General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Thanks All was (Re: Block Party (groan)

Started by Dog3 · · Last activity · 12 posts · 275 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 September 2005
Last activity
1 October 2005
Original author
Dog3
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
275
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tara <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    One more idea -- I think I'd bring corn on the cob to grill. You can
    pull the silks off at home, leaving the husks on, and soak the corn
    in a cooler full of salted and sugared water. Take the cooler to the
    party and throw the corn on the grill.

    Tara

    Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet what
    I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite and
    I'll take another dish. Thanks again.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  2. "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet
    what
    I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite and
    I'll take another dish. Thanks again.

    Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.

    nancy

  3. Nancy Young said:

    "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet
    what
    I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite and
    I'll take another dish. Thanks again.

    Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.

    nancy

    I agree.. nor are you obligated to make things "kid focused" either. I
    don't quite get that part in everyones responses? Nothing would bore me
    more than a party of nothing but "kid food".
    Goomba

  4. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet
    what
    I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll take another dish. Thanks again.

    Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.

    nancy

    I agree.. nor are you obligated to make things "kid focused" either. I
    don't quite get that part in everyones responses? Nothing would bore me
    more than a party of nothing but "kid food".
    Goomba

    Kudos for this answer! I wouldn't have any idea what to bring to a block
    party that kids might like. Let the people who have kids (there must be
    more than just one such house on the block?) bring the "kid food".

    Jill

  5. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote

    >Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet
    >what
    >I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I'll take another dish. Thanks again.

    Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.

    nancy

    I agree.. nor are you obligated to make things "kid focused" either. I
    don't quite get that part in everyones responses? Nothing would bore me
    more than a party of nothing but "kid food".
    Goomba

    Kudos for this answer! I wouldn't have any idea what to bring to a block
    party that kids might like. Let the people who have kids (there must be
    more than just one such house on the block?) bring the "kid food".

    Jill

    All of you are right. I was going to make rice krispie treats, little
    spider cookies and stuff but nixed those ideas. I'll do the veggie tray and
    I'm thinking about some type of bar cookie all can enjoy.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  6. "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >
    >
    >>Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure


    yet

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>what
    >>I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite


    and

    Quoted message said:

    >>I'll take another dish. Thanks again.
    >
    >
    > Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    > solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    > knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.
    >
    > nancy

    I agree.. nor are you obligated to make things "kid focused" either. I
    don't quite get that part in everyones responses? Nothing would bore me
    more than a party of nothing but "kid food".
    Goomba

    Kudos for this answer! I wouldn't have any idea what to bring to a


    block

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    party that kids might like. Let the people who have kids (there must be
    more than just one such house on the block?) bring the "kid food".

    Jill

    All of you are right. I was going to make rice krispie treats, little
    spider cookies and stuff but nixed those ideas. I'll do the veggie tray


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about some type of bar cookie all can enjoy.

    Michael


    See, being childless (me, I mean) no matter what "kid food" I decided to
    bring would turn out to be something the parents would tell me they don't
    let their children eat. Then what? Wasted money or leftovers in the trash?
    No point in that.

    I do hope you enjoy the block party; you aren't sounding very hopeful.
    Maybe turn Bart the kitty loose on anyone who gets out of hand. <G>

    Jill

  7. Dog3 wrote on 30 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about some type of bar cookie all can enjoy.

    This usually goes over well and is fairly fast and easy.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chocolate Oh Henry Squares

    cookies, desserts

    Whole graham crackers
    3/4 cup butter
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    -----Icing----
    1 1/4 cups icing sugar
    3 tablespoon Butter
    1/4 cup cocoa
    5 tsp strong hot coffee

    Line a 9 x 9 pan with whole crackers trimming to fit. Set aside

    Put butter, sugar and milk in saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and
    stir in chips, when chips have melted add the crumbs and nuts. Stir to mix.
    Pour over crackers in pan.

    Cover with whole crackers trimming to fit. Cool before frosting.

    NOTE: Trying to discover/re-produce what made the first batch so good.
    Possibly heat in a 350F oven 10 minutes covered (for best
    effect) .
    After top crackers are in place but before icing.

    Icing - Beat all together in small bowl adjusting liquid as needed. Spread
    over crackers. Cover and allow to stand a few hours so crackers soften.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per serving: 118 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (56% calories from fat); 1g
    Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 13mg Cholesterol; 70mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2
    Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

    Yield: 36 servings

    Preparation Time: 0:00

    ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.69 **

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  8. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Nancy Young wrote:
    > > "Dog3" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > >
    > >
    > >>Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not
    > >>sure


    yet

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >>what
    > >>I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a
    > >>definite
    and
    > >>I'll take another dish. Thanks again.
    > >
    > >
    > > Hope you have a good time, but unless I'm mistaken, you're not
    > > solely responsible for feeding the entire neighborhood, don't
    > > knock yourself out. Other people with bring stuff.
    > >
    > > nancy
    >
    > I agree.. nor are you obligated to make things "kid focused"
    > either. I don't quite get that part in everyones responses?
    > Nothing would bore me more than a party of nothing but "kid food".
    > Goomba

    Kudos for this answer! I wouldn't have any idea what to bring to a


    block

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    party that kids might like. Let the people who have kids (there
    must be more than just one such house on the block?) bring the "kid
    food".

    Jill

    All of you are right. I was going to make rice krispie treats,
    little spider cookies and stuff but nixed those ideas. I'll do the
    veggie tray


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about some type of bar cookie all can enjoy.

    Michael


    See, being childless (me, I mean) no matter what "kid food" I decided
    to bring would turn out to be something the parents would tell me they
    don't let their children eat. Then what? Wasted money or leftovers
    in the trash? No point in that.

    I do hope you enjoy the block party; you aren't sounding very hopeful.
    Maybe turn Bart the kitty loose on anyone who gets out of hand. <G>

    Jill

    Maybe I'll leave Bart at home and haul out Hoot and Missy. I know for sure
    they don't like kids. Especially Hoot. She stalks them and will bite them
    if they mess with her.

    Michael

  9. Mr Libido Incognito <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Dog3 wrote on 30 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about some type of bar cookie all can enjoy.

    This usually goes over well and is fairly fast and easy.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chocolate Oh Henry Squares

    <recipe snipped and saved>

    I'll make these for myself but will not share them at a block party.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  10. Dog3 said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    I do hope you enjoy the block party; you aren't sounding very hopeful.
    Maybe turn Bart the kitty loose on anyone who gets out of hand. <G>

    Jill

    Maybe I'll leave Bart at home and haul out Hoot and Missy. I know for sure
    they don't like kids. Especially Hoot. She stalks them and will bite them
    if they mess with her.

    Michael

    Who is Bart? When did you get another kitty? Please, tell me all
    about him. Thank you.

    Have fun tomorrow. I hope that all goes well with the block party. I
    would make brownies and let it go at that. I know that they are always
    a hit and they are easy to make.

  11. Dog3 said:

    Tara <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Thanks Tara and to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm not sure yet what
    I'll take but I'll decide tonight. I think the crudite is a definite and
    I'll take another dish. Thanks again.


    I had something last week that was very simple, yet absolutely
    devine... (Hass) avocado spread on bread as if it was butter or soft
    cheese. It wasn't premashed either. You just cut off a slice and
    smush it on the bread with your knife. The bread was a choice of
    olive bread or baguette. I didn't taste any of the olive bread, but I
    heard it was very good. I'm bringing some this evening.
    http://www.presidio.gov/Visiting/Events/FIF.htm Not sure what other
    food we'll picnic on. Popcorn is a must during the movie though.

    wait... there's more!
    bluegrass
    http://strictlybluegrass.com/
    latin jazz
    http://www.sfgate.com/listings/event.php?events,e209162
    blessing of the animals
    http://www.sfgate.com/listings/event.php?events,e208437
    blessing of the fishing fleet
    http://www.sfgate.com/listings/event.php?events,e171323
    kids activities
    http://www.sfgate.com/listings/pages.php?events,kids
    fleet week 2005
    http://www.sfgate.com/listings/event.php?events,e208169

  12. Margaret Suran <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Dog3 said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    I do hope you enjoy the block party; you aren't sounding very
    hopeful. Maybe turn Bart the kitty loose on anyone who gets out of
    hand. <G>

    Jill

    Maybe I'll leave Bart at home and haul out Hoot and Missy. I know for
    sure they don't like kids. Especially Hoot. She stalks them and will
    bite them if they mess with her.

    Michael

    Who is Bart? When did you get another kitty? Please, tell me all
    about him. Thank you.

    Bart is one of the strays we've been feeding for a couple of years. Bart
    has all of a sudden decided to become friendly. If all goes well, I'll
    have her vetted and integrated into the household before really bad weather
    hits. If I can get a pic of her, I'll send it to you. She looks just like
    Hoot but is really skinny. Hoot is a chub 😉

    Quoted message said:


    Have fun tomorrow. I hope that all goes well with the block party. I
    would make brownies and let it go at that. I know that they are always
    a hit and they are easy to make.

    I never thought of brownies. Hmmm... yet another idea. Thanks.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.