General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The dreaded supermarket shuffle

Started by Nancy Young · · Last activity · 26 posts · 259 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 August 2007
Last activity
23 August 2007
Original author
Nancy Young
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
259
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TammyM said:

    You guys are killing me with your talk of cool weather! Ohhhhh, the
    wonderful cookery of Autumn....

    Gotta love it 😉
    Yesterday, temperatures were under 22°C (71.6°F) at 10:30 AM, and fell to
    under 20 (68°F) in the evening. Today it seems a little warmer, and
    yesterday evening the stew and polenta treat went soooo well 😉
    --
    Vilco

    I only know it was gray and cool here, but I made crema di sedano and then
    had one of the first mele annurca with some cheddar recently smuggled in by
    a friend. More autumnal I can hardly be.

  2. Salutations, gentlefolk,

    Snickers said:

    <<
    When this happens in my fav store, I always get a kick out of walking
    up to
    the manager to sweetly ask for a map of the store layout. I love the
    puzzled expression on his/her face as well as the mad scrambling from
    counter to counter. The best part is to be in another part of the
    store
    when the manager comes back with the answer. I admit it. I never
    grew up.
    --
    "Hope everyone is happy in your head - we're all doin' pretty good in
    mine."
    --Unknown

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I went to the store today to pick up ingredients for meatloaf.
    It's meatloaf and mashed potatoes weather here, believe it or not,
    in the middle of August.

    I'd noticed some changes the other day when I was in there.
    Now it's flat out pandemonium. Stuff is off the shelves. Some
    rows of shelves are missing entirely. Armies of people putting
    items in new places.

    It's going to take me ages to figure out the new layout. This
    should be fun.

    nancy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Having recently worked in a byg retail groceries-and-everything-else
    chain, might I suggest that even the 'store coach' has little say over
    the store layout and shelf-stocking plan.

    Might I suggest that on www.hoovers.com you can find out the name and
    title of the CEO, and the address of the executive offices, for every
    major US corporation, and many overseas ones as well.

    As my mother - god rest her soul - would put it "Go right to the top"

    Yours, Jon Desmond

  3. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TammyM said:

    You guys are killing me with your talk of cool weather! Ohhhhh, the
    wonderful cookery of Autumn....

    Gotta love it 😉

    Quoted message said:

    It's gonna be 100F today here in Sacramento, California.

    Yesterday, temperatures were under 22°C (71.6°F) at 10:30 AM, and fell to
    under 20 (68°F) in the evening. Today it seems a little warmer, and
    yesterday evening the stew and polenta treat went soooo well 😉
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'


    Yesterday evening, here in Gemagnano (Torino), was 16°C and I have cooked a
    good polenta with toma cheese, reggiano cheese and dried porcini mushrooms
    on the top! And we have opened a good bottle of nebbiolo red wine,
    ofcourse🙂
    PS. Now , at 12,43 PM the temperature is of 19° ! Ohhh! I Am very well
    because I hate hot weather!

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora

  4. Pandora said:

    Yesterday evening, here in Gemagnano (Torino), was 16°C and I have cooked a
    good polenta with toma cheese, reggiano cheese and dried porcini mushrooms
    on the top! And we have opened a good bottle of nebbiolo red wine,
    ofcourse🙂
    PS. Now , at 12,43 PM the temperature is of 19° ! Ohhh! I Am very well
    because I hate hot weather!

    Pandora, just wanted to let you know that I made your recipe for
    Zucchini and Tomatoes little pans 'au gratin' a couple of days ago, and
    it was really delicious - a wonderful combination of flavours, herbs and
    textures. DH really enjoyed it - Thank you! :-)))

    Deb.
    --
    http://www.scientific-art.com

    "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
    He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

  5. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Vilco" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TammyM said:

    You guys are killing me with your talk of cool weather! Ohhhhh, the
    wonderful cookery of Autumn....

    Gotta love it 😉

    Quoted message said:

    It's gonna be 100F today here in Sacramento, California.

    Yesterday, temperatures were under 22°C (71.6°F) at 10:30 AM, and fell to
    under 20 (68°F) in the evening. Today it seems a little warmer, and
    yesterday evening the stew and polenta treat went soooo well 😉
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'


    Yesterday evening, here in Gemagnano (Torino), was 16°C and I have cooked
    a good polenta with toma cheese, reggiano cheese and dried porcini
    mushrooms on the top! And we have opened a good bottle of nebbiolo red
    wine, ofcourse🙂
    PS. Now , at 12,43 PM the temperature is of 19° ! Ohhh! I Am very well
    because I hate hot weather!

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora


    We have been very lucky here in the Shenandoah Valley the past few days.
    Right now it is 66F 19C, and high in the 70's during the day. It is very
    lucky for us because we had some very smelly chemicals in our kitchen from
    new countertops, etc. and had to leave the windows open as we didn't want it
    circulating through the air conditioner. Pandora, I hate hot weather, too.

    Your polenta and regg cheese and dried porcini sounds so delicious. I
    wonder if you have posted this recipe previously. You are so good to post
    receipes when we ask. This one sounds like I would like to make it if you
    have time to post it.

    I will also serve it with a good bottle of nebbiolo. It is one of my
    favorite grapes.
    Dee Dee

  6. "Cryambers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It drives me crazy, especially since I make my shopping lists based on
    where things are in the store. I find that having things listed in
    more or less the same order in which I'll encounter them cuts down on
    forgetting things on the list. It's gotten increasingly difficult to
    rely on that system.

    pat

    Local grocery/supermarket shopping is not much of a pain anymore. I hit the
    produce aisle, sometimes the yogurt for a fresh supply to seed my new batch,
    and if I'm out of it, the dried pasta aisle, though I keep a bucket of
    various types handy.
    Everything else is bought from other individual non-supermarket places.

    I don't know how I got into this shopping pattern, but over the years, it
    evolved. There is nothing I dislike more than to shop at supermarkets.
    Should've been born European, in that respect.

    But I do hit the big ones about every 6 weeks-2 months, TJ's, WF, Wegmans.
    Maybe that's why it's fun.
    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.