Zebee Johnstone said:In aus.bicycle on Tue, 23 May 2006 14:49:50 +0800
DeF said:For someone who grew up in Adelaide and got his
cycling legs riding through the hills, this is
a tragic result. 70% against closing the centre
of the city.
If you grew up there you must know how most city traffic is through
traffic. Sure, there are bypasses, but many people find that the best
way to get where they are going (such as the sports fields, uni, zoo,
North Adelaide, and even points well north) is hey diddle diddle,
straight up the middle.
be interesting to know how much is through traffic but when I lived
there the answer was "lots".
Zebee
Hmm. Can't say I really noticed this but then I lived in the
hills and I went somewhere I usually went around the city.
Fullerton Rd, South Tce and West Tce spring to mind. Certainly
roads like Glen Osmond Rd, Anzac Hwy and Port Rd dump a heap
of traffic on the city. I can see that King William Rd would be
a major throughfare (note that this was closed off for the TdU
final crit this year).
Still, after the TdU this year, it's a disappointing result.
DeF.
--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.