General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Taste of Flax Oil changed... Radically...!

Started by Kenneth · · Last activity · 7 posts · 613 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 March 2005
Last activity
10 March 2005
Original author
Kenneth
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
613
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  2. Another name for flaxseed oil is Linseed oil and it is used for painting
    supplies.
    Purity!

    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  3. Piezo Guru said:

    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."


    Quoted message said:

    Another name for flaxseed oil is Linseed oil and it is used for painting
    supplies.
    Purity!

    Hello again,

    Yes, these are two different names for the same thing. But
    what might that have to do with my question?

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  4. Smell some Linseed oil sometime and that is what you are describing.
    Check into oil processing
    The first squeeze is Extra Virgin
    The second squeeze is Virgin
    The third squeeze is done with heat and is usually rancid is normal cooking
    oil
    The fourth and fifth squeeze is done with solvents and becomes some cooking
    oils, supplements to the ignoramus takers and paint thinners. The solvent
    are assumed to have evaporated after the extraction.

    Carbon tetrachloride was used in this fashion to extract caffiene from
    coffee bean until about 10 years ago. The solution was sold to chocolate bar
    and soda pop manufacturers. Before my time and when is was widely used for
    cleaning carbin tet caused people to die that evening of usage in some
    cases.

    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Piezo Guru said:

    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."


    Quoted message said:

    Another name for flaxseed oil is Linseed oil and it is used for painting
    supplies.
    Purity!

    Hello again,

    Yes, these are two different names for the same thing. But
    what might that have to do with my question?

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  5. May I suggest that you grind your own flax seed.
    Pressing the seed for oil naturely renders the
    fats more prone to oxidation. Reduce your omega-6
    oils. Eat some wild caught fatty fish. Use a saturated
    fat in any frying you do palm oil is an example. Don't
    fry with butter. Limit frying.
    Avoid lard and hydrogenated fats.
    At least the limit use of all refined
    fats such as soy oil, sunflower oil,
    olive oil, canola oil, lard, butter,
    corn oil, flax seed oil, peanut oil, palm "oil",
    and coconut shortening.

    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  6. John Que said:


    "Kenneth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy,

    On the advice of my doc, I started taking flax oil several
    months ago. I bought a quart of Barlean's Flax Oil (the
    clear, rather than the high lignan sort) and found that it
    had an extremely intense taste, aroma, and after taste. It
    was like eating paint <g>.

    I went through a quart over time, and bought another.

    It had the same unpleasant characteristics, but I saw it
    through.

    I then bought quart number three...

    It has no taste or aroma that I can detect, and has only a
    very subtle aftertaste.

    I called Barlean's to try to learn more about why a product
    that I was using for medicinal purposes (better than statins
    by the way...) varied so radically.

    As the nice woman talked to me, I could see the smoke coming
    out of the phone...

    And so, this post:

    What might cause the change?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    May I suggest that you grind your own flax seed.
    Pressing the seed for oil naturely renders the
    fats more prone to oxidation. Reduce your omega-6
    oils. Eat some wild caught fatty fish. Use a saturated
    fat in any frying you do palm oil is an example. Don't
    fry with butter. Limit frying.
    Avoid lard and hydrogenated fats.
    At least the limit use of all refined
    fats such as soy oil, sunflower oil,
    olive oil, canola oil, lard, butter,
    corn oil, flax seed oil, peanut oil, palm "oil",
    and coconut shortening.

    Hello again,

    Of course you can suggest anything you wish. Your comments
    are most interesting (though unrelated to my question).

    'Gotta love Usenet...

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  7. "John Que" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    May I suggest that you grind your own flax seed.

    In India the flax seed is roasted with
    red chillies - coriander seeds - cumin seeds.
    All are coarsly powdered and little salt added is a tasty food item .
    Great recipe on bread / rice . The fiber helps reducing cholesterol
    and the oil content lubricate the joints .

    - kp

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.