Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
the full monty (Hinkesies talk)
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 30 October 2005
- Last activity
- 8 November 2005
- Original author
- Clodhopper
- Posts
- 20
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 429
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend.Went to see him at the Reghed Centre IN July, the week after his return from
completing Kangkenjunga and the 14 8000m peaks. Brilliant talker, true
Yorkshire grid, and can spin a good tale ....... especially about Sigg
bottles!--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
On 31/10/05 16:39, in article [email hidden], "sandy
saunders said:
Went to see him at the Reghed Centre IN July, the week after his return from
completing Kangkenjunga and the 14 8000m peaks. Brilliant talker, true
Yorkshire grid, and can spin a good tale ....... especially about Sigg
bottles!Hmm, I suspect that this is something that I don't want to know about!
--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UKTo mail simply put back the dots ...
-
In message <[email hidden]>
sandy saunders said:
Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend.Went to see him at the Reghed Centre IN July, the week after his return from
completing Kangkenjunga and the 14 8000m peaks. Brilliant talker, true
Yorkshire grid, and can spin a good tale ....... especially about Sigg
bottles!
I've heard him talk about three or four times over the years, when he's
been doing the rounds to raise more money for his next 8000 metre peak.
He's had a story about a Sigg bottle frozen to his climbing partners
unmentionables for at least the last two talks I've heard. His talking
style relies very heavily on playing to his Yorkshire roots. Essentially
he comes across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder and something to
prove by ticking a list, and needs you to cough up the money to help
sponsor his ambition.Things that my friends and I have commented on about his talks is that
you don't come away with the impression that he has much of an
appreciation of the historical perspective of the mountain routes he has
climbed, or of the social history of the people in the regions he's
climbed in. People like Edmund Hilary and also Doug Scott have done a
lot to try and raise awareness of, and to help the communities in the
mountain ranges that they've climbed in. Others like Stephen Venables
are able to write with authority and passion about the history of the
mountain routes they've tackled. If you want the master of the amusing
climbing anecdote then it has to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious
research about the routes he tackles and also varies his talks and
anecdotes on a regular basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk
and found them to be far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
"> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" -
"Mike Clark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
In message <[email hidden]>
sandy saunders said:
Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the
guys a
legend.Went to see him at the Reghed Centre IN July, the week after his return
from
completing Kangkenjunga and the 14 8000m peaks. Brilliant talker, true
Yorkshire grid, and can spin a good tale ....... especially about Sigg
bottles!
I've heard him talk about three or four times over the years, when he's
been doing the rounds to raise more money for his next 8000 metre peak.
He's had a story about a Sigg bottle frozen to his climbing partners
unmentionables for at least the last two talks I've heard. His talking
style relies very heavily on playing to his Yorkshire roots. Essentially
he comes across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder and something to
prove by ticking a list, and needs you to cough up the money to help
sponsor his ambition.Things that my friends and I have commented on about his talks is that
you don't come away with the impression that he has much of an
appreciation of the historical perspective of the mountain routes he has
climbed, or of the social history of the people in the regions he's
climbed in. People like Edmund Hilary and also Doug Scott have done a
lot to try and raise awareness of, and to help the communities in the
mountain ranges that they've climbed in. Others like Stephen Venables
are able to write with authority and passion about the history of the
mountain routes they've tackled. If you want the master of the amusing
climbing anecdote then it has to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious
research about the routes he tackles and also varies his talks and
anecdotes on a regular basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk
and found them to be far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.
My God what an incredibly boring read that was. I nearly lost the will to
live half way through. Thankfully AH concentrated on 8000mtr climbing
anecdotes which were enjoyed by the appreciative audience and steered well
clear of social history.
Put it this way, given a choice between a couple of days/nights in a tent
with you or AH I wouldn't have to think twice. -
Heading for Edinburgh tomorrow night to hear him. Looking forward to it! Oh
how I wish !!!!!
--
Regards
Andy
www.chiadfhear.co.uk"Clodhopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend. -
Heading for Edinburgh tomorrow night to hear him. Looking forward to it! Oh
how I wish !!!!!
--
Regards
Andy
www.chiadfhear.co.uk"Clodhopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend. -
Heading for Edinburgh tomorrow night to hear him. Looking forward to it! Oh
how I wish !!!!!
--
Regards
Andy
www.chiadfhear.co.uk"Clodhopper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Just caught A.H's talk in Stirling last night. Brilliant stuff, the guys a
legend. -
Quoted message said:
I've heard him talk about three or four times over the years, when he's
been doing the rounds to raise more money for his next 8000 metre peak.
He's had a story about a Sigg bottle frozen to his climbing partners
unmentionables for at least the last two talks I've heard. His talking
style relies very heavily on playing to his Yorkshire roots. Essentially
he comes across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder and something to
prove by ticking a list, and needs you to cough up the money to help
sponsor his ambition.Things that my friends and I have commented on about his talks is that
you don't come away with the impression that he has much of an
appreciation of the historical perspective of the mountain routes he has
climbed, or of the social history of the people in the regions he's
climbed in. People like Edmund Hilary and also Doug Scott have done a
lot to try and raise awareness of, and to help the communities in the
mountain ranges that they've climbed in. Others like Stephen Venables
are able to write with authority and passion about the history of the
mountain routes they've tackled. If you want the master of the amusing
climbing anecdote then it has to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious
research about the routes he tackles and also varies his talks and
anecdotes on a regular basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk
and found them to be far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have been
enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things about anyone we
go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in different ways
.......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if we had the same likes
and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
Quoted message said:
I've heard him talk about three or four times over the years, when he's
been doing the rounds to raise more money for his next 8000 metre peak.
He's had a story about a Sigg bottle frozen to his climbing partners
unmentionables for at least the last two talks I've heard. His talking
style relies very heavily on playing to his Yorkshire roots. Essentially
he comes across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder and something to
prove by ticking a list, and needs you to cough up the money to help
sponsor his ambition.Things that my friends and I have commented on about his talks is that
you don't come away with the impression that he has much of an
appreciation of the historical perspective of the mountain routes he has
climbed, or of the social history of the people in the regions he's
climbed in. People like Edmund Hilary and also Doug Scott have done a
lot to try and raise awareness of, and to help the communities in the
mountain ranges that they've climbed in. Others like Stephen Venables
are able to write with authority and passion about the history of the
mountain routes they've tackled. If you want the master of the amusing
climbing anecdote then it has to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious
research about the routes he tackles and also varies his talks and
anecdotes on a regular basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk
and found them to be far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have been
enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things about anyone we
go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in different ways
.......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if we had the same likes
and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
Quoted message said:
I've heard him talk about three or four times over the years, when he's
been doing the rounds to raise more money for his next 8000 metre peak.
He's had a story about a Sigg bottle frozen to his climbing partners
unmentionables for at least the last two talks I've heard. His talking
style relies very heavily on playing to his Yorkshire roots. Essentially
he comes across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder and something to
prove by ticking a list, and needs you to cough up the money to help
sponsor his ambition.Things that my friends and I have commented on about his talks is that
you don't come away with the impression that he has much of an
appreciation of the historical perspective of the mountain routes he has
climbed, or of the social history of the people in the regions he's
climbed in. People like Edmund Hilary and also Doug Scott have done a
lot to try and raise awareness of, and to help the communities in the
mountain ranges that they've climbed in. Others like Stephen Venables
are able to write with authority and passion about the history of the
mountain routes they've tackled. If you want the master of the amusing
climbing anecdote then it has to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious
research about the routes he tackles and also varies his talks and
anecdotes on a regular basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk
and found them to be far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have been
enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things about anyone we
go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in different ways
.......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if we had the same likes
and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
In message <[email hidden]>
"sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote:[snip]
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If you want the master of the amusing climbing anecdote then it has
to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious research about the routes
he tackles and also varies his talks and anecdotes on a regular
basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk and found them to be
far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have
been enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things
about anyone we go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in
different ways ......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if
we had the same likes and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!I didn't say that I didn't enjoy Alan Hinke's talks, I wouldn't have
attended several if I'd disliked the early ones. I go to quite a lot of
talks by mountaineers, since many are given in Cambridge invited by the
many student climbing/mountaineering clubs, and I also go down to London
to some of the Alpine Club talks each year. It's simply that Alan
Hinkes isn't in my opinion in the ranks of the best mountaineering
speakers, he's good, but not the best.If you've never heard of Mick Fowler and you ever get an opportunity to
hear him talk, or even to read his two autobiographies, I recommend you
to do so. He's a good writer and speaker, and very good with the amusing
anecdotes. One of the great things about Mick Fowler is that he has
managed to be one of the worlds top mountaineers and climbers whilst
essentially remaining a complete amateur. He is married with children,
has a full time professional job with the inland revenue and goes on
major expeditions about every two years during his vacation time. He's
not a professional mountaineer or guide but he's noted for doing some of
the most spectacular and serious new mountain routes.Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
"> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" -
In message <[email hidden]>
"sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote:[snip]
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If you want the master of the amusing climbing anecdote then it has
to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious research about the routes
he tackles and also varies his talks and anecdotes on a regular
basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk and found them to be
far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have
been enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things
about anyone we go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in
different ways ......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if
we had the same likes and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!I didn't say that I didn't enjoy Alan Hinke's talks, I wouldn't have
attended several if I'd disliked the early ones. I go to quite a lot of
talks by mountaineers, since many are given in Cambridge invited by the
many student climbing/mountaineering clubs, and I also go down to London
to some of the Alpine Club talks each year. It's simply that Alan
Hinkes isn't in my opinion in the ranks of the best mountaineering
speakers, he's good, but not the best.If you've never heard of Mick Fowler and you ever get an opportunity to
hear him talk, or even to read his two autobiographies, I recommend you
to do so. He's a good writer and speaker, and very good with the amusing
anecdotes. One of the great things about Mick Fowler is that he has
managed to be one of the worlds top mountaineers and climbers whilst
essentially remaining a complete amateur. He is married with children,
has a full time professional job with the inland revenue and goes on
major expeditions about every two years during his vacation time. He's
not a professional mountaineer or guide but he's noted for doing some of
the most spectacular and serious new mountain routes.Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
"> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" -
In message <[email hidden]>
"sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote:[snip]
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If you want the master of the amusing climbing anecdote then it has
to be Mick Fowler, who again does serious research about the routes
he tackles and also varies his talks and anecdotes on a regular
basis. I've heard all these other climbers talk and found them to be
far more interesting than Alan Hinkes.Been to 4 of his talks over the last couple of years, and all have
been enjoyed by everyone. I am sure we could say adverse things
about anyone we go to see, we are all different and get enjoyment in
different ways ......... thankfully! Life would be really boring if
we had the same likes and dislikes.Now, I have never heard of Mick Fowler, but that don't make him a bad
person!I didn't say that I didn't enjoy Alan Hinke's talks, I wouldn't have
attended several if I'd disliked the early ones. I go to quite a lot of
talks by mountaineers, since many are given in Cambridge invited by the
many student climbing/mountaineering clubs, and I also go down to London
to some of the Alpine Club talks each year. It's simply that Alan
Hinkes isn't in my opinion in the ranks of the best mountaineering
speakers, he's good, but not the best.If you've never heard of Mick Fowler and you ever get an opportunity to
hear him talk, or even to read his two autobiographies, I recommend you
to do so. He's a good writer and speaker, and very good with the amusing
anecdotes. One of the great things about Mick Fowler is that he has
managed to be one of the worlds top mountaineers and climbers whilst
essentially remaining a complete amateur. He is married with children,
has a full time professional job with the inland revenue and goes on
major expeditions about every two years during his vacation time. He's
not a professional mountaineer or guide but he's noted for doing some of
the most spectacular and serious new mountain routes.Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
"> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" -
Quoted message said:
If you've never heard of Mick Fowler and you ever get an opportunity to
hear him talk, or even to read his two autobiographies, I recommend you
to do so. He's a good writer and speaker, and very good with the amusing
anecdotes. One of the great things about Mick Fowler is that he has
managed to be one of the worlds top mountaineers and climbers whilst
essentially remaining a complete amateur. He is married with children,
has a full time professional job with the inland revenue and goes on
major expeditions about every two years during his vacation time. He's
not a professional mountaineer or guide but he's noted for doing some of
the most spectacular and serious new mountain routes.Just Googled and he is at the Reghed Centre, Sat 11 Feb 06. Not sure if I
shall be in the Lakes then, unless there is lots of snow ...., but if we
are, might arrange a visit to his talk to get a flavour of his speaking
exploits.--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
Edinburgh last evening(Wednesday)
Fantastic speaker ... great humour in his presentation ... loved the
photography.
Now why couldn't I have done something like this? A LONG TIME AGO!!--
RegardsAndy
www.chiadfhear.co.uk
"sandy saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
If you've never heard of Mick Fowler and you ever get an opportunity to
hear him talk, or even to read his two autobiographies, I recommend you
to do so. He's a good writer and speaker, and very good with the amusing
anecdotes. One of the great things about Mick Fowler is that he has
managed to be one of the worlds top mountaineers and climbers whilst
essentially remaining a complete amateur. He is married with children,
has a full time professional job with the inland revenue and goes on
major expeditions about every two years during his vacation time. He's
not a professional mountaineer or guide but he's noted for doing some of
the most spectacular and serious new mountain routes.Just Googled and he is at the Reghed Centre, Sat 11 Feb 06. Not sure if I
shall be in the Lakes then, unless there is lots of snow ...., but if we
are, might arrange a visit to his talk to get a flavour of his speaking
exploits.--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
"> Fantastic speaker ... great humour in his presentation ... loved the
Quoted message said:
photography.
Now why couldn't I have done something like this? A LONG TIME AGO!!What, the fantastic speaking and photography ...... or the bit about being
out on high mountains?You can experience the mountain bit ........... well, I suppose to a certain
level and if the time and funds are available. I went up my first highish
mountain in 2001 at 52, Jebel Toubkal (14000ft) in the High Atlas Mt. That
was followed in 2002 with a trip to Nepal and Mera Peak at 21000ft. Didn't
quite make the summit because of heavy snow fall, a couple of hours away,
but stunning views and exciting times. Bolivia last year up three peaks
just under 20,000 ft (one guy in our group from Croydon was 65!). Next
April, at 57, back to Nepal for a circuit of 6 peaks just south of Everest,
finishing on Island Peak ....... I hope!I am no technical climber, but can still experience some of the thrills of
high altitude peaks ... even at my 'tender' age.--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement' -
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:59:53 +0000 (UTC), "Andy"
<[email hidden]> wrote:Re.: Mick Fowler's talks
Quoted message said:
Edinburgh last evening(Wednesday)
Fantastic speaker ... great humour in his presentation ... loved the
photography.
Now why couldn't I have done something like this? A LONG TIME AGO!!14th December Mick Fowler - ' On Thin Ice'
source: http://thenmc.org.uk
venue: my climbing club :-))))I've heard him a couple of times now and it is enjoyable.
(He spoke a year or so ago to us about a trip of his to the Lofoten
Islands, inspired a group of our members to investigate for
themselves; they had a great time, not half the exploits MF did, but
hey still had a great time.) -
<SteveO> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:59:53 +0000 (UTC), "Andy"
<[email hidden]> wrote:Re.: Mick Fowler's talks
Quoted message said:
Edinburgh last evening(Wednesday)
Fantastic speaker ... great humour in his presentation ... loved the
photography.
Now why couldn't I have done something like this? A LONG TIME AGO!!
Er, hello. Andy went to see Alan Hinkes not Mick Fowler. Do keep up SteveO -
homer said:
<SteveO> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:59:53 +0000 (UTC), "Andy"
<[email hidden]> wrote:Re.: Mick Fowler's talks
Quoted message said:
Edinburgh last evening(Wednesday)
Fantastic speaker ... great humour in his presentation ... loved the
photography.
Now why couldn't I have done something like this? A LONG TIME AGO!!
Er, hello. Andy went to see Alan Hinkes not Mick Fowler. Do keep up SteveOAh, sorry, its me old grey cells - not up to it these days ;-) and a
deft peice of editting by the looks of things. I was subconsciously
aware that we've had Alan Hinkes present at our club (he's a member)
before now so I was getting my slide shows muxed ip... but its still
Mick Fowler who's coming in a coupla weeks.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.