! YIPES!!!
CRIMINY!!!! Where did HE come from!

[1] I'd welcome suggestions about how to fix that. I have tried wax paper. I have tried car wax.
Poster paper. Tightening. Loosening. Think the nature of the paint's surface and the plastic
don't get along. Maybe I could sleeve the metal frame with PVC... It sounds like I am farting as
a pedal along. Well, I love bean-soup so sometimes I am, but not generally.

Brian and Mike...

You have interesting observations.

I bought 2 used R40s, on for me and one for my daughter, having previously bought a used Rotator
Tiger, a used Quetzal C24 child's length bike, and a used BikeE CT.

Finally, when my wife took active interest in riding, I decided to buy her a sparkly new R40 for
Christmas. We settled on the R40 as our "standard bike" becasue of its all-around performance and
easy access to accessories. It also seemed to be a stable company (October 2003).

So it got me to thinking about who seems to be surviving and who's not, and how they might differ.

I was once involved in a very small business that didn't make it, and the killer was cash flow. You
could sell all day and look good on paper, but if the money was slow-moving, it was tough to pay
employees, and then bills, and then yourself. One day you'd find that you just couldn't hold your
breath long enough.

So what occurred to me was that maybe the companies who retain fabrication in the US in their own
shops, can limit the amount of money that they have tied-up in partially-finished bikes to very
close to their demand level. They can have small investments in tubing, and essentially build on
demand. They are liquid and can react very quickly. They have efficient throughput vs. cash flow
from small batch sizes. Worst case, you can still sell the tubing in liquidation because it has some
value before it's brazed on. It's like Just-In-Time production.

When the move is made to Taiwan production, suddenly that changes. Now you have a large batch
investment in full frames, with a long lead time. Big cash flow impact.

Also, where before there was just a pile of tubing costing money, these expensive frames make you
zero money until they become completed bikes, which means components. So while you can string the
component purchases out, the big frame investment is still immobile money until bike meets buyer.
And an unfinished frame has negative value, because it's not even sellable raw material.

So I'm guessing that the cashflow threshold and timing for a Taiwan decision is very critical, and
not someothing you should do if you're already in marginal condition.

RANS and Rotator seem to do quite well for themselves. Actionbent, which flips the entire model
backwards and does everything in Taiwan, also appears to be doing okay. BikeE, and now Vision, may
have moved too quickly. I wonder how much of BikeE's cash flow restriction had to do with getting
certified replacement forks and seats in quick enough time.

Just idle wondering... there are a lot of smart folks who read this group.

Doug

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:19:50 GMT, "db" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So I'm guessing that the cashflow threshold and timing for a Taiwan decision is very critical, and
>not someothing you should do if you're already in marginal condition.

Most of your logic could hold true if rates were up a bit. Inventory-based loans shouldn't be enough
to take a viable business under at current rates and would give adequate cashflow. The weak dollar
also shouldn't be an issue if they did the work in Taiwan. Maybe there are a lot of Vision bikes
sitting unsold in bike shops, or maybe there wasn't the market they expected.

Lot of non-bike related issues, too. Helath insurance has been a bear lately, and all other
insurance has gone through the roof, just behind health insurance. They could have been near the
edge and blindsided by a number of things almost beyond their control.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Doug,

Your first two paragraphs are quite revealing and relevant to the "problem". Out of six bikes total,
you bought only one new one. The five used bikes did nothing to help the companies stay afloat. How
many of us buy more used bikes than new ones?

Sometimes rapid success can spell disaster for a startup company. This has been especially true with
the increasing popularity of internet businesses. A small company with a good product can be forced
into too rapid and too great an expansion expenditure in an effort to keep up with demand. If there
is even a small dip in that demand they can find themselves in a serious cash-flow problem.

RANS had a big demand for their V2F but production problems, (off-shore) has drastically delayed the
time it is going to take to get a significant number of bikes to dealers and customers. By the time
they finally arrives they are "old-news" and other makes and other models have come along. Their
total sales of the V2F will not likely be anything like it could have been if the bike was in
dealers stores when the initial demand was there. If bikes were RANS only product, or if they had
fewer models, they could be in a serious situation now.

Many hobby products, including bikes, are subject to fads and the short attention span of consumers.
We want the newest and best, (?) item possible. Many new models flourish for a while and are then
replaced by another new model. (retailers nightmare) When they are "HOT" dealers can't get them and
when they can get them they are no longer in demand. Little wonder that many dealers will not, or
can not,. have much of an inventory. Since it is difficult to sell what you don't have the whole
industry suffers and staggers along.

But.... isn't it interesting?! After all, how many other products would you drive 50 to 100 miles
just to see and try?

JD

"db" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > The story I was verbally told about Watoerford bicycles: Schwinn started manufacturing off-
> > shore. Schwinn started to shut down it's Waterford Wisconsin factory. The employees got
> > together, bought the plant, founding Waterford Cycles. Waterford is still going strong. Schwinn
> > filed for bankruptcy two years ago.
> >
> > Brian Zupke wrote:
> > >
> > > Or it could be:
> > >
> > > A bike is made successfully in small quantities in the US.
> > >
> > > Rising costs without significant sales growth (and/or possible poor
> business management) erodes profit margins to the point the company is operating at a loss.
> > >
> > > Bike maker transfers production to Taiwan to improve profit margin to
> essentially stay in business but only prolonging/delaying the inevitable.
> > >
> > > Had the company not done the outsourcing, it may have simply gone out

Jack, Mea culpa. I started with a used Tiger not knowing if I'd keep with it or not, as I hadn't
been on a bike in years. Then I ran across the Quetzal on a business trip to Minneapolis (Calhoun
Cycle - great folks) and shipped it home on a whim. My daughter (13 then) took to it like chocolate,
and first thing you know, she and I were riding the MS150. An awesome Dad-Daughter adventure we'll
always remember. The BikeE I bought on another business trip (Calhoun again) with the intention of
modifying it ("LowE") but my wife took to it, and soon the 3 of us were riding the Seagull Century.
Now I'm modifying the Quetzal to suit my son (8 years old) because it is a child-size frame, which
I've seen no where else. The Kidzbent seems too have disappeared about as I was gonna buy one.

My daughter was outgrowing the Quetzal, and wanted something faster, so I bought a used 2000 R40
locally (it had a Calhoun sticker on it - can you believe it? I live in Virginia). She loves it, and
I tried it and was very impressed. I then went to Bikes at Vienna and elected to buy an R40 demo
rather than a new R40. In retrospect, not buying the new one was a mistake, particularly after
buying a new one (from Calhoun) for my wife. The improvements in the design are worth paying for.

How many others started used and moved to new bikes?

As I realized that I had found an activity that the whole family could do at once (as opposed to
activities where one person "does" and the others "watch") the return on investment of a new bike
suddenly grew a lot. Now being able to take family rides easily justifies bike money I would never
have even considered before. I even bought a full-size van to carry them so we can travel and bike
(hoping to do the Bentrider ride in August with the whole family.)

I think another thing that's not helping Vision is that folks appear to be letting them go - have
you seen how many used ones are being advertised?

I just lament the fact that such a fine product might be leaving the fray. Have I helped? Well, I
have voted with my wallet once, and as things progress, I probably will again. All these Vision
accessories I bought will probably mount very nicely on a shiny new Volae... or a Tidal Wave for
that matter... but I'm really kinda still pulling for Vision. That Blue OSS R40 on clearance is
tempting...

Be Well, All...

Doug

"Jack Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > BikeE's cash flow restriction had to do with getting certified replacement forks and seats in
> > quick enough time.
> >
> > Just idle wondering... there are a lot of smart folks who read this
> group.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> > "Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > The story I was verbally told about Watoerford bicycles: Schwinn started manufacturing off-
> > > shore. Schwinn started to shut down it's Waterford Wisconsin factory. The employees got
> > > together, bought the plant, founding Waterford
Cycles.
> > > Waterford is still going strong. Schwinn filed for bankruptcy two years ago.

> > business management) erodes profit margins to the point the company is operating at a loss.

> > essentially stay in business but only prolonging/delaying the

confession....two of my four were used.....(but all bought from dealers) jd

> [...]
in
> > > marginal condition.
> > >
> > > RANS and Rotator seem to do quite well for themselves. Actionbent,
which
> > > flips the entire model backwards and does everything in Taiwan, also
> > appears
> > > to be doing okay. BikeE, and now Vision, may have moved too quickly. I wonder how much of
> > > BikeE's cash flow restriction had to do with
getting
> > > certified replacement forks and seats in quick enough time.
> > >
> > > Just idle wondering... there are a lot of smart folks who read this
> > group.
> > >
> > > Doug

> Cycles.

> > > business management) erodes profit margins to the point the company is operating at a loss.

> > > essentially stay in business but only prolonging/delaying the

The thing about Vision going under, has anyone tried to contact the company to see how things are
going & if are going to take down the flag for the last time. Last I heard was Vision had this plan
to diversify to cover slow bike sale periods and build Wheelchair wheels and then they went on
silent running after that. There used to be a nice chap heading their Marketing dept., he used to
post messages on ARBR weekly and I've seen nothing for months.,.cannot remember his name now, but if
you are still lurking, step up and say hi.

Joshua *****.

Rick Comar Marketing Director ATP Vision
8/2002

From a previous post by him:

Every frame of every Vision is made in Washington state. Yes, it costs a bit more, but we get to run
a lean production facility so we can make running changes in a flash if needed. Is it worth the
extra money for a "Made in America" sticker... well, to some people, no it's not, and that is fine.

> There used to be a nice chap heading their Marketing dept., he used to post messages on
> ARBR weekly

I have had many enjoyable conversations with Rick. Not about problems with the bike because I have
had none except the creak/squeek. Rick used to post hereabouts fairly frequently. He is no longer
with Vision, and I haven't seen any post from him either. He didn't say why he left.