Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Tech, Tools, and Toys Opinions?

Started by sgnden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,222 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
3 August 2005
Last activity
3 August 2005
Original author
sgnden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,222
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello: I just bought a new Trek 5000. Man, hard to find in a 60cm...but working with a good LBS (makes it worth the $150 or so I "left on the table"😉.

    Anyway - I would appreciate any of your thoughts on the add-on's you like.

    Pedals (I am leaning toward Shimano Ultegra)
    Shoes
    Helmet
    Saddle (if the stock does not work for me)
    Emerg Air

    Any input would be great! Thanks!

    Now to find some riding buddies in my area!!

    SG

  2. first you need a half decent cycle computer.
    at least one with average speed.

    then the next thing you should get is a heart rate monitor. I wouldnt get one built into the cycle computer.. cos then you take it when you go running also.

    everything else comes secondry.

    Emerg Air - whats this?

    Then get pedals and shoes.

    And then if you want to increase your likelyhood of dying.. buy a helmet.

  3. complience said:

    first you need a half decent cycle computer.
    at least one with average speed.

    then the next thing you should get is a heart rate monitor. I wouldnt get one built into the cycle computer.. cos then you take it when you go running also.

    everything else comes secondry.

    Emerg Air - whats this?

    Then get pedals and shoes.

    And then if you want to increase your likelyhood of dying.. buy a helmet.

    These suggestions might be the worst response to a question that I have ever seen on this forum.

  4. Scotty_Dog said:

    These suggestions might be the worst response to a question that I have ever seen on this forum.


    I'm glad it's not just my imagination! lol What are your thoughts?

  5. I would invest in a helmet first. Then perhaps purchase an inexpensive computer (I say inexpensive b/c that's always something you can upgrade later once you determine the features that are important to you). I have the cateye mity 8 and it's just a simple 8 function, but that's all I wanted (cadence would be nice, but I can live w/o it).

    I would definitely look into a clipless system, and that will make a significant difference. I have the ultegra pedals on my bike, and I have been very impressed with them. They aren't super light, but for the price you're paying, I believe them to be one of the best pedals available. As for shoes, go to the LBS and try them on. I tried on a lot of shoes, some fit me well, some didn't.

    As for the saddle, measure how far your sit bones are apart, then search for a saddle which is slightly wider than the distance b/t your sitbones. Saddles you just have to try out, so keep trying them until you find one that fits you well.

    Perhaps search the web for cycling clubs in your area, they are a great way to get introduced into the sport!

  6. I apologize if I'm insulting your intelligence, but a few other items that you should certainly carry with you:

    Spare tube
    Tire Levers
    Patch Kit
    Chain Tool
    Set of Allen Keys
    Frame Pump
    (all the above can be purchased for under $80 combined)

  7. crb189 said:

    I apologize if I'm insulting your intelligence, but a few other items that you should certainly carry with you:

    Spare tube
    Tire Levers
    Patch Kit
    Chain Tool
    Set of Allen Keys
    Frame Pump
    (all the above can be purchased for under $80 combined)


    No prob regarding potential offense...I am certainly no expert (but I play one on TV!).

    QUESTION: I didn't know anyone used those pumps that attach to the frame anymore (if that's what you mean)...aren't those CO2 quick-inflation things the way to go?

    Thanks!

  8. sgnden said:

    No prob regarding potential offense...I am certainly no expert (but I play one on TV!).

    QUESTION: I didn't know anyone used those pumps that attach to the frame anymore (if that's what you mean)...aren't those CO2 quick-inflation things the way to go?

    Thanks!

    I have never used the CO2 pumps, so I can't comment on them. A lot of people I ride with use frame pumps (yes, the ones that attach to the frame), and mine has saved me countless times. CO2 or frame pump, it's very important that you have at least one of them on you for emergency situations.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.