UK and Europe · Public discussion

That Cyclist are Nice, Motorists are Mean...

Started by Not Responding · · Last activity · 15 posts · 496 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 March 2005
Last activity
16 March 2005
Original author
Not Responding
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
496
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. That Cyclist[1] are Nice, Motorists[2] are Mean was once again confirmed
    to me on my commute home this evening.

    Trudging up The Hill I watched two children, about 8-ish, in the
    distance waiting to cross the road. By the time I reached them, they
    were obviously getting frustrated and cold; despite some cars turning
    off at junctions just past them, no one had stopped to let them cross.
    So I did. Took the primary position and said "take your time". For my
    troubles and as they began to cross, the car behind overtook and damn
    near flattened them. Meanwhile another driver was hooting away in
    complaint at, oh, 30 seconds delay. THIS SORT OF THING MAKES ME CROSS.

    Shortly afterwards, I come to my blind bend. Unlit country lane, no
    pavements, narrow and bending to the right. EVERY BLOODY DAY, I will be
    overtaken on this bend by someone who cannot have an inkling as to what
    is round the corner or coming round the corner. Today, I thought "sod
    this, I'll ride as far out as I dare". I left barely enough room for
    whatever may be coming round the corner and felt a little nervous. BUT
    SOME [censored] STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    Someday there is going to be a prang here. Or, as there are quite often
    prangs here, it is more accurate to say I will see a prang here someday.
    I just hope that the overtaking plonker is driving a bigger, heavier car
    and is going faster than the poor sod coming the other way. At least
    then I stand a cat's chance that the maths will mean the combined
    wreckage doesn't land on top of me in a ditch. Unless vectors are
    involved, of course.

    But don't get me wrong, I love commuting by bike again.

    [1] in a sample size of "me".
    [2] 95% of a sample size of thousands.

  2. Not Responding said:

    then I stand a cat's chance that the maths will mean the combined
    wreckage doesn't land on top of me in a ditch. Unless vectors are
    involved, of course.

    Tricky things, vectors. They can diverge and curl and all that
    nonsense, wrigglesome things that they are.

    Why not get a video camera and a friend to cycle round this corner a few
    times (getting the video camera to cycle is tricky, I know) and present
    the evidence of the overtakerers to your local plod?

    R.

  3. Not Responding said:

    That Cyclist[1] are Nice, Motorists[2] are Mean was once again
    confirmed to me on my commute home this evening.

    Trudging up The Hill I watched two children, about 8-ish, in the
    distance waiting to cross the road. By the time I reached them, they
    were obviously getting frustrated and cold; despite some cars turning
    off at junctions just past them, no one had stopped to let them cross.
    So I did. Took the primary position and said "take your time". For my
    troubles and as they began to cross, the car behind overtook and damn
    near flattened them. Meanwhile another driver was hooting away in
    complaint at, oh, 30 seconds delay. THIS SORT OF THING MAKES ME CROSS.

    Always unwise to stop and gesture any pedestrian, but especially kids,
    across whether you are on bike or in car. Not only does it put them at risk
    from someone behind, unable to see any obstruction or signal from you
    warning of a hazard ( ? ) and passing a stationary vehicle but also from
    traffic coming the other way, as the kids having been given an instruction
    from an adult ( you ) to cross often assume that you have checked traffic
    coming the other way and do not look themselves.

    Solution: Stop, get off/out and guide them across the road

    btw did you indicate to the car behind other than by your road position?

    pk

  4. Not Responding said:

    Shortly afterwards, I come to my blind bend. Unlit country lane, no
    pavements, narrow and bending to the right. EVERY BLOODY DAY, I will be
    overtaken on this bend by someone who cannot have an inkling as to what
    is round the corner or coming round the corner. Today, I thought "sod
    this, I'll ride as far out as I dare". I left barely enough room for
    whatever may be coming round the corner and felt a little nervous. BUT
    SOME [censored] STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    Well well, and there was me thinking the only drivers with x-ray vision
    lived in rural Perthshire. I find it incredible that drivers pull out
    and pass me on blind bend after blind bend. Ok, there's less traffic
    here than many other parts of the country, but that only reduces the
    odds slightly on a head-on at the crown of the bend.

    --
    Brian G

  5. Brian G said:

    Well well, and there was me thinking the only drivers with x-ray vision
    lived in rural Perthshire. I find it incredible that drivers pull out
    and pass me on blind bend after blind bend. Ok, there's less traffic
    here than many other parts of the country, but that only reduces the
    odds slightly on a head-on at the crown of the bend.

    I didn't recount that one on the hell ride..

    There I am, pounding away trying to keep the pace up. I come round a
    gentle bend. Picture the scene, typical rural road where there is a
    raised verge crowned by hedges, drystone walls and the odd tree or two.

    So I have just come round this bend about 30-40m ahead of my companion.
    A car is coming the other way at a typical rural Perthshire speed.
    Suddenly it locks all the wheels and slides into the verge as another
    car overtakes Andrew on the bend. Seems fairly typical to me, and only
    just missed a prang.

    When will they ever learn?

    ...d

  6. Not Responding said:

    Shortly afterwards, I come to my blind bend. Unlit country lane, no
    pavements, narrow and bending to the right. EVERY BLOODY DAY, I will be
    overtaken on this bend by someone who cannot have an inkling as to what
    is round the corner or coming round the corner. Today, I thought "sod
    this, I'll ride as far out as I dare". I left barely enough room for
    whatever may be coming round the corner and felt a little nervous. BUT
    SOME [censored] STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    I do this every day. 90+% will wait for a straight bit to overtake

  7. "Not Responding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Shortly afterwards, I come to my blind bend. Unlit country lane, no
    pavements, narrow and bending to the right. EVERY BLOODY DAY, I will be
    overtaken on this bend by someone who cannot have an inkling as to what is
    round the corner or coming round the corner. Today, I thought "sod this,
    I'll ride as far out as I dare". I left barely enough room for whatever
    may be coming round the corner and felt a little nervous. BUT SOME [censored]
    STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    happened to me about two years ago, similar to as you describe: me, cycling
    up steep hill approaching sharp blind bend on narrow country road, white van
    screaming up hill behind me. As I approach bend, I can see a car coming the
    other way, so I held up my right hand to warn the van driver not to
    overtake, but he carried on, not quite straight into the car, but both
    vehicles seriously damaged, fortunately both drivers ok. This was a very
    quiet road, and 999 times out of 1,000 this wouldn't have been a problem,
    but this incident does demonstrate that if the repetition of risk, even at
    low likelihoods, collisions will occur. Who was the perceptive roads
    minister who said that most accidents were the result of low risks being
    taken millions of times every day?

  8. in message <[email hidden]>, David Martin

    (') said:
    Brian G said:

    Well well, and there was me thinking the only drivers with x-ray
    vision
    lived in rural Perthshire. I find it incredible that drivers pull
    out and pass me on blind bend after blind bend. Ok, there's less
    traffic here than many other parts of the country, but that only
    reduces the odds slightly on a head-on at the crown of the bend.

    I didn't recount that one on the hell ride..

    There I am, pounding away trying to keep the pace up. I come round a
    gentle bend. Picture the scene, typical rural road where there is a
    raised verge crowned by hedges, drystone walls and the odd tree or
    two.

    So I have just come round this bend about 30-40m ahead of my
    companion. A car is coming the other way at a typical rural Perthshire
    speed. Suddenly it locks all the wheels and slides into the verge as
    another car overtakes Andrew on the bend. Seems fairly typical to me,
    and only just missed a prang.

    My partner was similarly riding down a country road a couple of months
    ago when one of that nice Mr Wiseman's jolly nice milk tankers overtook
    her on a blind bend. Cue much shrieking of brakes as it ground to a
    halt about two inches off a head-on with a Range Rover. Cue, slightly
    later, one exceeding nasty nastygram to that nice Mr Wiseman.

    Quoted message said:

    When will they ever learn?

    Where have all the flowers gone?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
    patiently for the RAC to arrive.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    <snip various tales of overtaking on blind bends>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When will they ever learn?

    What worries me is that the instinctive reaction for the overtaking
    driver, faced with an imminent head-on, may be to forget they're still
    beside the cyclist, and yank the steering wheel left.......

    --
    Colin

  10. On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:17:27 +0000, Not Responding <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:

    I left barely enough room for
    whatever may be coming round the corner and felt a little nervous. BUT
    SOME [censored] STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    Obviously the car was fitted with CageGlass[tm]
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Cage_Glass

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  11. "Andrew Templeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    BUT SOME [censored] STILL OVERTOOK ME.

    I do this every day. 90+% will wait for a straight bit to overtake

    Maybe Hertfordshire drivers are more sensible. Because, when I lived down
    there I had a bend that actually turned up somewhere on most of my routes
    that was a blind bend.

    About 99.9% waited behind and about 30% cave a polite 'thank you' toot as I
    waved them through (as I had sight of the clear or otherwise road well in
    advance of them).

    Of course Johnny Plonker will have his fun.

    T

  12. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Obviously the car was fitted with CageGlass[tm]
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/Cage_Glass

    Sorry, not a spot on a RealMan saddle [1]. In this case, imitation is
    beneath contempt.

    T

    [1] http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

  13. "Mark Tranchant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony W said:

    About 99.9% waited behind and about 30% cave a polite 'thank you' toot


    as I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    waved them through (as I had sight of the clear or otherwise road well


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    advance of them).

    Er... so you wave them through even if it's not clear? Is that why 70%
    don't thank you?

    No. Most waited. Of those I waved through (which I did only when the road
    was clear and it was safe to do so) about 30% acknowledged with a toot or a
    cheery wave.

  14. Colin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    <snip various tales of overtaking on blind bends>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When will they ever learn?

    What worries me is that the instinctive reaction for the overtaking
    driver, faced with an imminent head-on, may be to forget they're still
    beside the cyclist, and yank the steering wheel left.......

    Forget? Realise it's "only" a cyclist, more like...

    James

  15. Muppets! By the way, remember those "motorists hardly ever go through
    red lights compared with cyclists" flame wars? I paid attention
    yesterday, and I saw one or more cars going through on red at every
    single traffic light I passed through on my 6 mile fetch toddler from
    nursery trip.

    The taxi driver was a pretty decent guy, though. See Chris's taxi
    thread.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.